PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mgteich's first 3 rounds for patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about the fact that Sheppard wants big money?

Long is a conversion project to OLB and we'll be paying him on par with AD and almost double what the guy he will EVENTUALLY replace has ever gotten here?

CLong is a conversion project to ILB. CLong is a HUGE conversion project to OLB. His skill set is a better fit for what is asked of a Pats ILB (strength, leverage, short-area quickness, football IQ) than a Pats OLB. Not saying he can't make the transition to OLB, just that it is a longer road to travel.

I think we trade down or not at all. If not at all we take a player at #7 who is a top ten on our board who will start day 1 and projects to be as Bill says an 8 time pro bowler. Only players I see who can be that HERE this year are OL, because unless we plan to trade a DL there is no starting position for any DL for 2 years - and you don't take a player that high to shelf him for a year or two as depth/conversion project or backup or a rotational player as you could at the bottom of the round.

Great points. Belichick has generally drafted his 1st day (new definition) players into well-defined roles with opportunities their first year and room for significant growth soon after.

2001 - Rebuild starting with the lines
Richard Seymour - Anthony Pleasant moving out
Matt Light - Open starting job

2002 - We won with Brady throwing to who?
Daniel Graham - Christian Fauria moving out
Deion Branch - 3rd WR and Troy Brown getting older

2003 - Never will anyone run through the middle of the defense again
Ty Warren - Bobby Hamilton moving out
Eugene Wilson - Nickel corner
Bethel Johnson - ST speed (another 2002 issue) and David Patten moving out

2004 - Won again, can we still afford these guys?
Vince Wilfork - Ted Washington moving out (Traylor stop-gap...literally)
Ben Watson - 2nd TE but questions about retaining Graham
Marquise Hill - Ability to re-sign Seymour?

2005 - No worries, but time for a tune-up (leaking in some key areas)
Logan Mankins - Open starting job

2006 - Offense needs weapons
Laurence Maroney - Corey Dillon moving out
Chad Jackson - 3rd WR (Caldwell stop-gap)

2007 - Time is now (aka - this draft class sucks)
Brandon Meriweather - Eugene Wilson moving out

So every player in rounds 1 or 2 was drafted into an open position, a position with an aging vet or a position with a looming contract situation. Which positions qualify for 2008?

LBx2 - Tedy Bruschi moving out and Hobson is stop gap)
DBx2 - Open positions (FA signings are stop gap)
NT - Ability to re-sign Wilfork?

I'm not hung up on ILB vs. OLB or CB vs. FS because of position versatility that Belichick likes to build. What is pretty clear is that Belichick doesn't seem to spend high draft picks on taking time from/replacing young players with multiple years on their contracts just because he wanted an "upgrade". Doesn't mean he won't do exactly that in 2008...but I would bet on a new LB and DB when I wake up next Sunday morning and not a new OG or OT.

Last edited:
1) Shepherd is worth big money.
2) We won't trade if unless there is an acceptable renogotiated contract.

What about the fact that Sheppard wants big money?

I'd take Shepherd for 11 games a year instead of Richarson or Webster anytime.

Not sure I agree with that. He has missed 14 games over the past 3 years.

I wouldn't call Hobson a stopgap. He's still relatively young and the Patriots defense has shown that even older players can excel in the system. He's not going to be a superstar, but he'll be solid, and Belichick certainly prefers veterans over rookies in his linebacking corps.

1) Shepherd is worth big money.
2) We won't trade if unless there is an acceptable renogotiated contract.
Number two is obvious, but I'm not sure yet on the big money contract. I'm fine with a decent contract, but huge money like most FAs are getting now is another thing.

I didn't post that Hobson was a stopgap,; but he only has a one-year contract. That's not a long-term solution.

I wouldn't call Hobson a stopgap. He's still relatively young and the Patriots defense has shown that even older players can excel in the system. He's not going to be a superstar, but he'll be solid, and Belichick certainly prefers veterans over rookies in his linebacking corps.

I didn't post that Hobson was a stopgap,; but he only has a one-year contract. That's not a long-term solution.

I posted it. Dude has a 1-year deal (as noted above) for the vet minimum. And the deal was signed WAAAAAAY into free agency so he had opportunities to sign anywhere. If Belichick thought he had a good chance to excel long-term, he certainly wouldn't have let Hobson hang around for that long just to get a vet minimum deal. Sounds like a stop-gap to me. Nothing wrong with it, but it is what it is. Into more I hope he turns out but holding breath I am not.

Sign me up, mgteich! Shall we write an open letter to Belichick with our advice for him?

You just did.

I'm sure someone on his staff, or pioli's, reads this site.

Sign me up, mgteich! Shall we write an open letter to Belichick with our advice for him?

Is Chris long not going 2nd to St Louis?

If he is, then we'll need to trade up to get Gholston.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST