PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

mg's March 15 Plan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who is this H-back you are talking about? Mills? Give me a break. Guy never made it onto the field and got red-shirted.

I recall watson being redshirted.. Didn't mean we gave up on him :)

Mills was projected at H-BACK..

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2006/mills_garrett

Mills is a very smart player who has been able to line up in a variety of different positions (in-line tight end, H-back and fullback) without making mental errors.

first I don't wan't to extend Hawkins since he sucks.:) Go watch some game film he got raped the second half of the season.

Second, I would think about extending Scott, but he is also old and has been injured a lot, so I don't know how much 'insurance" he would provide two years from now.

Thirdly, Pos and Leanard in the first, with a QB in the fourth? No thanks.

I totally agree on Hawkins his lack of speed was evident in the playoffs and was scary to say the least. IMO the 24th pick should be a safety/cb with the 28th best player available or trade down. The way the roster is stacked we probably won't have room for more than 3 or 4 rookies anyway, so I wouldn't be surprised if we wheeled and dealed on draft day. I also agree no Poz in the 1st round.

Please post college running stats for Mills.

We have four running backs and four roles. We like to use two running backs on 1st and 2nd. Even then, they get nicked and worn out by season's end.

#1 primary back - Maroney
#2 back - Morris
3rd down back - Faulk
blocking back and STer - Evans

We had Dillon-Maroney. We now have Maroney-Morris. Faulk and Evans continue is their roles from last year.

What happens when any of these players is injured, even for a game? Is Mills going to the #2 RB? He was projected as an H-back. They called the position FB because he is a pass-receiver, not because is he is capable of being the primary blocking back. Mills and Thomas were brought in because we had a need at TE. Thomas and Brady will fill that need.

Now we are discussing the wisdom of carrying a 5th RB/FB. I am not sure Mills will make the team even if we don't sign another RB. He could again be a developmental project. We have room, but that mean cutting another project or special teamer.

Mills is a very smart player who has been able to line up in a variety of different positions (in-line tight end, H-back and fullback) without making mental errors.

Last edited:

Watson isn't an H-Back. He's a TE. Plain and Simple.

And Mills hasn't done squat yet. Oh, and I know the draft profile of Mills very well, thank you. And Mills has never blocked from the back-field. Nor has he ever run the ball from back there or caught passes from back there.

i would want to trade down to 2nd round with the 2nd 1st rounder and get leonard

With the start of the conditioning program on Monday, perhaps

part of mg's plan will begin with the signing of a couple of veteran

defensive UFAs by the Pats.

MG's March 15 Plan (draft per recent mock posted on draft site)

1) Sign Samuel to a long-term contract
2) Sign 2-3 veteran ILB's (Say Hartwell and Gardner)
3) Sign a jag veteran CB for camp (perhaps Mickens)
4) Extend Scott and Hawkins (cheap insurance for 2008)
5) Draft Poz and Leonard
6) Draft a CB, S and a QB in rounds 3, 4 and 4C
7) Draft some Practice Squad competition with late round picks
(chance for roster spot at CB, S and LB; could beat out Woods)
===============================================
Conclusions
A. Leonard is a major upgrade over Mills, and is insurance against injury.
B. I think we are fine at LB if we add Hartwell, Poz and Gardner, althoug Woods or Alexander could beat out Gardner.
C. The key the defensive backfield is extending Samuel.
D. Ugoh at #28 is an alternative for me.

MARCH 15
53 MAN ROSTER

OFFENSE (25)
QB - 3 Tom Brady, Cassell, draftee
RB - 3 Maroney, Morris, Faulk, Leonard
FB/RB/HB - 1 Evans/ (Mills)
C - 2 Koppen, Hochstein
G - 3 Neal, Mankins, Yates/(Mruczkowski)
OT - 4 Light, Kaczur, O'Callaghan, Britt
WR - 5 Stallworth, Washington, Welker, Caldwell, Gaffney
TE - 3 Watson, Dave Thomas, Kyle Brady

DEFENSE (25)
DE - 5 Seymour, Warren, Green, Wright, Hill/(Thomas)
DT - 2 Wilfork, Smith
LB - 8 Vrabel, Colvin, Thomas, Bruschi, Hartwell, Poz, Gardner,(Woods),(Alexander), Izzo
CB - 5 Samuel, Hobbs, Scott, Gay, draftee,(Spann),(Mickens)
S - 5 Sanders, Wilson, Harrison, Hawkins, Wendling, (Mitchell), (Andrews)

SPECIAL TEAMS (3)
P - 1 Miller
K - 1 Gostkowski
LS - 1 Paxton

PUP (1)
Jackson

Good post. Some comments IMHO.

I doubt the Pats think Morris is a replacement for Dillon. I look for the Pats to draft a power RB on Day 1. Leonard could be that guy in the 2nd round. But to get a #2, they have to trade down with the #28 to pick up Leonard the Power RB. I could live with this. But, if they do this, to me it would mean they will sign a vet ILB with their cap change.

Stong Safety is the #1 concern. Finding a rookie to groom to replace Rodney. Rodney's style can no longer be sustained at his age. What used to bend and flex is now tearing and breaking. Drafting a SS in round #1 would be my top prority.

The Pats need to draft Tedy's replacement as well. If Willis was available, they should pounce on him. Otherwise, draft Poz and move Vrable inside. I see the Pats making a choice in their draft discussions between drafting a LB or trading down with the #28. We know their history on this subject. The choice may become Poz vs Leonard plus a #3 which would be a lower level LB than Poz. It depends on how the draft plays out. If Willis is there, they will grab him. They might have to think twice about giving first round money to Poz who has an injury history. No more Katzenmoyers please.

So, if they trade down, they will have 4 Day 1 picks. Here is hoping they draft a SS - RB - LB and CB. If they stick with their TWO #1s and #3, I look for them to take a SS - ILB and CB and live with Morris.

I can only hope they draft replacements for Hill and Smith on the DL in the 4th round. They can do better. Get someone who can actually spell off a vet and not be incactive every game.

Gardner was given an injury settlement and released IIRC. I don't look for him to be resigned. Look for Izzo and Mitchell to be the ST gunners.

I think the Pats will keep only one of Evans and Mills, not both.

The Pats always draft OL on Day 2. Britt and Yates are not secure.

Bottom line - only 5 rookies max make this 53. The Pats have a lot of cap cash left. I look for them to bring in at least 2 top or mid tier FAs before TC. Kraft instructed them to spend to the cap, and they have @ $5 or $6 mil left to spend by my calculations. That equals 2 or 3 more nice FAs.

Last edited:
1) I believe Thomas is probowl gunner.
2) If Morris isn't a replacement for Dillon, then RB is my #1 priority, although the need doesn't need to made with our first pick.
3) I'm fine with drafting a SS, but I like the combination of Harrison and Sanders for the next two years.
4) I am much more concerned about Free Safety than strong safety. We have EXACTLY zero free safeties signed for 2008, the focus of this draft.
5) I'm OK with trading down from 28, if bb can get one of his running backs with the second pick.

BOTTOM LINE
I expect a LB, a RB and a S on Day One. A fourth pick would be great. I then would like to see two safeties.

Of course, #24 could certainly be a corner, if bb likes what he sees. But the more we go one, the more I think that Samuel and Hobbs are our starters for the next three years. Drafting a nickel back so that we can fire Chad Scott is becoming more and more unreasonable in my mind, expecially since we Gay and will likely have Mickens or another free agent.

Good post. Some comments IMHO.

I doubt the Pats think Morris is a replacement for Dillon. I look for the Pats to draft a power RB on Day 1. Leonard could be that guy in the 2nd round. But to get a #2, they have to trade down with the #28 to pick up Leonard the Power RB. I could live with this. But, if they do this, to me it would mean they will sign a vet ILB with their cap change.

Stong Safety is the #1 concern. Finding a rookie to groom to replace Rodney. Rodney's style can no longer be sustained at his age. What used to bend and flex is now tearing and breaking. Drafting a SS in round #1 would be my top prority.

The Pats need to draft Tedy's replacement as well. If Willis was available, they should pounce on him. Otherwise, draft Poz and move Vrable inside. I see the Pats making a choice in their draft discussions between drafting a LB or trading down with the #28. We know their history on this subject. The choice may become Poz vs Leonard plus a #3 which would be a lower level LB than Poz. It depends on how the draft plays out. If Willis is there, they will grab him. They might have to think twice about giving first round money to Poz who has an injury history. No more Katzenmoyers please.

So, if they trade down, they will have 4 Day 1 picks. Here is hoping they draft a SS - RB - LB and CB. If they stick with their TWO #1s and #3, I look for them to take a SS - ILB and CB and live with Morris.

I can only hope they draft replacements for Hill and Smith on the DL in the 4th round. They can do better. Get someone who can actually spell off a vet and not be incactive every game.

Gardner was given an injury settlement and released IIRC. I don't look for him to be resigned. Look for Izzo and Mitchell to be the ST gunners.

I think the Pats will keep only one of Evans and Mills, not both.

The Pats always draft OL on Day 2. Britt and Yates are not secure.

Bottom line - only 5 rookies max make this 53. The Pats have a lot of cap cash left. I look for them to bring in at least 2 top or mid tier FAs before TC. Kraft instructed them to spend to the cap, and they have @ $5 or $6 mil left to spend by my calculations. That equals 2 or 3 more nice FAs.

Please post college running stats for Mills.

Naive as it sounds, players switch to other positions when they enter the NFL. I’ve brought this point of multiple times. Matt Jones, WR from Jacksonville. He was previously a QB in college but made the switch on evaluation of his talent.
Troy Brown played DB for us during critical times. Just because he didn't play it in college doesn't mean he can't do it in the Pros

What happens when any of these players is injured, even for a game? Is Mills going to the #2 RB? He was projected as an H-back. They called the position FB because he is a pass-receiver, not because is he is capable of being the primary blocking back. Mills and Thomas were brought in because we had a need at TE. Thomas and Brady will fill that need.
Not once did I say Mills is going to be a RB. More a H-BACK.. H-Backs don't carry the ball.. Case in point.. Everyone talks about Chris Cooley and using him as a standard of todays H-Back.. He doesn't run the ball.. He blocks and catches out of the backfield..

I agree. We need more depth at the RB position.. But there are plenty of stories of picking up backup and starting RB's later in the draft.. IMHO it would server the pats better today and for the future to draft defense.. ESpecially in the secondary..

You fail to mention that we lost both starting Safties.. And lets not forget harrison is a year older, hasn't played a full season and two years.. And this draft has some really good safties that can be had late in the 1st round.
And Wilson.. Wilson has gotten worse every year.. An injection of youth is needed..

Now we are discussing the wisdom of carrying a 5th RB/FB. I am not sure Mills will make the team even if we don't sign another RB. He could again be a developmental project. We have room, but that mean cutting another project or special teamer.

YOur telling me you think Mills will be cut? Please.. Mill will make the team. By your own records, he has a low salary cap and the ability to be versatile (something Bill loves).. He's not getting cut..

Watson isn't an H-Back. He's a TE. Plain and Simple.

And Mills hasn't done squat yet. Oh, and I know the draft profile of Mills very well, thank you. And Mills has never blocked from the back-field. Nor has he ever run the ball from back there or caught passes from back there.

I fail to see where I EVER said Watson was a H-BACK.. The only time I mentioned him is when I was reminding you that he was REDSHIRTED like Mills in his 1st year.. AND WE DIDN"T GIVE UP ON HIM.. My god son!

What's your point? Mills hasn't done squat yet (i agree).. But your boy Leonard hasn't either..
Do you really feel good about Harrison and Wilson in the backfield for another season? They havne' done it in over two years..

Last edited:
Did you really say Harrison and Sanders for the next two years?

I think Sanders is the heir apparent to Rodney's SS position. I think it would be prudent to draft at FS.

Yes, I said that I believe that Harrison and Sanders will be our strong safeties for the next two years. Sanders might "start" or not. Miguel has him as our starter in 2007. That's fine. In any case, we'll gladly pay $2.7M and $3M next to have Harrison contribute in our next two Super Bowl runs. Both Sanders and Harrison are signed through 2008.

Did you really say Harrison and Sanders for the next two years?

I think Sanders is the heir apparent to Rodney's SS position. I think it would be prudent to draft at FS.

Naive as it sounds, players switch to other positions when they enter the NFL. I’ve brought this point of multiple times. Matt Jones, WR from Jacksonville. He was previously a QB in college but made the switch on evaluation of his talent.
Troy Brown played DB for us during critical times. Just because he didn't play it in college doesn't mean he can't do it in the Pros

Please name ONE player who made the switch from TE to FB and actually CARRIED the ball in the Pros.

Switching from QB to WR is an entirely different scenario and is stupid to try and relate the two. A QB has to have the smarts to be able to make decisions based on what he sees. A WR has to have the smarts to make changes based on what he sees.

Not once did I say Mills is going to be a RB. More a H-BACK.. H-Backs don't carry the ball.. Case in point.. Everyone talks about Chris Cooley and using him as a standard of todays H-Back.. He doesn't run the ball.. He blocks and catches out of the backfield..

And this is the difference between Leonard and Mills. Leonard can be a blocking FB, a RB OR an H-Back. He's already done it. Mills hasn't. And you keep ignoring that and trying to defend your postion by putting up the example of how Matt Jones switched from QB to WR.

I agree. We need more depth at the RB position.. But there are plenty of stories of picking up backup and starting RB's later in the draft.. IMHO it would server the pats better today and for the future to draft defense.. ESpecially in the secondary..

Who is talking about NOT drafting defense in the draft? Just because people suggest to take Leonard at 28 doesn't mean that they aren't suggesting to draft OFFENSE the rest of the way. The problem with you is that you ignore the fact that there is tremendous depth in the secondary and there could, very well, be better VALUE in the 3rd, 4th and 5th rounds in the secondary than in the 1st.

You fail to mention that we lost both starting Safties.. And lets not forget harrison is a year older, hasn't played a full season and two years.. And this draft has some really good safties that can be had late in the 1st round.
And Wilson.. Wilson has gotten worse every year.. An injection of youth is needed..

Actually, MG has talked about taking safeties later in the draft. Just because you can't be bothered to read those threads doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

As for "having some really good safeties late in round 1", guess what, there are going to be some really good safeties in round 2 and 3 and 4 as well.

YOur telling me you think Mills will be cut? Please.. Mill will make the team. By your own records, he has a low salary cap and the ability to be versatile (something Bill loves).. He's not getting cut..

There is a good chance that Mills could be cut, yes. Mills hasn't proven to be versatile. He hasn't proven anything yet. So he'll be fighting for a job come training camp.

I fail to see where I EVER said Watson was a H-BACK.. The only time I mentioned him is when I was reminding you that he was REDSHIRTED like Mills in his 1st year.. AND WE DIDN"T GIVE UP ON HIM.. My god son!

What's your point? Mills hasn't done squat yet (i agree).. But your boy Leonard hasn't either..
Do you really feel good about Harrison and Wilson in the backfield for another season? They havne' done it in over two years..

McSully, how about you take care of the cranial rectal inversion you are suffering from and actually go learn something about the depth in the defensive backfield of this draft. When you do, you might just realize that there is tremendous depth in this draft at safety and that there are players available in the 3rd 4th and 5th round who could provide better VALUE.

OH, and, btw, Ryahn Claridge red-shirted his first year and the Pats cut ties with him. And they have done that with many others. Watson was a 1st round pick who had signed a 6 year deal. BIG difference over a 4th round pick who hadn't done anything and was signed to minimums.

Oh, one last thing since you can't be bothered to read other posts, I've gone on record about Wilson's problems. I know them and have been talking about them for over a year. So, please don't try and act like you are bringing something NEW to the table when you mention Wilson and how he's played.

Yes, I said that I believe that Harrison and Sanders will be our strong safeties for the next two years. Sanders might "start" or not. Miguel has him as our starter in 2007. That's fine. In any case, we'll gladly pay $2.7M and $3M next to have Harrison contribute in our next two Super Bowl runs. Both Sanders and Harrison are signed through 2008.

I'm sorry, but I can't agree with that. I think it's unlikely Harrison will start for the entirely of 2007, much less 2008. Harrison's close to the end, IMO.

Last edited:
McSully, how about you take care of the cranial rectal inversion you are suffering from and actually go learn something about the depth in the defensive backfield of this draft.

Always found it funny when people are tough on the internet..hahhah... Love the personal attacks.. Keep them coming :) Could really care less..

We'll agree to disagree.. But once the season starts and the roster is set.. We'll see who is on the team.. I'm sure Mills will be there and Leonard won't.. Going to save this and bring it up..

NOw I know why you have 5000 + posts.. Nem Jr..

Sorry I can't read every post on every thread.. I prefer articles of substance..

l8tr ..heheheh.. To funny.. Just to funny

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes