PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mortenson mentions "BB popping loose from New England"

Status
Not open for further replies.
one thing more important than history

patsox23 said:
Belichick will retire as HC of the NEP. He respects history, and he's making it. Breathe.
IMHO that one thing is his kids. i believe his father did his priorities the same way.
if that stuff about a split in BB's family is true, i could see him leaving coaching to spend a couple years with the kids. ya can't make the years up somewhere else.
i'm leaving now for logan to pick up my 22-year old son, who i couldn't see from age 10 to age 16.
if BB has any friends who've had trouble seeing their kids after a divorce, even something as simple as the wife moves them out of town, he will hear that missing the kids in favor of a job is not worth it.
who knows.
talk about speculation! jeez.

One daughter goes to Wesleyan, and the youngest son Plays football somewhere nearby so I don't think seeing them is a problem (aside form his schedule).

sounds manageable

KDPpatsfan said:
One daughter goes to Wesleyan, and the youngest son Plays football somewhere nearby so I don't think seeing them is a problem (aside form his schedule).
also, they're likely old enough that they make their own choices anyway.

as emily littella would have said, Never Mind.

This thread is killling me! The thought of him coaching somewhere else is like a dagger in my heart....

BB is under contract through 2006, so he is not "popping" anywhere unless Bob Kraft fires him or releases him from his current contract, I don't believe either choice is likely.

Bill's Girl said:
This thread is killling me! The thought of him coaching somewhere else is like a dagger in my heart....

BB is under contract through 2006, so he is not "popping" anywhere unless Bob Kraft fires him or releases him from his current contract, I don't believe either choice is likely.

Calm down BG. He won't leave here to coach elseswhere. It's just media speculation. We have too many media outlets and too many media people. They have to do reports so speculation replaces real hard fact.

Besides you and the rest of the Choir will not allow him to coach anywhere else, and he knows it. He not going to mess with The Choir.

PATSNUTme said:
Calm down BG. He won't leave here to coach elseswhere. It's just media speculation. We have too many media outlets and too many media people. They have to do reports so speculation replaces real hard fact.

Besides you and the rest of the Choir will not allow him to coach anywhere else, and he knows it. He not going to mess with The Choir.
And, of course, as Jerome Soloman noted on Sunday, its probably pretty likely that an extension has already been worked out and will be quiety announced sometime in the deep off-season, as it was the last time.

I'm not even sure this thread can be blamed on media speculation. Do we know for a fact that Chris Mortenson was speculating that BB would leave this off-season to coach another team? Or was he using him as an example of the kind of coach you might get if you conduct a deliberate, thoughtful search? I think it was more speculation among fans - based on a half-heard blurb on TV - than anything.

PATSNUTme said:

You are right.........

I wish I had as much pull with BB as you seem to think I have! ;)

First of all, I don't believe that it was Chris Mortenson b/c I saw it on television. I think it was actually Sean Salisbury (not 100%) and the quote was in fact in reference to Jimmy Johnson's advice to Mcnair. "don't rush to a decision because Someone like Mike Holmgren Could pop up, or Bill Belicheck could get tired of his situation" I think it was a peice of general advice to not jump at the first available canidate because sometimes great coaches become available. I didn't take it as an indication that BB was leaving.

Bill's Girl said:
You are right.........

I wish I had as much pull with BB as you seem to think I have! ;)

It's not pull, it's fear.

KDPpatsfan said:
First of all, I don't believe that it was Chris Mortenson b/c I saw it on television. I think it was actually Sean Salisbury (not 100%) and the quote was in fact in reference to Jimmy Johnson's advice to Mcnair. "don't rush to a decision because Someone like Mike Holmgren Could pop up, or Bill Belicheck could get tired of his situation" I think it was a peice of general advice to not jump at the first available canidate because sometimes great coaches become available. I didn't take it as an indication that BB was leaving.
and we have to ask ourselves - before jumping to ill-founded conclusions - what in God's name would cause Bill Belichick to become "tired of his situation"? I mean, based on what we know, why would any of us think that? Among all NFL coaches, who has a better situation in terms of autonomy/control? Who has a better and more respectful relationship with their owner? Who has a better situation in terms of support and dedication from his fellow administrators, fellow coaches, and players? And, knowing the value the Krafts place on Belichick (particularly after the Parcells/Carroll disasters), we have to assume that any compensation he receives here is extremely competitive, so the same question applies - who has a substantially better $$ deal than BB? My answer to all these questions would be 'no one'. Does anybody have a different answer?

Of course, baseless speculation and hackneyed cliches like "he wants a new challenge" and "what if someone offered him $20 million a year" don't count as reasonable responses, because they're based on no knowledge whatsoever.

Last edited:
His soulmate Pioi is signed here long-term. Relax.

PATSNUTme said:

Agreed (well, not about the Choir part, but to a degree we are all members of the Choir, no?) This whole thread is starting to feel very bizarre. I kind of hate it now.;)

Again, I think it was more an example that JJ was giving to Mcnair to illustrate his point which is not to pull the trigger early just to pull the trigger. Take your time and see who might fall into your lap.

KDPpatsfan said:
Again, I think it was more an example that JJ was giving to Mcnair to illustrate his point which is not to pull the trigger early just to pull the trigger. Take your time and see who might fall into your lap.
Which is good advice. I have never understood why some teams make it a race, like in the past when teams allegedly didn't want to 'wait' for Romeo and Charlie who were tied up in the playoffs. We were talking about roughly three weeks. If you're hiring a guy for 3 to 5 years and believe he's the man to establish your club for the long haul, what the hell is 21 days?

Pats67 said:
Which is good advice. I have never understood why some teams make it a race, like in the past when teams allegedly didn't want to 'wait' for Romeo and Charlie who were tied up in the playoffs. We were talking about roughly three weeks. If you're hiring a guy for 3 to 5 years and believe he's the man to establish your club for the long haul, what the hell is 21 days?

hmm.. that gets me curious. Lets examine the teams that didn't want to wait and see how that worked out for them:

Giants-Tom Coughlin...Juries still out.

Raiders-Norv Turner...the worst of all hires.

Bears-Lovie Smith...seems to have been a good call.

Cardinals-Dennis Green...Looks like a mistake

Redskins- Joe Gibbs...Hasn't panned out but they DID hire a hall of fame coach so I'll give Snyder a pass.

Dolphins-Kept Wanny for another year but then hired Saban so we'll see.

Bills-Mike Mularky..this looks like a bad call also as he is close to losing his job and has apparently lost control of his team.

So it looks like the Raiders,Cards, and Bills should have given Charlie or Romeo a shot.

KDPpatsfan said:
hmm.. that gets me curious. Lets examine the teams that didn't want to wait and see how that worked out for them:

Giants-Tom Coughlin...Juries still out.

Raiders-Norv Turner...the worst of all hires.

Bears-Lovie Smith...seems to have been a good call.

Cardinals-Dennis Green...Looks like a mistake

Redskins- Joe Gibbs...Hasn't panned out but they DID hire a hall of fame coach so I'll give Snyder a pass.

Dolphins-Kept Wanny for another year but then hired Saban so we'll see.

Bills-Mike Mularky..this looks like a bad call also as he is close to losing his job and has apparently lost control of his team.

So it looks like the Raiders,Cards, and Bills should have given Charlie or Romeo a shot.

Now that would have been something if the Bills had hired one of them......especially seeing the state of the AFCE. Imagine BB having two of his guys coaching against him in the same division??

PromisedLand said:
There are only three guys in New England who can't be replaced: Bill Belichick, Tom Brady, and Robert Kraft.
Thats what we said before Charlie left. :eek:

BradysArmy said:
Thats what we said before Charlie left. :eek:

And, isn't the offense clicking?:eek:

PATSNUTme said:
And, isn't the offense clicking?:eek:
Exactly my point. Whose to say we would'nt click without BB or Brady? I believe that sometimes change can be a good thing.

BradysArmy said:
Exactly my point. Whose to say we would'nt click without BB or Brady? I believe that sometimes change can be a good thing.

Right, maybe you could change to the Planet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes