PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mike Pereira: NFL refs are violating rules w/illegal help on replays

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pereira makes a good point: If the replay assistant is improving the quality of the officiating, that’s a good thing. But why are they doing it in violation of league rules? If the replay assistants can help the referees get the call right without having to go through a lengthy challenge delay, then the NFL ought to change the rules and make that a standard part of NFL officiating.

Duh, because using it selectively allows them to influence the outcome of games.

I've been saying this for a while...The league has too many levers they can use to influence outcomes week to week. In this case, it's the missed calls the league decides not to correct that's the problem.

There's no transparency so there's no way to know when a mistake is made by the crew on the field and intentionally not corrected by the league.

Think about the McCourty interception last week that wiped 60 yards of field position off the stat sheet. The offensive player brushed McCourtys hand just after he made the interception and stumbled to the ground. After the review I guess the field crew got the call right but it was so close; if the call was not reversed, no one would know it was missed.

For me, the mystery around the ratings decline starts and ends with this sort of stuff. It's like we're watching pro wrestling now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Back