PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My thoughts on what positions the Patriots should draft.

A few more weeks passed. Same old story.

Give Butler a true running mate. For all the crap given to Ryan he is an okay #2 but not special. Rowe is good in certain match ups. I would keep Ryan for the right price but you want some insurance in case Butler misses a few games. No one can even pretend to fill in as the #1 CB. I don't think we will ever have something like a Talib/Harris combo but I think we can improve here.

Sheard has stepped up but has shown he is not dependable to be "the guy". Flowers is good but more of a pass rusher than an all rounder.

They certainly could use that true DE top talent and then fill in Flowers/Sheard/Nink?/Long? behind him.

DT is a bit thin. They have 3 true guys and Branch has i think 1-2 good years left. Something to keep an eye on.

2nd LB has been passable with Van Noy and McCellin stepping up recently but still could use a true full time starter opposite Hightower.

On offense assuming Blount can have 1 more decent year they are good at RB. The OL starters are fine but a depth peice that can be had in the 4th or 5th be nice.

At WR I want to keep it as is and go with Amendola 1 more year (he will play ball on his contract like he always does).

TE I don't think they move on from Gronk and Bennett will stay I am pretty sure. No need to worry about the 3rd guy but take a shot late.

Really I run the same guys out there next year. The biggest issue on offense is if you trade Jimmy G how do you feel about Brisset as your back up? You need to give him a shot but I would like to draft another QB late cause at this point I want 2 under studies at all times.

Last edited:
I used to track and assess roster quality and depth but low and behold 5 years has gone by...

Here is a look at the 2017 team (as of December), ranked by unit (Highest to Lowest)
QB
OL
WR
TE - depends on #87
RB - need a big body
S - starters return
CB
DT
LB
DE

Google Sheet

Last edited:
A few more weeks passed. Same old story.

Give Butler a true running mate. For all the crap given to Ryan he is an okay #2 but not special. Rowe is good in certain match ups. I would keep Ryan for the right price but you want some insurance in case Butler misses a few games. No one can even pretend to fill in as the #1 CB. I don't think we will ever have something like a Talib/Harris combo but I think we can improve here.

Sheard has stepped up but has shown he is not dependable to be "the guy". Flowers is good but more of a pass rusher than an all rounder.

They certainly could use that true DE top talent and then fill in Flowers/Sheard/Nink?/Long? behind him.

DT is a bit thin. They have 3 true guys and Branch has i think 1-2 good years left. Something to keep an eye on.

2nd LB has been passable with Van Noy and McCellin stepping up recently but still could use a true full time starter opposite Hightower.

On offense assuming Blount can have 1 more decent year they are good at RB. The OL starters are fine but a depth peice that can be had in the 4th or 5th be nice.

At WR I want to keep it as is and go with Amendola 1 more year (he will play ball on his contract like he always does).

TE I don't think they move on from Gronk and Bennett will stay I am pretty sure. No need to worry about the 3rd guy but take a shot late.

Really I run the same guys out there next year. The biggest issue on offense is if you trade Jimmy G how do you feel about Brisset as your back up? You need to give him a shot but I would like to draft another QB late cause at this point I want 2 under studies at all times.

Good write-up, and I agree with your list of needs, and for the reasons you gave. Most of these needs
can be addressed via either the draft or free agency. One position better-filled via the draft, however,
would be OL, specifically LT. The difference between having Solder this season and not having him at
this time last season is the difference between night and day. And Bill still does not have anybody in the building remotely capable of replacing him.
Also, if Michael Floyd is not a member of the team next season, then somebody with his downfield catch radius needs to be. Malcolm Mitchell will help there, but it would be good to have another, even taller and longer WR, to help in the contested-catch department.

Good write-up, and I agree with your list of needs, and for the reasons you gave. Most of these needs
can be addressed via either the draft or free agency. One position better-filled via the draft, however,
would be OL, specifically LT. The difference between having Solder this season and not having him at
this time last season is the difference between night and day. And Bill still does not have anybody in the building remotely capable of replacing him.
Also, if Michael Floyd is not a member of the team next season, then somebody with his downfield catch radius needs to be. Malcolm Mitchell will help there, but it would be good to have another, even taller and longer WR, to help in the contested-catch department.

For a big WR, Kenny Golladay out of Northern Illinois is a name I heard that intrigues me. I don't scout players as a lot of you seem to do (and so well!) on here, so what's the board's opinion on him?

For a big WR, Kenny Golladay out of Northern Illinois is a name I heard that intrigues me. I don't scout players as a lot of you seem to do (and so well!) on here, so what's the board's opinion on him?

I'll be honest, I haven't gotten around to him yet. I'll try to watch some tonight. In the meantime, here is a great resource if you want to try your hand. Kenny Golladay | Draft Breakdown

I watched several games last night. He's definitely got impressive athleticism for his size. Good blocker, nice quickness, and has some long speed. His routes, however, leave a LOT to be desired. His hands are also quite suspect. I think he's way too raw to play in this offense as a rookie. For the general NFL, his size and speed probably earns him a 5th pick, but for the Patriots, I'd be surprised if they took him before the 7th.

I watched several games last night. He's definitely got impressive athleticism for his size. Good blocker, nice quickness, and has some long speed. His routes, however, leave a LOT to be desired. His hands are also quite suspect. I think he's way too raw to play in this offense as a rookie. For the general NFL, his size and speed probably earns him a 5th pick, but for the Patriots, I'd be surprised if they took him before the 7th.

Thanks.

I think if we were to take a receiver I would hope it would be Corey Davis. He's a bigger receiver, he's got good speed, route running is good, and his hands are very reliable. I'm thinking he could be a more aggressive and durable Aaron Dobson. But if not him then I'm hoping and have my fingers crossed that we take my binky Evan engram. I think his ability to play both tight end or wide receiver would give bb a a new chess piece to maneuver around the field. Or at least I'm hoping to bb sees it that way.

I think if we were to take a receiver I would hope it would be Corey Davis. He's a bigger receiver, he's got good speed, route running is good, and his hands are very reliable. I'm thinking he could be a more aggressive and durable Aaron Dobson. But if not him then I'm hoping and have my fingers crossed that we take my binky Evan engram. I think his ability to play both tight end or wide receiver would give bb a a new chess piece to maneuver around the field. Or at least I'm hoping to bb sees it that way.

I don't mind taking a WR in rounds 4+ but with 3 of the top 4 starters returning WR is in decent shape (Edelman, Hogan and Mitchell). Most of the defense barely has any quality starters, DE and DT would be where I think they should focus.

I don't mind taking a WR in rounds 4+ but with 3 of the top 4 starters returning WR is in decent shape (Edelman, Hogan and Mitchell). Most of the defense barely has any quality starters, DE and DT would be where I think they should focus.

A big wr would be nice if floyd doesn't take a 1 year to prove himself again.

1-Round: DE
2-Round: Cover-LB
3-Round: OT
3-Round (comp.): CB
4-Round: TE
5-Round: DE
7-Round: over 6'3' WR (if Floyd stays DL)

1-Round: DE
2-Round: Cover-LB
3-Round: OT
3-Round (comp.): CB
4-Round: TE
5-Round: DE
7-Round: over 6'3' WR (if Floyd stays DL)

This is a deep draft for de's. But By #32 this position might be picked over. Same for CB.

This is a deep draft for de's. But By #32 this position might be picked over. Same for CB.

DE is so deep that I think we can get a good player in the 3rd. It's all a matter of which kind of player we want to draft. Remind me to post a new thread about that tomorrow -- I'm pretty tired tonight.

We have the best team in the NFL, and will also have that next year if we re-sign our free agents.

Obviously, the draft depends on who we re-sign and who we sign from other teams.

That being said, I would expect OT and DL to be our draft top priorities, with a CB and RB also in the mix.

Is it just me or does it seem DL & DB's are a priority every year ?

I would love to see them draft McCaffrey with our 1st round pick.

I also want them to resign Michael Floyd.

Let's give Brady some real good weapons for his final years.

If we could get the #12 overall pick for Garappalo, I would love Florida States Dalvin Cook, although I know we won't take him because of fumble problems.

Kevin Faulk fixed his fumble problems. Cook is a great RB who is a three down back. He has great hands.

Is it just me or does it seem DL & DB's are a priority every year ?

I would love to see them draft McCaffrey with our 1st round pick.

I also want them to resign Michael Floyd.

Let's give Brady some real good weapons for his final years.

If we could get the #12 overall pick for Garappalo, I would love Florida States Dalvin Cook, although I know we won't take him because of fumble problems.

Kevin Faulk fixed his fumble problems. Cook is a great RB who is a three down back. He has great hands.
we have been saying its Brady's final years for quite some time, hasnt slowed him down yet. I do agree that DL and DE should be a focus but I also think they will look at a OT fairly early, Solder is going to be a free agent and now that Cannon is starting the backups dont inspire much confidence.

Hope it ok to look at free agents as part of the offseason team building process. To me Hightower is the key to the offseason and expect many existing players to walk.

Calling my shot for a free agent, Abry Jones from Jacksonville is a young, up and coming player with versatility. Signing him would make a nice combo with Brown and still leave room for a veteran (Branch would be great).

With a deep draft at DE/CB I would look for only a few free agent moves, usual round of JAGS and then build through the draft.

Abry Jones should be in line for big contract extension

"Fast forward to the 2016 season and some people, like myself, thought his roster spot might be in jeopardy because of the logjam of young defensive lineman and the thought that the Jaguars defense would be more aggressive and not use as many downs with a nose tackle. Good thing for Jones that the team didn’t have the same line of thinking I did and that he’s versatile enough to play three different positions on the defensive line and he made the final roster and became not only a staple on game day, but one of the defenses most valuable players."

Im looking at this draft as one that could potentially make either our defense or our offense truly elite. I'm saying this because if BB were to draft fully defense especially with how deep this draft it can set up our defense to be even better than it already is. The same goes for the offense but I don't think our offense really needs that much help as it is though.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back