PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Michael Johnson, DE Georgia Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
Garbage against the run from what I've seen. Useless if you want to play 3-4 OLB.

I'm a Michael Johnson fan, but I'll be the first to admit it is based on potential and flashes of greatness...not on consistent high level of play. I'm thinking it was a combination of a lack of maturity and some suckish GT defensive teammates. Not an excuse, just thinking that the right team structure and environment could bring out consistently high production out of him.

In big games, he had some excellent efforts and really was excited and emotional. However, in the games against ordinary competition (and there is plenty of that in the ACC) he seemed to be on cruise-control. That will likely drop him down into the 2nd round, but he is clearly a top 10 guy based on his unique talents.

Garbage against the run from what I've seen. Useless if you want to play 3-4 OLB.

While he does need to refine his technique (he plays too high, but he is 6'7"), his functional strength is solid. Also, he has room on his frame to add some weight. Maybe up to 275 or so without losing speed.

If he is "garbage", what 3-4 OLB candidate do you think is solid? The majority of them are rush ends that played the run by penetrating into the backfield. Not exactly what the Pats will be asking them to do for run support.

I'm not convinced that he can play in space well enough for the Pats to be interested. I have no doubt he can fill, take on blockers and disengage to make tackles against the run. He does need a Grogan neck roll since I'm afraid that one good head slap will turn him into a bobblehead.

He's got Gholston written all over him. I never like players who disappear in games. You gotta play football with your heart, not with your abilities. I would not even take him with a low second rounder. I'd rather take a solid safety than a high risk high reward DE prospect.

He's got Gholston written all over him. I never like players who disappear in games. You gotta play football with your heart, not with your abilities. I would not even take him with a low second rounder. I'd rather take a solid safety than a high risk high reward DE prospect.

Bingo, he's got bingo. I drool over what Johnson "could" be. But, you can tell he just doesn't have the drive to be the best he can be.

Athletically he is a beast, and he also showed up well at the combine. Looked like a very smooth athlete for a man of his size. I'm a little bit torn. The guy has great upside but I wonder if he can put everything together at the pro level. IMO some team will take him in the 1st based on his potential alone. If he lasts to the second though, I'd be willing to take a gamble on him if Barwin, etc. are off the board.

Last edited:
He will never wear a Patriots uniform. He can go to the Yets with their other 1st rd clown from last year.

bestqb,

This guy may be a beast of an athlete but you're right he has gholston written all over em.

... I have to think BB can mold a kid this talented into an OLB phenom...

So...confused...:confused: Why would he be garbage against the run as an OLB? Speed is the name of the game out there.

Last edited:
Any takers? I watched a lot of Tech football thanks to Paul Johnson and the Triple, this kid is a freak. There are questions about his motor but I have to think BB can mold a kid this talented into an OLB phenom...

I haven't seen much tape on the kid, but there's a feeling that he's a bit of a tin man and has the tendency to get washed easily. I have seen some plays where he was easily reached and gave up his outside shoulder without much fight.

Have you seen any of that from the gametapes?

Last edited:
Bingo, he's got bingo. I drool over what Johnson "could" be. But, you can tell he just doesn't have the drive to be the best he can be.

People said the same thing about Richard Seymour, and Belichick took him anyway. Some people probably still say the same about Seymour, but Belichick has never shied away from a player like this.

Any takers? I watched a lot of Tech football thanks to Paul Johnson and the Triple, this kid is a freak. There are questions about his motor but I have to think BB can mold a kid this talented into an OLB phenom...

NFL Events: Combine Player Profiles - Michael Johnson

He's been sneaking up my board a little bit based on just that....I can't imagine Belichick couldn't motivate him. But I'm sure that's been said before.

People said the same thing about Richard Seymour, and Belichick took him anyway. Some people probably still say the same about Seymour, but Belichick has never shied away from a player like this.

This is kinda what I am thinking. The guy looks like a total freak (Way better then Golston did last year) He is super athleatic and compared to my early binky Maybin, he looked like a DB in the conversion drills at the combine. He ran a 4.59 at his pro day at 6'7 266lbs and did 225 X 28 which are absolutely rediculus numbers. Trust me I have played ball with many "Workout Worriors" but this guy if a true FREAK and people want to pay 16 million for Peppers when am month ago when Mayok kept saying "too much bad tape" we could have had this guy at 47 maybe and 15 million dollars cheaper then Peppers. I know he does not have the talent level or experience of Peppers but he is the closest thing to come out of the draft since him. Maybe we will line him up at reciever on goal line:D:D

I wish I could get a look at more of his gametape but on the surface of his proday aswell as how fluid he looked at the combine I would take him at 34 because BB will not let this guy fail, he brings out the best in his defensive players.

He's been sneaking up my board a little bit based on just that....I can't imagine Belichick couldn't motivate him. But I'm sure that's been said before.

Ditto, he is climbing up on my board as well. I saw him a couple of games and thought he looked a little clumsy, watching him pretty closely in the post season drills he moves very well.

Boom or bust type, big upside. I look at him and think "What is the limit for what this kid good do?" I look at a lot of the other OLB prospects and wonder "Is this guy really that much better than Crable or Woods?"

I would consider Johnson at 23, that way BB would have 5 years to work with him. He could turn into the next Willie McG, I see his low side still being better than TBC or the other JAGs we have floating around the roster.

Phenomenal athlete. Questionable football player. I'll pass. Barwin is my #1 OLB, then Everett Brown and Aaron Maybin. Not sure after that.

That is the part that sticks with me. If he brings consistent effort, he is easily a top 10 talent. Between the coaches and vets on the team, you would think consistent effort is a must.

He was a TE in high school so he seems fluid in space. In the BC game, he was a menace dropping off the line. Tipped a pass that was picked off and caused another overthrow or two. So tempting (even at #23) but you just have that lingering sense of doubt.

BINKY ALERT>>>>>>>

With all the quick screens and quick outs being run these days this guy would be an absolute nightmare to throw over!!!

Word is that he ran a 4.5 at his Pro Day, and one club had him clocked at 4.4! He also did 23 reps (@225)

Johnson puts on show during Tech's Pro Day | ajc.com

He is the son of a Marine, and I think that he could be an absolute freak that would cause serious match-up problems. Can you imagine what BB would think up to do with this guy

With all the quick screens and quick outs being run these days this guy would be an absolute nightmare to throw over!!!

MichaelJohnson93.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore