PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mort: Pats wanted Boldin, but only on 1-year deal like Moss

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with the general sentiment. Don't mind seeing Peppers and Rolle go their own ways. Dansby might have been a nice pickup, but the Boldin deal is a bit of a head-scratcher. Here's hoping we can get a bit of that rookie-WR magic potion the Giants had last year.

Umm, maybe I'm missing something here. Boldin wasn't a free agent. The Patriots could have traded for him and had him play here next year without redoing his contract. The Patriots may or may not have been willing to redo his contract, but once again, he isn't a free agent, so what leverage, other than being a whiny little biatch does he have if they trade for him?

Holdout, maybe? Trading for him doesn't appear to be the problem. He wanted an extension and that was the problem.

Either way, he's probably not thrilled this morning or whatever time it is there. But FA season ain't done yet by a longshot.

its a big head scratcher as to why they did not pull the trigger, they had the amo,and just decided to let it go... Not to much via trade or FA, in the WR dept.. Mason, Bryant.. Not giving up a 1 for floyd, jackson or austin .. If marshall signs with seattle then maybee Branch is expendable... Dont get me wrong resigning Wilfork, neal, and TBC were good, but losing out on Bolden really stings..

Don't worry. According to some of the resident experts on this forum, he's a stiff. :D

I dont think he is a stiff, but i think the injury concerns are legit, and i think that there is a long history that shows number of receptions has a lot to do with the system and playcalling of the team you are on, and does not necessarily translate. In other words, i think it is short-sighted to judge a player by receptions alone, and when you look past that number, Boldin does have issues, including being one of the slowest WRs in the NFL along with one of the most injury prone. Sure adding him wouldn't hurt, but IMO WR is not a high end priority for this team, we simply need a steady guy to be #2/3 (depending on Edlemens development) until Welker returns then a 3/4 after that. I don't think we should be offering what another team offers for a guy who would be their #1 to get that. Cap or not, we must be financially prudent, because these contracts will eventually count toward a cap. I do not want the Patriots to break the bank in 2010 to find out they are 40 mill over the 2011 cap and in cap hell for 4 years.

Maybe there is some truth to the whole argument that there is less attraction to NE nowadays then earlier in the decade since the team hasn't gotten a SB in a long time. I feel if this was maybe 2004, 5, or 6, Boldin takes that deal from the Pats.

Maybe there is some truth to the whole argument that there is less attraction to NE nowadays then earlier in the decade since the team hasn't gotten a SB in a long time. I feel if this was maybe 2004, 5, or 6, Boldin takes that deal from the Pats.

If NE wasn't an attraction, Vince and TBC would have walked or played hardball.

My gut tells me that they didn't want to make a long-term investment in Boldin for three reasons.

1. For WRs, they just don't do it and never have (unless you count Welker but his deal was reasonable).
2. They may be trying to work something out with Randy and by giving Boldin $10m guaranteed, this may have complicated matters.
3. The don't want to p-off Randy and upset the pay structure for the group.

Last edited:
First Mort has tended to me more wrong then right when it comes to the Pats

Second people know and I am sure it is out there among the players the Pats love the one year Prove yourself deals

Thrid how do any of you know that even if the pats came back with a deal the Ravens would have said ok we'll give you more then that

While i think that it sucks that they didn't get him I am not going ot say he sucks nor am I going to say the FO sucks

Not every deal the team wants gets done are you all forgetting there is 31 other teams out there

Sad but true.

Besides the lowball tactics, Pats seem to act too late often times. We committ longer term contracts AFTER the player has proven to be a star. Often times that is too late because the market has gone up (and their agents are not stupid). Samuel and Branch's contract situations come to mind.. They could have been had at much lower prices if we tried extending them earlier. The situation with Bodden. Same. The situation with Boldin would have been the same. Poor Brady, how many turnovers of his WRs corp does he have to deal with? Seriously, does our team value stability at all? You can keep bring in new WRs but the it takes a lot of time and energy to incorporate them into your system, and the time you could be spending fine-tuning the details of your passing scheme.

What would have happened in that case...

1. Boldin brought in.
2. Boldin plays and has a higher production here than in Arizona.
3. Pats offer him a contract indicative of a #2 receiver in 2011.
4. Boldin leaves as a free agent.

You can throw in "Moss scoffs at Patriots 2011 contract offer" between 3 and 4 if you want.

Last edited:
If NE wasn't an attraction, Vince and TBC would have walked or played hardball.

My gut tells me that they didn't want to make a long-term investment in Boldin for three reasons.

1. For WRs, they just don't do it and never have (unless you count Welker but his deal was reasonable).
2. They may be trying to work something out with Randy and by giving Boldin $10m guaranteed, this may have complicated matters.
3. The don't want to p-off Randy and upset the pay structure for the group.

Maybe you're right, maybe not. I don't know. I was just saying that maybe there is some truth to what people, including ex-Patriots, have been saying. I don't know.

It would have been nice to have Boldin, especially with the huge question mark that is Wes Welker, but whatever. Maybe Tate will be ready to go next season.

But what you're telling me is that Boldin has been "constantly" injured and yet has still been able to put up 80 or 90 catch seasons. So in other words, you either get an injury-riddled 75-catch season or a healthy 100-catch season. I'd take either.
No, don't tell DaBruinz this, but I agree with him 100% :D

It is far better to have a player be available every game and put up a 90 catch season than to get 90 catches but only play in 12 games, or 8 games or whatever. Those missed games change the offense too much while he is out, and what if they are key games.

And what if the four game he misses are key games to determine playoff byes, or in the playoffs themselves.

Think of it this way: How would you like to have Brady-Moss-Welker play only 12 games every year, but in the 12 games they does play he puts up big numbers. The other games we layer with Hoyer, Edelman and Aiken.

I have an interesting question for you guys here:

The pats did not sign any of the top 5 FA $ wise. They extended contracts, but all of them equals probably 6 million more than their old contracts.

So, where is the $ going to go? Trade up in the draft and sign an expensive rookie, or trade for a big name player?

The pats better spend on an impact player..

No, don't tell DaBruinz this, but I agree with him 100% :D

It is far better to have a player be available every game and put up a 90 catch season than to get 90 catches but only play in 12 games, or 8 games or whatever. Those missed games change the offense too much while he is out, and what if they are key games.

And what if the four game he misses are key games to determine playoff byes, or in the playoffs themselves.

Think of it this way: How would you like to have Brady-Moss-Welker play only 12 games every year, but in the 12 games they does play he puts up big numbers. The other games we layer with Hoyer, Edelman and Aiken.

There is no guarantee of ANY player being available every game. To make a decision based on that is the most idiotic one. That being said, BB ought to be shot for signing ONeal b/c the guy can't stay healthy for the life of him.

What good is having a Moss and his 100 catch/season playing 16 games a year, and then he lays an egg in the playoffs

I don't know how this is difficult to explain to some people? Boldin would of been great for a year 2 years tops, with the pounding he takes even the strongest of strong break down. The Patriots wanted to give him a chance to catch passes from t brady and to help build something special. The ravens gambled he'd perform out the contract. The pats didn't think so, If we bring in a TO or Randle EL or trade for Branch nobody is gonna care about Boldin. We just need a capable number 2 now whether that's in the draft, or a vet already, or a huge step up from Tate. We will find that person. In the draft I wanna focus on Linebackers, Bring back Lekevin or go after dwan and focus on linebacker, runningback in draft.

I'm very curious how much money he wants a year in his new contract, Arizona had nothing but problems when they tried multiple times to redo it.

Well that KIND of makes sense I guess. They didn't want to commit to him long term and figured if he can come in and have an impact like Welker in '07 he's worth the picks. Still I'd rather focus on the future when it comes to draft picks and leave the 1 year deals to some of the older FA's that you might want this season as a stopgap.

Arizona was giving him away (trade value) we should've paid him I feel because Moss is in the last year of his contract. We need to begin looking at the long term future of the WR position. In Bill we trust.

I have an interesting question for you guys here:

The pats did not sign any of the top 5 FA $ wise. They extended contracts, but all of them equals probably 6 million more than their old contracts.

So, where is the $ going to go? Trade up in the draft and sign an expensive rookie, or trade for a big name player?

The pats better spend on an impact player..

I was hoping to lock up Wilfork, Mankins, Bodden with maximum cash up front so future salary #'s would be low in case the cap is ever brought back. And then start filling the holes, with or without an impact signing. I bet Moss won't be brought back which means we should have enough $$ for at least 1 impact signing, hopefully a pass rusher. There's still a few seasons before Merriweather,Mayo,Butler rookie contracts run out so the next 2-3 years we definitely have the ability(cap or no cap) to spend well.

Last edited:
I'm very curious how much money he wants a year in his new contract, Arizona had nothing but problems when they tried multiple times to redo it.

From what I have read, it is a 3yr/$25m extension. Ultimately this equates to a 4yr/$28 million dollar contract with the Ravens when you factor in the final year on his current contract w/ AZ. $10 million is guaranteed.

He was scheduled to make $3m in 2010.

Cardinals' focus now shifts to Boldin

My assumption is he is now making $13m in 2010.

Based on that, the remaining deal is 3yrs/$18m w/ a $6m annual average. Wish I knew the contract details. Can't find 'em...

Last edited:
The Pats just need to keep signing their stars. Very pleased to hear Wilfork, TBC and Neal are locked up. Now I'd like to see a 2-3 year extension for Moss, a 5+ year deal for Gostkowski and then extend Brady for 7-8 years. Don't listen to the fools who believe Brady only has 2-3 years left. They're HOPING Brady retires so their team has a shot.

Outstanding day 1 of FA...Go Pats!

The Pats just need to keep signing their stars. Very pleased to hear Wilfork, TBC and Neal are locked up. Now I'd like to see a 2-3 year extension for Moss, a 5+ year deal for Gostkowski and then extend Brady for 7-8 years. Don't listen to the fools who believe Brady only has 2-3 years left. They're HOPING Brady retires so their team has a shot.

Outstanding day 1 of FA...Go Pats!

Moss for 2-3 more years?

Wow, can't wait to see Moss as a 36-year old WR...

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes