PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My Only Question Re: Draft...Why No SS Pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many safeties should be carry?

We have Harrison, Sanders, Meriweather and Tank Williams.

Belichick thinks we are set without drafting anyone in the late rounds.

BTW, that doesn't include Ventone and Andrews, one of whcih might make the team as a special teamer.

Also, Lewis Sanders is expected to fill at both safety and corner, similar to the role once played by Artrell Hawkins.

I love Rodney and want him to play one more season, but let's face it: he was always suspect in pass coverage and that's being brought even more to the forefront now that he's aged. You can even make the argument that if someone else were in during the Super Bowl, David Tyree would not make that catch. I wouldn't do it, personally since he was right there and was at least able to get a hand on the ball, but I've seen the argument made before.

Re: My Only Question Re: Draft ... Why No SS Pick?

Our future starters at safety are Meriweather at FS and Sanders at SS. We have Harrison and Williams. Why would we need another draftee? We also have Andrews and Ventrone.

We have bingo.

You already answered your own question. The safeties in this year's draft suck. It's not like last year when you had 4 safeties going in the first and you could still pick up a stud like a Weddle in the 2nd. Oh btw, technically, I believe that Slater can play safety in addition to be a special teamer.

Taking a step back and wondering where he fits in vs his abilities has me thinking the same thing. Supposedly, his biggest liability is bad hands and of all the DS's ... SS's don't need great hands ... good will do. If they can hide him on the regular roster he will get some chances here and there and he'll have 2 good teachers in Rodney and Tank.

Sanders is a versatile Safety, I think they try to extend him before the season starts.

Again, I'm clearly in the minority on this issue, but after having watched Lawyer in his prime followed by Rodney, I'm not about to lower my expectations at a critical position like SS and settle for a guy who's "most improved" yet still average to slightly above average, but still has many warts in his game just because I've gotten used to watching him play. I want a serious thumper, an intimidator and a playmaker back there to set the tone once Rodney's gone.

I want a serious thumper, an intimidator and a playmaker back there to set the tone once Rodney's gone.
See "Tank Williams" for reference. I think we're all going to be very happy with this kid, he's young, brings the wood, and was a bargain coming off some major injuries. Think of him as a double redshirt with the mental experience. I could be VERY wrong but I hope I'm right, and the fact that BB/Pioli liked him gives me confidence that there is at least a decent shot for it.

See "Tank Williams" for reference.

I have rewatched my Pats v Titans tapes going back to '04 and have already commented on what I saw when Tank was first signed by the Pats. And though I like his signing as a rotational guy, he's not the longterm solution.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye