PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

MNF 12/12 Pre-game thread: Pats @ Arizona

Status
Not open for further replies.
With what I believe to be Mac's ceiling then an elite WR1 is needed. You're naming the cream of crop there so yeah anyone on that list would do.

We mostly agree on the current skill position players, I like our WRs collectively with Henry and Stevenson adding to the passing game mix. I didn't like the Jonnu signing and he's done nothing to change my opinion. I think an above average, top-12ish quarterback could be successful with the current supporting class but that's also after a new OC is hired. Mac looks like a guy who would need a brilliant WR1 to reach his potential... unfortunately the 2023 WR FA class looks pretty thin at the moment.
i don't see Free Agent investments in the WR or TE position other low-mied tier. And i don't want to see this. If we use cap for the offense, it better be 2-3 reliable offense linemen. This will help the run game and the passing game. We have one of the highest investments in the WR and TE position league wide this season due to cap adjustments, but the output and production of our WR and TE is average at best. And furthermore our passing offense looks like trash.
Priorities should be adding an o-line and new OC. The offense should be fine then. Maybe if they don't resign agholor and trade/release bourne i would take a shot at someone. Maybe draft a slot WR on Day 2/3 of the draft if they don't resign Meyers and look for an outside WR mid tier.

Just look at the Lions offense. Their passing offense and overall offense is one of the best in the league with Goff at QB and one of the worst supporting casts in the WR/TE Position. But they have an incredible o-line and good play-calling. They are just rolling and in sync.
Please really take a look at their receivers and their investments in the WR/TE position and compare their output to ours. You will identify that from a WR/TE standpoint we should be much better. But the crucial thing is their o-line and play-calling/scheme, which both sucks for us right now

Last edited:
Damn, Bourne got pretty detailed here. Pretty sure he'll face consequences.

Bourne didn’t mention Matt Patricia by name, but he didn’t have to.

“We just need to scheme up better,” Bourne said after the Week 13 defeat at Gillette Stadium. “We need to know what they’re doing. We need to know what they want to do on third down, you know what I mean? We’re kind of sporadic. They call this and we call that and it falls into what they want. We need to have it where they’re falling into what we want. That’s not my job. It’s my job to just run the call.

“But as we all could see, they had, what, 30 first downs? And we only had eight. So something they were doing against us was working, and something we were doing against them wasn’t working. It’s just about figuring it out each week. We’ve still got life, but we need to hurry up and figure it out.”

"That’s funny how we were able to move it the last drive,” he said. “I was just saying, like, ‘Man, we need to do that the whole time.’ I don’t know. That’s frustrating. We need to be urgent, for sure. Especially after the half, I feel like we should have been more attacking. But I’ve just got to play.”

Bourne added: “We can attack more, I think. I mean, it’s not my job, so it’s really just me playing the play that’s called.”

Reiss saying Bourne could be inactive for calling out Patricia's dogshit offense. That's gonna be a last straw thing for me. Bourne has shown he can produce with Mac. Patricia hasn't shown jackshit. Imagine Meyers can't go and Bourne is made inactive. Belichick's nepotism for Patricia hurting the team
I agree with the sentiment of your post. Belichick hired Patricia out of a personal affinity and he will remain loyal to Patricia over any player on the roster. If Bourne is inactive after his comments then yes Patricia and Belichicks are both assholes. Which is already true but that's beside the point. Are they benching Mac for practically screaming in Patricia's face? The players are frustrated and fed up with Patricia and his mickey mouse offense. And I have no problem with them getting vocal about it. Patricia needs to go... I think everyone here can agree on that. So I don't understand why anyone would even remotely take his side on this. The Detroit locker room hated Patricia for a reason. Seems like more of the same here. Patricia is shaping up as Belichick's third biggest mistake of all time.

Damn, Bourne got pretty detailed here. Pretty sure he'll face consequences.

Bourne didn’t mention Matt Patricia by name, but he didn’t have to.

“We just need to scheme up better,” Bourne said after the Week 13 defeat at Gillette Stadium. “We need to know what they’re doing. We need to know what they want to do on third down, you know what I mean? We’re kind of sporadic. They call this and we call that and it falls into what they want. We need to have it where they’re falling into what we want. That’s not my job. It’s my job to just run the call.

“But as we all could see, they had, what, 30 first downs? And we only had eight. So something they were doing against us was working, and something we were doing against them wasn’t working. It’s just about figuring it out each week. We’ve still got life, but we need to hurry up and figure it out.”

"That’s funny how we were able to move it the last drive,” he said. “I was just saying, like, ‘Man, we need to do that the whole time.’ I don’t know. That’s frustrating. We need to be urgent, for sure. Especially after the half, I feel like we should have been more attacking. But I’ve just got to play.”

Bourne added: “We can attack more, I think. I mean, it’s not my job, so it’s really just me playing the play that’s called.”
Is Bourne wrong? Except for the part about the offense clicking on the last drive, which really was comically inefficient and bad.

The scheming up better line is directed toward Patricia obviously. Well, too bad. Bourne isn't wrong. If Patricia takes offense and lobbies for Bourne's benching (which has already been done in part for the entire season) then he's as soft as his enormous belly.

Reiss saying Bourne could be inactive for calling out Patricia's dogshit offense. That's gonna be a last straw thing for me. Bourne has shown he can produce with Mac. Patricia hasn't shown jackshit. Imagine Meyers can't go and Bourne is made inactive. Belichick's nepotism for Patricia hurting the team

If true that means Fat Matt has a tiny little fragile ego and is willing to hurt the team that is struggling more to satisfy his ego.

Also means Bill is signing off on it.

just wow

It's not that complicated. Teams are stacking the box to stop the run. Patricia as a former DC recognizes that and is attacking with passes. According to Warner, he's using simple schemes that can work. His only gripe is with the small details within these concepts (WR routes w/ inside vs outside leverage, etc. to create better separation).

That's why Bill is saying the concepts should work but there's a lack of consistency. Either there's a penalty called on the OL or they don't block properly or Mac doesn't see the open receiver or WR drops a pass or runs wrong route, etc. Bill seems to think it's on the players performing, pushing back in a way, on blaming it all on the coaches.
The coaches need to coach the players. This group was better last year. One thing definitely changed....hmmmm

Being tied with Denver on anything offensively is really pathetic. That anemic squad has scored 16 or fewer points in 10 of 12 games this season.
they lost to the ravens backup qb, we could have used a ravens loss.

The coaches need to coach the players. This group was better last year. One thing definitely changed....hmmmm
tell me GIF by Suits

If true that means Fat Matt has a tiny little fragile ego and is willing to hurt the team that is struggling more to satisfy his ego.

Also means Bill is signing off on it.

just wow
It already has been happening. Bourne's snap percentage is well below last season. It's a different position but Jonnu Smith is seeing more snaps than Bourne. Thornton, who's sorta not good, is seeing a higher percentage of snaps. Bourne isn't Jerry Rice but he's better than Smith and Thornton.

I find this quote interesting. You'd expect Bill to kind of defend Patricia. Instead he seems to almost imply he knows it needs to change but it's too late for this season...

Last year's group in the last 5 games and the playoff was better? Really? Let's see how this group finishes the last 5 games versus how last year's group finished the last 5 games. You seem very confident. Want to place a bet with me?

I find this quote interesting. You'd expect Bill to kind of defend Patricia. Instead he seems to almost imply he knows it needs to change but it's too late for this season...

Bill knows the current climate and the perception fans have on the play calling. While not a man of words with the media he does know what words mean and is politically astute.

Additionally he'll never bash/throw a coach on his staff under the bus publicly.

That’s interesting because, IIRC, he revoked those privileges from BOB for a little bit in 2009 and called plays himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST