PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mike Reiss: Mea Culpa on the Butler article.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony2046

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
This is important enough to get it's own thread.

Mike Reiss wrote an article this morning that surprisingly, imo, left a lot up to assumptions which has never been his style.

Reiss suggests the Pats might be concerned with Butler off the field

He followed that up with a Mea Culpa explanatory article that puts into light what he was attempting to convey in the original article which includes an apology to Butler.

Piece on Malcolm Butler was incomplete

Mike is a class act plain and simple. @Ian defended him like a 200 lb pit bull. :D

Name anyone who would go through and apologize to each Twitter response.

Tweets with replies by Mike Reiss (@MikeReiss) | Twitter

Yeah, I thought that first article was pretty uncharacteristic of Mike Reiss.

Really, if the Pats were so targeting "stable, family men" for their long-term extensions/contracts, then what the hell were they thinking giving THIS guy a 6 year extension to 2019?

rob-gronkowski-gf.jpg

Last edited:
You guys know I am about as hard on Reiss as any. I'll put that aside right now and just say it's real interesting that crap goes down under his name (including what was once his blog when it was still his) on the ESPN site then his apologies come on his personal site.

ESPN is disgusting.

I'm glad he's apologizing for a lousy piece, but only a fraction of the people who read it will see this.

The ESPN handbook for this sort of thing is ignore it for 9 months then just make the post disappear without explanation. Good to see he hasn't completely succumbed to their culture.

It's great of him to make a public apology to Butler.

He also gives us someone to blame if Butler leaves.

Way to go Mike.

retraction wasn't on espn, it was on his own site.....sorry.....doesn't work in my eyes

EDIT, he should amend the original article or retract it....

Last edited:
retraction wasn't on espn, it was on his own site.....sorry.....doesn't work in my eyes

He's mentioned before that he doesn't have as much control over the ESPN posts. I think he's frustrated there. I'm willing to give him a pass. How many other journalists would go even as far as he did?

Everyone ****s up. The mark of professionals is acknowledging when they do, being accountable, and attempting to make things right. As usual, Reiss is doing it right.

Go to the Twitter feed. At least as many people will see that as ESPN. He manned up and said "I did a poor job", responded individually to hundreds of people who took him to task. What more can he do? He doesn't control the ESPN content.

I see that Mike posted this on his own domain. Was it also posted on ESPN???

EDIT: No update to the actual ESPN article.. That being said, it could be as (@Tony2046 suggests) that ESPN isn't allowing Reiss to update the article..

If that is the case, it's pretty sleazy on their part. If I'm Reiss, I tell them to pound sand and hand in my resignation.. Reiss is a damn good reporter and there are plenty of places that would love to add him..

Last edited:
I see that Mike posted this on his own domain. Was it also posted on ESPN???

That may be more of a story about BSPN than Reiss.

The guy just apologized to hundreds of Tweets individually and posted a link to his Mea Culpa. I'm sure he would update the article if he could.

He did the right thing...after doing the wrong thing. There's nothing heroic about that. I respect him, always have, but he's down a notch or two in my book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST