PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Michigan quarterback J.J. McCarthy Declares for the Draft

Having a QB is a must, but you were talking about the importance of the backup quarterback. I agree with you when you said "having a solid #2 QB is a smart" but the problem is this team has many other positions to fill before spending a high draft pick on the backup QB.
We do have other needs more important than a #2 QB right now. Would rather have DT Maason Smith or RB Braelon Allen or Blake Corum in this draft (and whatever else we need to get things moving towards building up talent where we immediately need it. I would love Drake Maye at #3 for QB (although some insist on MHJ instead).

If in the unlikely event he falls to the 3rd round, I'd draft him and have him sit for his rookie season (perhaps longer if we find a stud at QB in the 1st or 2nd round. Best case scenario, with the right coaching and talent on offense, he could be a great #2 QB (and possibly bring us a high future draft pick).

You don't use 2 of your 3 top picks on QB when you need a LT and a RT.

He might be someone to look at if he falls into the 4th round and they've taken a WR and 2 OTs. But otherwise, he's just someone to talk about.

McCarthy/harbaugh was my now half dead dream
McCarthy looks like a QB who will just keep getting better.
I like his arm talent, his moxie and the fact he’s been on a winning team.
Him or Maye and I will be very happy.
Hell any new signal caller breeds optimism.
Any chance we pick pocket Tampa for Mayfield and then draft Harrison JR, that’s the quickest path to a winning franchise.

So many possibilities I’m really excited for free agency it will answer so many questions.

You don't use 2 of your 3 top picks on QB when you need a LT and a RT.

He might be someone to look at if he falls into the 4th round and they've taken a WR and 2 OTs. But otherwise, he's just someone to talk about.
And who is your LT and RT going to protect? Bengals got Burrow first then addressed the other areas. By the way, there hasn't been a single comment that I've ever made on here that you didn't disagree with or nitpick (and no, I'm not a "Safe Space" Type). Do you have a particular problem with me (not that I really care)? Was just curious.

And who is your LT and RT going to protect? Bengals got Burrow first then addressed the other areas.

So let's trade back to 9-10 and take him early and add some capital while we are at it.
I'd rather have Maye at #3. But, there are a lot worse things that we could do.

I prefer Maye at 3, but if it's a choice between Daniels at 3 or McCarthy at 11 plus a haul of picks, I'll take McCarthy. I think him and Daniels are close.

I prefer Maye at 3, but if it's a choice between Daniels at 3 or McCarthy at 11 plus a haul of picks, I'll take McCarthy. I think him and Daniels are close.
I understand he also has a much stronger arm and has the frame to add weight/muscle.

Agreed. The biggest difference is age, McCarthy is barely 21, and Daniels is nearly 24. McCarthy needs a year to mature and strengthen IMO, while Daniels might not. I vote for the extra picks even if it is only two 2nd rounders moving down to #6.

Agreed. The biggest difference is age, McCarthy is barely 21, and Daniels is nearly 24. McCarthy needs a year to mature and strengthen IMO, while Daniels might not. I vote for the extra picks even if it is only two 2nd rounders moving down to #6.
I'd take McCarthy over Daniels, but not at #3 where I would take Maye. McCarthy can sit a year or two (Maye is also young enough to sit for a year or two), put on the proper amount of weight/muscle, have the offense upgraded while he sits, and has a much stronger arm than Daniels.

I like McCarthy over Maye and Daniels, provided he redshirts a year or two. But, we need to temper our hopes of dropping too far down and letting him fall to us. I don't think he lasts past #5. The Chargers also have a big rebuild ahead, and their biggest needs are better filled by prospects farther down the board. Plus, they might want to keep McCarthy out of their division, so they may be willing to take a little less for the pick if the right team (Vikings, Falcons) calls. Maybe we can coax a 3rd from Arizona and drop to #4 so they can take Harrison, any lower and we risk losing out on everyone

I like McCarthy over Maye and Daniels, provided he redshirts a year or two. But, we need to temper our hopes of dropping too far down and letting him fall to us. I don't think he lasts past #5. The Chargers also have a big rebuild ahead, and their biggest needs are better filled by prospects farther down the board. Plus, they might want to keep McCarthy out of their division, so they may be willing to take a little less for the pick if the right team (Vikings, Falcons) calls. Maybe we can coax a 3rd from Arizona and drop to #4 so they can take Harrison, any lower and we risk losing out on everyone

I like McCarthy too, and think he needs a year to fill out. I highly doubt the Chargers will select a QB. We should be OK if we trade with the Giants and move down to #6.

Going into any complex situation, and the draft is certainly such a situation, it is good to have as many reasonable options as possible. If this player's availability as an option in the second or third round gives more latitude to consider drafting non-QB's earlier than that, I would consider him on that basis. All these precipitous yeah-or-nay posts, unsupported by any broader analysis, are silly at this point.

I cannot believe how high some people are on a guy who didn’t even throw 200 yards per game in college.

He’s worth a 6th or 7th round flyer at most. Anything more than that would be a tremendous waste.

I cannot believe how high some people are on a guy who didn’t even throw 200 yards per game in college.

He’s worth a 6th or 7th round flyer at most. Anything more than that would be a tremendous waste.
Spot on, don't get it

That isn't true. He passed 200 yards 8 times. He also played in a run heavy scheme.

He's worth a LOT more than a 6th or 7th rounder.

He has a very good arm and can make some incredibly tight throws. He's a decent prospect but is clearly behind the top 3 currently imo.

He's also very young and light and is most likely going to have sit for a year or more but he has good potential.

He's overhyped for sure and has stuff he needs to work on, just like all the prospects do, but he's much better than the picture you have painted of him.

That isn't true. He passed 200 yards 8 times.
I didn't say he never threw for 200 yards. I said he didn’t throw 200 yards per game in college.
He also played in a run heavy scheme.
I find it hilarious when people use this as some sort of flex in favor of McCarthy.

Yes, he was the quarterback in a run heavy scheme. Think about it.

Yes, he was the quarterback in a run heavy scheme. Think about it.
Well wouldn't that backup why he didn't have as many pass yards as a team that was pass heavy...

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back