PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mike Reiss nailed it!

The personnel on offense makes it too hard to finish drives. They can move the ball but one missed block / penalty/ drop / mistake by qb will kill a drive since we don’t have the talent to overcome it.

Same if we lose the turnover battle, just can’t overcome it against talented teams. We need to be razor sharp and unfortunately we are not that either. or play a weaker team.

The team is still capable of winning 10 games by beating the weaker clubs and maybe stealing a couple but 8 is probably more likely. Next offseason should be devoted to upgrading the OL and if we have money left get one of the top wr hitting the market.

Not sure about this:
“4. On McCourty, I thought the run-based
support from the satety position was a
notable issue in his game.”

I’m sure than most here will remember Jonathan Taylor splitting McCourty and Hightower with ease just behind the LOS, during his long touchdown run in 2021. It looked like their feet were stuck to the Field Turf as Taylor sped past them and to me the play was reflective of two great veteran players who both had lost a step. I doubt that McCourty would have prevented Mostert’s TD run.

Excellent assessment from Reiss

Technical question on this, when I click on the post on my phone it opens a separate window loading it on Twitter (X). I find that I can’t see the entire embedded document, part of it is cut off at the bottom, even when I click on the embedded document. Is there a way for me around this other than signing up for Twitter (which I am not inclined to do). Thanks!

Not sure about this:
“4. On McCourty, I thought the run-based
support from the satety position was a
notable issue in his game.”

I’m sure than most here will remember Jonathan Taylor splitting McCourty and Hightower with ease just behind the LOS, during his long touchdown run in 2021. It looked like their feet were stuck to the Field Turf as Taylor sped past them and to me the play was reflective of two great veteran players who both had lost a step. I doubt that McCourty would have prevented Mostert’s TD run.
I thought he was referencing McCourty to say that the post-McCourty safety plan needs work, not that McCourty would have helped there.

Technical question on this, when I click on the post on my phone it opens a separate window loading it on Twitter (X). I find that I can’t see the entire embedded document, part of it is cut off at the bottom, even when I click on the embedded document. Is there a way for me around this other than signing up for Twitter (which I am not inclined to do). Thanks!
I don't think so. I believe Twitter (X) makes you go to Twitter to read it all. But I don't think you have to sign up for Twitter to read it. Anyway, here it all is (shh... don't tell @Ian ).
1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

A big takeaway for me: what on Earth happened to the run defense??

Very disappointing performance, when you consider that Miami's O-line was depleted, and did not have a great line or running game to begin with. There was really no excuse to let them gash us the way they did.

I agree with Mike that if the O-Line doesn't improve it is going to be a long season. Tough to be consistent on offense when there are breakdowns that can lead to negative plays. The defensive line was also weak, especially against the run.

Two omissions from the otherwise astute Reiss analysis.

Darrell Bevill is Miami’s passing game coordinator. He’s the Seahawks OC in the Malcolm Butler SB goal line INT. He admits to calling that.

Bevill, who is highly touted in nfl coaching and players circles, was interim head coach in Detroit after Patricia and in Jacksonville after Urban Meyer.

His play calling ran circles around the Patriots defense. Belichick was out-coached and -schemed. That’s why he was exceptionally testy and brief in his postgame conference.

Darrell Bevill, who has worked his way to the upper tier of coaching, has done it the old-fashioned way. He’s EARNED it.

Yeah, no daddy giving him a job.

So Darrell Bevill’s name should have been included in paragraph 7 in giving credit to the Dolphins’ head coach.

And the other omission is our lumbering linebackers. They were not successful against the Miami offensive attack.

They’re suited for the downhill running attack, but with speed the edges they are vulnerable.

All our opponents know Tavai and Bentley are limited.

Last edited:
A big takeaway for me: what on Earth happened to the run defense??

Very disappointing performance, when you consider that Miami's O-line was depleted, and did not have a great line or running game to begin with. There was really no excuse to let them gash us the way they did.
Funny thing happened in Miami....
McDaniels brought in coaches well versed in zone blocking concepts, and even without their starting LT, Miami's running game completely gashed NE's so-called elite defense.

Note: In NE, Bill tasked a D coordinator in '22 to install zone blocking concepts.

denzel washington checkers GIF

Front 7 needs needs work. Sometimes very strong, sometimes get pushed around or fail to get off blocks. It’s going to be an issue going forward and I’m not sure what the fix is. The OL? We all know that’s a major problem. What can you do when you have the amount of injuries they have had? You gotta plug and play. Next man up, let’s go. But, the play by Strange was absurd. He looked as lost out there as he did at times during last season. I like that he brought up Pop getting benched. That **** is just stupid old ass mentality. The kid could immediately be seen on the sideline with a football in his arm. He knew it was on him. Put him back on that ****ing horse and get him out there. It’s that type of **** that has many people giving Belichick such a hard time. His weird ass “don’t question me” personnel decisions add up and make it hard to keep making excuses for him. The worst part about much of what is happening though is that many of the issues the team has had the last 3 years, armchair qb’s were pointing out before the seasons even started. If we all can see it, why doesn’t Bill? He’s a smart ass dude. Smartest dude in the league imo but his hubris or fear or whatever the hell it is that is stopping him from fixing these things is going to cost him his job sooner or later.

We’re only 2 games in. Things keep going this way and he’s gonna be run outta town. I wouldn’t agree with it. The rebuild over the next 3-4 years could either happen very quickly or go to **** real quick. The grass isn’t always greener. If it did happen though, I’d understand why.

I get the impression that Belichick isn’t having fun anymore. Getting out coached like he did against Miami is no fun.

His sons are comfortably positioned to succeed in the coaching profession. His daughter is doing well coaching at Holy Cross.

I get the sense that this is his last year.

I get the impression that Belichick isn’t having fun anymore. Getting out coached like he did against Miami is no fun.

His sons are comfortably positioned to succeed in the coaching profession. His daughter is doing well coaching at Holy Cross.

I get the sense that this is his last year.
Losing isn't fun. Outside of post game interviews BB seems just as into it as ever to me. Why else have a team with a huge proportion of first and second year players? There's a lot of coaching that needs to be done.

You seem to have an axe to grind about his sons being on the coaching staff. If the players had an issue with it we'd probably hear about it. SB is well regarded as a good DC. Our defense mostly did it's job against one of the best offenses in the NFL, but dang they have a tough assignment when the offense puts them in crappy positions. There's little room for error on defense in the modern NFL.

Also Mike McDaniel calls the Dolphins plays. Bevell is a QB coach with a fancy title. He probably has input throughout the week but not on game day. He was stripped of his playcalling duties in Jacksonville a season or two ago.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back