PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Media speculation: Cassel draws interest [mergedx2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: greenway

i think you might want to check out clements' contract. i dont think youd want him after seeing it

That was my thought too. I think Clements makes more than Asante does, so I have my doubts the Pats would want that.

I think a 1st this year and a 2nd next year would be great, and I even think if we can get a couple teams in that division (Minny and Chicago maybe?) in a bidding war, the price could become two 1st's if they scare each other enough.

I liked him out of college but has had some seriuos injuries to knees. Out his whole rookie year........

Take the picks and get a new one.

Still Like San Fran for picks and clements

Still like my Wild a** crazy idea of Cassel to K.C. for a trade of first rounders (K.C.'s #3 in the first for our #23) and Pioli keeps a first rounder for an OL to protect Cassel, and we get the K.C. second round pick #35 plus Gonzales and his CAP friendly three year contract and hope he gets two good years for us (96 receptions last year).

Now trade that silly #3 pick to Carolina (no first round pick for the Panthers this year and Peppers wants out to a 3-4 Championship caliber team) for Julius Peppers and maybe our third rounder (we have two with Samuel going to the Eagles anyway). Many here would like to see FA Suggs or Dansby in NE in 2009. I say they cost as much as Peppers to sign anyway.

A high second rounder would work and you could still get a Clay Matthews, a Percy Harvin or even a SS in Moore.

Summary:
Cassels=
Peppers, Gonzales, and any of the above very good draft selections....What niceeeee!

We get our pass rusher who is still young, a tough reliable receiver (Pop quiz: It's third down and six. You are the opposite teams DC. Who do you cover, Welker or Gonzales?) and we get youth and speed with a top valued draft pick.
DW Toys

Last edited:
Re: cassel......to the vikings?

“I’m open to all options at this point,” Casell told reporters last week. “We’re going to go out and explore all options and see what’s best for me and my career. And also what direction we want to go. Discussions really haven’t started yet with [the Patriots]. I wish I had more to go off of. Definitely, we’re going into this with a complete open mind. Nothing is out of the question.”

That is the most important part of this article. That sort of talk makes him even MORE attractive to every single team in the NFL. It raises his value to the patriots, and helps ensure that they get maximum return for him in the case they DO trade him. AND if they don't, it ensures that everyone respects and admires him throughout the organization.. both management and teammates. My estimation of him just goes up more and more as the year goes on.

IMO, the Vikings & Bucs make the most sense as far as Cassel trade partners. Both have good defenses, good running games, good OL and are a solid QB away from being legit NFC Super Bowl contenders.

And most importantly for trade purposes, both have the "proper value" first round draft pick in the 20s.

I feel strongly that Cassel will go to either of these teams for their 2009 first and a 2010 conditional pick (high as a 1st, low as a 4th).

Still like my Wild a** crazy idea of Cassel to K.C. for a trade of first rounders (K.C.'s #3 in the first for our #23) and Pioli keeps a first rounder for an OL to protect Cassel, and we get the K.C. second round pick #35 plus Gonzales and his CAP friendly three year contract and hope he gets two good years for us (96 receptions last year).

Now trade that silly #3 pick to Carolina (no first round pick for the Panthers this year and Peppers wants out to a 3-4 Championship caliber team) for Julius Peppers and maybe our third rounder (we have two with Samuel going to the Eagles anyway). Many here would like to see FA Suggs or Dansby in NE in 2009. I say they cost as much as Peppers to sign anyway.

A high second rounder would work and you could still get a Clay Matthews, a Percy Harvin or even a SS in Moore.

Summary:
Cassels=
Peppers, Gonzales, and any of the above very good draft selections....What niceeeee!

We get our pass rusher who is still young, a tough reliable receiver (Pop quiz: It's third down and six. You are the opposite teams DC. Who do you cover, Welker or Gonzales?) and we get youth and speed with a top valued draft pick.
DW Toys

I like the idea of trading Cassel to KC, but the drop from #3 to #23 alone is equivalent to something around the 9th overall. If you're suggesting Matt Cassel is equal to that ok, but then you're also including KC's 2nd AND Gonzalez? I can't imagine Pioli would go along with that.

My suggested trade scenario would include a 3rd team, Buffalo who is actually in need of a TE.

KC gets Buffalo's #11 pick & Matt Cassel

Buf gets NE's #23 pick & Gonzo

NE gets KC's #3 pick​

Now trading that #3 pick back becomes tricky, but certainly the idea of Peppers in a Pats uni is intriguing.

I like the idea of trading Cassel to KC, but the drop from #3 to #23 alone is equivalent to something around the 9th overall. If you're suggesting Matt Cassel is equal to that ok, but then you're also including KC's 2nd AND Gonzalez? I can't imagine Pioli would go along with that.

My suggested trade scenario would include a 3rd team, Buffalo who is actually in need of a TE.

KC gets Buffalo's #11 pick & Matt Cassel

Buf gets NE's #23 pick & Gonzo

NE gets KC's #3 pick​

Now trading that #3 pick back becomes tricky, but certainly the idea of Peppers in a Pats uni is intriguing.

I think that people looking at the value charts are probably missing the picture. This is not, in my opinion, due to anything other than the unusual circumstances involved. It seems to me that the real question is more along the line of:

If you considered Cassel to be a draftable player this year, where would he rate compared to the other quarterbacks and which pick(s) would he be worth.

For example, if Pioli thinks Cassel is a top flight quarterback just waiting to happen, he'll be more willing to fork over higher picks, regardless of the draft chart. Veterans don't impact that chart the way people are presupposing they do in this thread. Roy Williams is a perfect example of this.

Of course, if Pioli thinks Cassel's a stiff who had a good run, all this is moot.

Last edited:

Still think this is all premature...

The good news, if true, is that the Vikings are interested. If the Pats can get more interest from KC and DET, than they might be able to move Cassel for great picks and/or players.

Big fan of Chad Greenway. Felt for him when he got the knee injury that cost him a season, but he came back strong. I'm pretty sure he was slotted as an OLB with speed. But with the knee injury, I don't know how much speed he has coming off the edge.

I read a lot of people wanting picks instead of a player, but that just reminds me of all those wasted picks we got from the NY Jets when the Pats moved Parcells to NY... err.. he left us Pat fans for NY. Honestly, did we get anything from that with exception of one good year of Andy Katzenmoyer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back