PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My first training camp visit, and my impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

QB12

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Flew to Boston with my 25 year old daughter and 19 year old son, both diehard Patriot fans like their father. And here are my impressions:

1. We went to the first padded practice of the year, Saturday morning. Amazed at how many people there were. Atmosphere more like a small college home opener than a training camp. Lots of games, activities, things to do. Credit to the Patriots staff for always keeping things moving.

2. Two loud helicopter landings just as practice was beginning? Kraft? And who else?

3. Surprised players didn’t run out onto the field. All of them just walked. Underwhelming.

4. Players that I was surprised to see stand out:

Matt Lacosse;
Maurice Harris;
Jacobi Meyers;
Terrence Brooks taking quality reps with the 1’s on defense.

Note: not impressed with Berrios; no quicks, no speed. Much more impressed with “Gunner” but no way would his current build and frame last a 16 game season.

5. Went back Sunday morning. Definitely more physical and more contact than Saturday. Saw Brady’s head bump of Maurice Harris after an impressive catch, and Harris’ reaction afterwards, ‘wait, did TB12 just headbump me?’ Saw Van Noy pumped and jacked after Pennell stumped a runner (Bolden or Harris) at the goal line.

6. On Sunday, Brady entered the field from the top left corner, not the bottom left corner where all the other players enter, and where Brady entered the day before. Is the ‘hill’ that players run there? Was Brady running hills before practice? Maybe someone here knows.

7. The Hall at Patriot Place was amazing. But I thought it was free. Still, at $10 a bargain for any Patriot fan.

8. We stayed at the Seaport Hotel in the Seaport district in Boston nights 1 and 2, then at the Hilton Garden Inn at Patriot Place Sunday night. Both excellent and highly recommended. For grins, I checked availability at the Hilton the night of the home opener against Pittsburgh. To my delight, there was 1 room left for me, a “Diamond” member. To my horror, the rate was $1,249!

9. Skipjack, Red Robin, and CBS Sports Club all good places to eat, all with excellent service. Atmosphere at CBS is amazing. Server at Skipjack told my kids to keep their eyes peeled, because players came in and out of there all day. (We didn’t see any). My kids wanted Mexican food but the only sit down Mexican restaurant, The Scorpion, had bad reviews on Yelp. Oh well.

10. Too many empty store spaces at Patriot Place. Need more shopping and eating establishments, IMHO.

Last edited:
Re:

3. Some players jog out...depends on the heat/humidity. I mean really...you should've let them know you were coming.

10. That's life in retail economy...here today, gone tomorrow. To compare, 1st week of last August I think there was only 1 empty space.

Probably because most people shop online now...restaurants do well tho :)

I don’t go into an actual store unless... Actually I never go into a store unless you count a gas station a store.

Last edited:
I haven't shopped for groceries online yet...prefer to pick out my own fruit and veggies...Haven't resorted to Peapod yet :)

I haven't shopped for groceries online yet...prefer to pick out my own fruit and veggies...Haven't resorted to Peapod yet :)

Try Amazon Fresh. In my experience they have much better inventory management than Peapod because they're not picking from a retail store.

I use both the delivery and pickup options. The good thing about the pickup option is there is no surcharge. You just have to plan ahead. No more impulse buying when I skipped lunch and spend $475 on snacks.

Who am I kidding? My wife uses these options. I don’t go to stores or order groceries. I don’t know why I thought I should make up a lie. Maybe I should get into politics.

Danger! Mild "political" rant here:

Online purchasing is a last resort for me, as it should be for everyone. Nobody is so busy that they can't carve out time to hit the retail stores and support the non-Amazon economy, and the exercise is good for pretty much all of us.

End mild "political" rant

Note: not impressed with Berrios; no quicks, no speed. no way would his current build and frame last a 16 game season.
:confused: He looked quick and speedy this time last year ...

. 2. Two loud helicopter landings just as practice was beginning? Kraft? And who else?

I watched camp live shots and interviews over the weekend. NFL Network interviewed Bill and asked him about the helicopters. Willie M asked if one of the departures was Robert was heading to the Cape. Bill confirmed with a head nod. Willie than asked if he was heading to the Cape later tonight. Bill gave Willie that classic BB look and confirmed he'd be in meetings after 'todays' (Saturday) session.

Last edited:
Some additional observations worth noting:

Hightower is much, much lighter than he was even in the SuperBowl. I literally had to do a double take to make sure it was him.

Burkhead has added some noticeable bulk in his upper body.

Online purchasing is a last resort for me, as it should be for everyone. Nobody is so busy that they can't carve out time to hit the retail stores and support the non-Amazon economy, and the exercise is good for pretty much all of us.

I bought a buggy whip just yesterday!

Screw brick and mortar....I am never going back.

I have everything delivered to me by Amazon these days! Except food and a few things I GOTTA HAVE NOW!

I have everything delivered to me by Amazon these days! Except food and a few things I GOTTA HAVE NOW!
I like Bricks and Mortar

As much as I agree, difficult to argue with the selection, price (often about half) and free delivery. Particularly in the world of electronics, my choice would be Best Buy, Target or Walmart, are they any better???

Amazon and I have a love hate relationship, as much as I wish there were still Radio Shack's, Circuit City's etc. difficult to argue with their choices and ease of process.. particularly as I am "electronically challenged" and can do the research at home and a very easy return policy..

I would never to think to ask a "Walmart Associate" a question about their electronic products.. Best Buy is better, but often I have to look for an associate with a question and sometimes have break up their discussion groups... Target see Walmart.

Do you live here by any chance?

upload_2019-7-31_7-46-46.png

The non-retail stores should be going more online. It’s an easy way to increase your margins. And many are. I shop at and use a good amount of smaller services online. For one, it takes advantage of your customers’ beliefs that they’re too busy to shop and presents a convenient option for them. For another, shipping and handling costs are going to be lower than the rent organizations pay on brick and mortar stores.

I don’t go into an actual store unless... Actually I never go into a store unless you count a gas station a store.
You sound like my brother. :)

The non-retail stores should be going more online. It’s an easy way to increase your margins. And many are. I shop at and use a good amount of smaller services online. For one, it takes advantage of your customers’ beliefs that they’re too busy to shop and presents a convenient option for them. For another, shipping and handling costs are going to be lower than the rent organizations pay on brick and mortar stores.

Yep, physical stores, or at least malls, are dying for a reason. Many refuse to modernize.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes