PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Meta-mock 1.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metaphors

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
After picking apart the good work of others, only fair to put my own effort up for ridicule. As always, each pick with exactly 5 words of commentary.

1. CAR - QB Cam Newton, Auburn ... Someone pay attention to us
2. DEN - DE Marcel Dareus, Alabama ... Josh would have loved him
3. BUF - DE Nick Fairley, Auburn ... Must pressure QB to win
4. CIN - WR AJ Green, Georgia ... Makes average QB look good
5. ARZ - LB Von Miller, Texas A&M ... Joey Porter not the answer
6. CLE - DE Da'Quan Bowers, Clemson ... Big plays for new scheme
7. SF - CB Patrick Peterson, LSU ... Clements costs big, plays small
8. TEN - QB Blaine Gabbart, Missouri ... Can't rush every single down
9. DAL - OT Tyron Smith, USC ... Colombo will get Romo killed
10. WAS - DE Robert Quinn, UNC ... Will be terror opposite Orakpo
11. HOU - CB Prince Amukamara, Nebraska ... Make playoffs? Must beat Indy.
12. MIN - OLB Aldon Smith, Missouri ... Need QB, just not here
13. DET - OT Nate Solder, Colorado ... Stafford can't throw from backside
14. STL - WR Julio Jones, Alabama ... Expensive QB needs capable targets
15. MIA - RB Mark Ingram, Alabama ... Offense needs to start over
16. JAX - DE Ryan Kerrigan, Purdue ... Kampman has ligaments like spaghetti
17. NE - DE Cameron Jordan, California ... Helps all over front 7
18. SD - DE JJ Watt, Wisconsin ... Bolts can score, need toughness
19. NYG - OG Mike Pouncey, Florida ... Line needs help all over
20. TB - DE Adrian Clayborn, Iowa ... Perfect fit for Tampa scheme
21. KC - NT Phil Taylor, Baylor ... Improving defense needs big guy
22. IND - OT Anthony Castonzo, BC ... Goober needs much better protection
23. PHI - CB Brandon Harris, Miami ... Patriot retreads not the answer
24. NO - DT Corey Liuget, Illinois ... Saints too soft in middle
25. SEA - QB Jake Locker, Washington ... Need QB, Locker stays home
26. BAL - CB Jimmy Smith, Colorado ... Questionable attitude OK in Baltimore
27. ATL - OT Derrick Sherrod, Miss State ... Ryan needs time to throw
28. NE - OT Gabe Carimi, Wisconsin ... Time for offensive line makeover
29. CHI - WR Jonathan Baldwin, Pittsburgh ... Cutler lacks top receiving threat
30. NYJ - OLB Justin Houston, Georgia ... Start recovery from Gholston disaster
31. PIT - ILB Martez Wilson, Illinois ... Steelers love linebackers, Farrior ancient
32. GB - Brooks Reed, Arizona ... Worked with Matthews, why not?

Also, my current thinking on the overall Pats haul:

DE Cameron Jordan, California
OT Gabe Carimi, Wisconsin
OLB Jabaal Sheard, Pittsburgh
RB Ryan Williams, Virginia Tech
OG Clint Boling, Georgia
S Deunta Williams, North Carolina
CB Richard Sherman, Stanford
C Jake Kirkpatrick, TCU
DE Frank Kearse, Alabama A&M

Last edited:
:ugh: :nooo: :itsok:

Last edited:
I'm wondering about the quarterbacks in this draft. Seems to me that though this draft class is a bit weak at QB, teams in need of a QB - of which there are many this year - usually can't resist drafting a QB early. In this mock the third one isn't taken until #25; is that realistic?

loved it. commentary made me laugh. i think the NE picks are good and plausible. nice work, must have taken forever.

Loved the effort of the 5 word statements, and they all made good sense.

Nice job, the only question I would have is the re-questioning of the 3rd QB being taken late in round 1, other than that, as good of a mock as anyone else's for sure.

The Pats picks may very well be a lot closer to your 'unsexy' selections than most realize. (although Cameron Jordan, Sheard, and Carimi aren't exactly no names either) I believe Williams from Va Tech was in for a visit too. I'm not as brushed up on the mid to late rds as I would like to be, but it would fill needs. Not sure about BPA though.

Last edited:
I'm wondering about the quarterbacks in this draft. Seems to me that though this draft class is a bit weak at QB, teams in need of a QB - of which there are many this year - usually can't resist drafting a QB early. In this mock the third one isn't taken until #25; is that realistic?

It was hard for me not to include Mallett in the first round. I rate his upside as much higher than Flacco. Leaving him out is me listening to the buzz and not my own evaluation.

I also really like Ponder. Great decision-making and leadership. Nice consolation prize for a team that passes on QB in the first round.

I actually don't see the Pats taking Sheard at #33. I expect Washington and Minnesota to be looking to trade up and grab a QB ahead of Buffalo. While I only have 3 QBs in the top 25, I think Mallett and Ponder are gone early on day 2. The next level is a jumble so teams may not be as anxious to jump in.

Love the Kearse pick. Considering the terrible coaching he received at A&M, he has a chance to be a small school find in our system.

Love the Kearse pick. Considering the terrible coaching he received at A&M, he has a chance to be a small school find in our system.

I think the Pats also visited with Corbin Bryant from Northwestern (6'4", 305) so there looks to be some late round options if the draft falls in such a way that 3-4 DE doesn't work out early.

FYI...While Cam Jordan can play DE in base, I don't see him as ideal there. I see the Pats lining him up all over the field. If Belichick doesn't see that capability in him, I don't see the Pats taking him at #17 and other options (like Wilkerson in the 1st or Jenkins in the 2nd) come into play.

Nice haul. Landing any combination of Carimi + Jordan/Watt/Wikerson + Reed/Sheard would make me very happy.

After picking apart the good work of others, only fair to put my own effort up for ridicule. As always, each pick with exactly 5 words of commentary.

31. PIT - ILB Martez Wilson, Illinois ... Steelers love linebackers, Farrior ancient

OG Clint Boling, Georgia
C Jake Kirkpatrick, TCU

i am starting to like carimi at 28 if he can fall my picks there are out of wilkerson, liguit, carimi and pouncey. but then again i am hoping for aldon smith at 17

Sorry to sound like Andy Hart here, but if the one GLARING weakness of the defense was its inability to get to the QB, While one of the strengths was the OL. So pardon me if I question the rationale of taking 3 OLmen and only on potential pass rusher, and that guy at 33.

There are 3 impact pass rushers IMHO in this draft.who are edge rushers, Miller, Quinn, and ASmith, who could make an impact as a situational rusher. Miller looks like he'll be out of reach, but I'll be as pissed as Any Hart :)rolleyes:) If we don't get one of those guys.

Sorry to sound like Andy Hart here, but if the one GLARING weakness of the defense was its inability to get to the QB, While one of the strengths was the OL. So pardon me if I question the rationale of taking 3 OLmen and only on potential pass rusher, and that guy at 33.

There are 3 impact pass rushers IMHO in this draft.who are edge rushers, Miller, Quinn, and ASmith, who could make an impact as a situational rusher. Miller looks like he'll be out of reach, but I'll be as pissed as Any Hart :)rolleyes:) If we don't get one of those guys.

Great post!!

I remember last year in AUG when everyone was worried about Brady not getting protected with Mankins taking some time off. After 6 weeks of the season those same people where then saying that we did not need him?? I think our OL is going to be fine with a lower pick at 60 or after kinda the same place we got Volmer. Our defense is going to get alot of attention and if one of the pass rusher your mention above slip out of the top ten we jump up to grab one of the three.

Nice haul. Landing any combination of Carimi + Jordan/Watt/Wikerson + Reed/Sheard would make me very happy.

If I could land Carimi, Jordan, and Reed, I would be SO HAPPY.

0.jpg

Yes the offensive line was mostly fine during 2010. However, offensive line is a position of need in 2011 and especially in 2012. The Mankins situation doesn't sit well, and the team does not have a starting left tackle in 2011. Koppen is aging, and Connolly isn't a starter. Protecting the team's $20-million star QB should always be a top priority.

Front seven edge players are also a position of need in 2011 and in future years. However, the value and talent of players at these positions dramatically decrease from picks 1-10 to everything else. In addition, players at these positions historically have a higher bust-rate than offensive linemen. The drop-off between a top ten offensive linemen versus a late first offensive linemen isn't as great, and the value is still there.

A 2-gap DE that consistently draws the attention of two blockers immensely helps the pass rush. A player like this, in my opinion, provides a better foundation upon building a pass rush than a situational pass rusher (a la Seymour versus Clay Matthews). A player like this also allows for more variety and unpredictability in blitz schemes and coverage disguises. Wilkerson, Watt, and Jordan are players that potentially fit this mold. Selecting a DE at #17 and an OLB at #33 addresses the 'pass-rush' deficiencies in two different ways.

Miller is a top ten pick. Quinn is a top ten pick. Smith may fall to 17, but many scouts and 'experts' feel that he should gain weight and play as a 43 DE, or become a situational pass rusher. A situational pass rusher is not worth the economic constraint tied with a first round pick. In my opinion, the 'Willie McGinest' type of 34 OLB will not be found in the first round of this draft, and neither will a Richard Seymour (maybe Dareus). I do think Watt, Wilkerson, and Jordan have the potential to have a career similar to Ty Warren.

Mike Reiss has written a few times in his blog that drafting a situational pass rusher in round 1 should be considered because of the percentage of sub-packages the Patriots have ran in the past two years. I disagree. I believe this is a consequence of not having ideal 2-gap DEs or 34 OLBs that can play on all three downs. The Patriots defense, and most other 34 schemes, are predicated on versatility. The Patriots have lacked players with the adequate versatility, and as a consequence, they are in a sub-package 50+% of the time. I don't think BB wants to do this.

Last edited:
Mike Reiss has written a few times in his blog that drafting a situational pass rusher in round 1 should be considered because of the percentage of sub-packages the Patriots have ran in the past two years. I disagree. I believe this is a consequence of not having ideal 2-gap DEs or 34 OLBs that can play on all three downs. The Patriots defense, and most other 34 schemes, are predicated on versatility. The Patriots have lacked players with the adequate versatility, and as a consequence, they are in a sub-package 50+% of the time. I don't think BB wants to do this.

NICE. :cool:

Concur.

It All Starts In The Trenches.

Yes, it IS That Simple.

A 2-gap DE that consistently draws the attention of two blockers immensely helps the pass rush. A player like this, in my opinion, provides a better foundation upon building a pass rush than a situational pass rusher (a la Seymour versus Clay Matthews). A player like this also allows for more variety and unpredictability in blitz schemes and coverage disguises. Wilkerson, Watt, and Jordan are players that potentially fit this mold. Selecting a DE at #17 and an OLB at #33 addresses the 'pass-rush' deficiencies in two different ways.

I agree with this whole post, and especially these two paragraphs. I was on the Aldon Smith bandwagon for a while. Now, I'm completely on the "Screw whatever problem you have with Tom Condon and trade up for Watt" bandwagon. He's got great size, good arms, elite lateral agility, and top-notch character. He'll be closer to Mike Wright than Ty Warren his first year, but he's the only DE in the draft who has Seymour potential, in my opinion. And as you said, adding a DE should have just as much of an effect as adding an OLB.

I also agree that Reiss needs to stop spewing that 57% stat and realize that not every every one of those snaps used a 4-man line, and not every one of those snaps was a passing play. The Pats need more 3 down players, not better role players.

OG Clint Boling, Georgia
C Jake Kirkpatrick, TCU

O.K. Not all my favorites but I wouldn't slash my wrists.
I have been thinking about this last year and if you dissect the needs of what this Team really needs, sometimes the obvious flashes, but then this is BB. He had watched all of his tape on CB Butler and perhaps overspent on Bodden slightly when he graded Butler, Wilhite etal out. I am o.k. with Bodden but BB I think has a philosophy of not just BPA but need at the same time, with versatility and value combining all together. So he goes out and takes CB McCourty which blew us all away. He knew Butler wasn't ready yet but when he said McCourty was a three down CB it stuck in my mind he had a plan. Still hated the move but he reinforced his decision with the play of McCourty.

I think our actual needs according to BB are not what we all think they are. When Brady needed WR he went out and got not one but three top tier WR. Last year TE was a glaring issue. BB picks up a FA and Drafts two more TE's because he knew it was hurting the Pats with an under performing Watson.

Here are what I can see the Pats might actually be looking for:
Not one but two pass rushing OLB types (he does cover his bets)

I believe he gathers two OL adds. One will be a top tier the other a lower pick so he doesn't waste all the upper picks on, and an OL replacement will wait until like the 3rd round for Volmer of 5th for Koppen.

I think he does not go DE unless someone falls into his lap like a Jordan or Watt at #33 which won't happen. If Bailey from Miami slid to #74, he might be hard to pass up. He has DE starters in Wright and Warren. Stroud was picked up as insurance. I think Brace is the most "Seymouresque" as hopefully coming into his own and winning that spot. Then you have Pryor, Deadrick and Cohen. VW played DE as well. You backup NT is Love. You have 8 DE's that are more squatty and thick and not built for pass rush, but why pick up Stroud if you are going to go DE? I thought he would but I am changing that tune. The most pressure I saw on the QB last season was when the ran Arrington outside at about 200lbs. Maybe Bill is on to something.

I think he goes NT to allow more versatility to Wilfork and extend his shelf life.

I think he goes middle draft for a RB that can run and catch but is not just a second Woodhead.

I think WR he waits until the end of the Draft and picks a FA for sure to add. Brady doesn't need four yougsters at WR to worry about.

Then he will pick up a camp arm who will challenge Hoyer but will have to be pretty special and way much better to leap frog him. UDFA?

I think BB goes for what might have been a glaring weakness the whole season besides rush (by the way we were 14th in sacks so not at the bottom) and that is Safety. He covered his bets by spending money on Page and Barrett. I like Merriweather but he and Chung are both more thumpers in style and not playmakers and Safeties who can cover. 30th in the League will stick out badly to BB. Harrison could do both. You need one playmaker if you keep one of Chung or Merriweather. plus they have to be able to cover. I think he goes for a CB conversion because there are so many rangy CBs in this Draft that could play Safety yet have the aptitude to cover. He also goes FA for a play making Safety.

I see this as another way to look at this Draft.
I think perhaps the following:
#17 Kerrigan-Versatile OLB or can put his hand on the ground.

#28 Watkins G-Can play RT but will be guard insurance.

#33 Reed OLB- See #17. You can't block both of them. This could be fun.

#60 Ellis Kendrick NT. This would be a typical BB WTF pick.He expands the value of Wilfork. Watch some tape on this kid.He is quick at 340lbs.

#74 Murray RB. What will entice BB is 71 receptions last year. I love BGE but he is not a receiving threat. Murray is a home run hitter and 216lbs. Good 3 guy rotation. Sammy stays as FB/ST. Faulk retires.

#92 John Moffitt C/G. Big dude will be size upgrade and groomed for Koppen.

4th Round- Greg Romeus DE/OLB-6'5" 270LBS. Would have bee a top ten in 2011 but for injuries. Steal of the Draft. This is like the Brandon Tate pick.

5th Round-Cortez Allen 6'2" 200 lbs FA. Is big CB with speed and can cover. Very disciplined and fast.

5th Round Comp-Shiloh Keo. S. Major ST player and will return punts. Bets defensive player in the Shrine game.

6th Round-Andre Holmes(Hillsdale) 6' 5" 4.51-40, 210 lbs 104 receptions last year. A gamble pick.

No OT? I think they sign Light for another 2 Years and it looks as though both sides have interest. You still have Kaczur and they are trying to make Maneri into one of "DANTE'S KIDS". Watkins played OT in college as did Moffit somewhat....Versatility!

So I see WR and S addressed in FA. (Steve Smith or Sims-Walker or Moss at WR? And I would love to see Weddle play for BB at FS)
DW Toys

Last edited:
Taking 3 OLBs and no DEs sounds horrid to me. The Wright experiment failed in 2009. He was excellent in a subpackage role in 2010. Warren is a huge question mark, but a great starter if healthy.

Do you really need to knock Cunningham out of a full-time role, and knock Ninkovich off the roster? Seems like extreme overkill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft