PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mortenson mentions "BB popping loose from New England"

Status
Not open for further replies.

PromisedLand

Virtual Internet Person
Reaction score
The TV was playing SportCenter in the background, I wasn't really paying attention until I heard Chris Mortenson saying something about teams looking for new head coaches should be patient, because (and then he listed a few examples of teams whose HC's might "pop loose"). Then my heart stopped beating when I heard him say "a Bill Belichick might pop loose in New England"! :eek: :eek: I tried to replay it, but my DVR was in a mode where I couldn't, so that is all I have - my memory of something I wasn't really listening to until I heard that.

Did anyone else hear this? Was it just rampant speculation? Or do we have something new (and HUGE) to worry about?

There are only three guys in New England who can't be replaced: Bill Belichick, Tom Brady, and Robert Kraft.

Belichick isnt going anywhere, so stop worrying

I will write it off as RAMPANT speculation... I read this somewhere else, I think ESPN, saying the same thing, probably just them trying to stir up shi!

I have the TV on also, and thought they said Brian Billick....not paying attention to them though.

That might be the only way the NFL is going to stop the Patriots from
being dominant for years to come.
He could probably get 20 Million a year from some rich owner.

Maybe they could apeal to his Love for the game and that for the good of
the sport he loves he really should consider another team.

It sounds like hyperbole.
For example, instead of saying 'you never know who could pop loose' to indicate being patient makes sense, why not use the God of coaching as an example?

scott99 said:
I have the TV on also, and thought they said Brian Billick....not paying attention to them though.
I think he might have mentioned Billick too, but he DEFINITELY said Bill Belichick in New England.

AndyJohnson said:
It sounds like hyperbole.
For example, instead of saying 'you never know who could pop loose' to indicate being patient makes sense, why not use the God of coaching as an example?
I think that might have been exactly what he was saying, which is why I am kicking myself that I wasn't really paying attention, and am hoping someone who was paying attention saw it too! :)

The thing is, it was Mortenson, who somehow always seems to know things that no one else knows and usually turns out to be right. If it was someone like Michael Irvin who said it I wouldn't be worried at all.

PromisedLand said:
The TV was playing SportCenter in the background, I wasn't really paying attention until I heard Chris Mortenson saying something about teams looking for new head coaches should be patient, because (and then he listed a few examples of teams whose HC's might "pop loose"). Then my heart stopped beating when I heard him say "a Bill Belichick might pop loose in New England"! :eek: :eek: I tried to replay it, but my DVR was in a mode where I couldn't, so that is all I have - my memory of something I wasn't really listening to until I heard that.

Did anyone else hear this? Was it just rampant speculation? Or do we have something new (and HUGE) to worry about?

There are only three guys in New England who can't be replaced: Bill Belichick, Tom Brady, and Robert Kraft.

What he said was "Bellichick is setting Manning's NOOSE".

PromisedLand said:
The thing is, it was Mortenson, who somehow always seems to know things that no one else knows and usually turns out to be right. If it was someone like Michael Irvin who said it I wouldn't be worried at all.

Well, seeing as I doubt he'll get fired anytime soon, the only way he's leaving without somebody coughing up draft picks from here to eternity is if he didn't extend his contract. And I don't think Kraft is that dumb. :)

LOL, that was classic

Didn't he just sign an extension a year or two ago? He should still be under contract for awhile.

Willie55 said:
Didn't he just sign an extension a year or two ago? He should still be under contract for awhile.

I'm pretty sure he's only under contract through next season, unless there has been an extension that hasn't been announced.

I'd have to think this is what Mortenson is referencing - the fact that an extension is probably due, and that BB will deserve to be paid as the top coach in the league - and if Kraft balks at that, he could "pop loose"

Since there's no coach salary cap, I would think that Kraft would understand the market dynamics and pay BB what the market dictates

And from BB's perspective, he's got an owner who seems to stay out of football operations and do the things an owner should - in other words, New Orleans owner might offer BB more but there's no way he'd work for that jerk.

Imagine how much money Bill Belichick would command on the open market?

I am sure it would set a record for the largest coaching contract in sports history.

Like the last deal they could already have one in place without anyone knowing it. But then we all know how much BB talks to the press to leak things out :cool:

I think it might be hyperbole or wishful thinking on Mort's part. After all, it has been BB and the Pats who have kept his beloved man crush Pey-a-ton from winning a SB.

Bill Belichick absolutely cannot be the highest paid coach in the league... It would completely ruin his policy of no one on the team gets highest paid at their position. I think BB will be extended but won't be the highest paid in the league

emoney_33 said:
Bill Belichick absolutely cannot be the highest paid coach in the league... It would completely ruin his policy of no one on the team gets highest paid at their position. I think BB will be extended but won't be the highest paid in the league

I think Steve and Jeanette raised him right - he doesn't really care about money, and he's already got more than he knows how to spend. He's been in the league for 30 years, and already been a HC in a bad situation. Heck, he's even getting comfortable with the mediots here. He'll stay here until he's ready to retire - possibly to become a college coach - my guess would be resurrecting the Naval Academy football program and restoring it to national prominence would appeal to him. He grew up shagging balls for Roger Staubach, and he loves to teach smart kids. Any NFL owners who take Mort's wait and see advise will be waiting a long time for nothing. BB also doesn't have the kind of personal or professional ego that demands he prove he can do it anywhere.

PromisedLand said:
I think he might have mentioned Billick too, but he DEFINITELY said Bill Belichick in New England.

My stomach hit the floor when I read this......sheesh.

The most up to date info we have on BB's contract is that he is signed through 2006. Maybe that is why ESPN said this, but I tend to think they are stirring things up like others here have written.

I personally think he is here until he retires. He loves New England....

Anyone who has started and ran a successful business would find this laughable. You don't just leave and start over unless you are like Parcells.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News