PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

MLB removes Pot from banned list ... NFL next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pape

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
So yesterday MLB removed marijuana, cannabis, thc, etc from its banned list. The news was a little shocking as there really didn't seem to be any quid pro quo for that kind of concession...

So, anyone think the NFL will be "de-crimializing" marijuana any time soon? Something like that happening might entice a 6'6", 270 pound TE to make a return in 2020...

If the NFL does allow it, what would the players have to give up? Add a 17th game to the schedule? That seems to be one of the big items on the owners agenda... Think that trade off is worth it?

I don’t even smoke but Marijuana most certainly shouldn’t be a banned substance in pro sports. It’s completely natural and is a far better alternative to popping pills. Hell, I’m of the opinion that pain pills should be banned. Those things have more side effects and will totally screw up your body with long term use.

Don’t think it would have any impact on Gronk as he advertises CBD oil which I believe has no banned ingredients in it. I may be slightly wrong but it contains no THC which I believe is all the league tests for when it comes to pot.

In the next CBA they will. The league would have done it already if they didn't want to keep it as an easy bargaining chip as it's a concession the owners don't really care about and the players seem to want the freedom to use.

The next cba is a logical jumping off point... Think they are concerned with the optics of allowing it though? It's still listed as a class whatever drug by the feds

That it is banned is inane ... it's not a performance enhancer.
It has also shown to be helpful for some as an alternative to opiods.
The stigma of marijuana being a bad drug has changed drastically.

Last of all ... the NFL being all about money ... will they lose revenue ... highly doubt it.
Players should be subject to discipline (fines?) if they break any state or national laws regulating it.

In the next CBA they will. The league would have done it already if they didn't want to keep it as an easy bargaining chip as it's a concession the owners don't really care about and the players seem to want the freedom to use.

I doubt it. The owners will use it as a bargaining chip, as you say, to gain a concession from the NFLPA...and the NFLPA won't do it....

Players know how to get around it already...and it only costs games for stupid players.

Gronk can endorse that.

GettyImages-1170525787-1.jpg

They should just do it because it is the right thing to do, not in exchange for more concussions each year.

I doubt it. The owners will use it as a bargaining chip, as you say, to gain a concession from the NFLPA...and the NFLPA won't do it....

Players know how to get around it already...and it only costs games for stupid players.

How? Asking for a stupid friend.

I don't know anything, but the NFL doesn't seem like the type of organization to be progressive on drug policy.

Good for baseball.

Terrible decision. Pot is a gateway drug to eating entire bags of doritos and that's the last thing a league full of tubby bastards needs.

How? Asking for a stupid friend.

They test once a year..coincidentally on 4/20....

So, if one isn't a repeat offender and thus subject to random re-testing...they are tested once a year and simply only need to stop using 30-45 days prior.

There also are other ways tho...but stopping cold turkey for 30-45 days prior is the best way.

They should just do it because it is the right thing to do, not in exchange for more concussions each year.
Heh we’re talking about the NFL here, there is no acting in good faith by the owners.

Roids have been legal in MLB for years.

If the NFLPA is gonna trade anything they should do away with Roger being judge and jury on player misconduct...

Acceptance of Marijuana is a natural progression of our society..

I don't know anything, but the NFL doesn't seem like the type of organization to be progressive on drug policy.

They're not progressive on anything. They've been very resistant to some common sense solutions like the sky ref, boundary cameras (goal line, sideline) and extending goalposts up five feet or so.

They're not progressive on anything. They've been very resistant to some common sense solutions like the sky ref, boundary cameras (goal line, sideline) and extending goalposts up five feet or so.

I don't know why I felt the need to be so specific.

It's still listed as a class whatever drug by the feds

Don't expect that to change. The BATF would be gutted, and the prison industry would fail...and we can't have that. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes