PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Meat on the bone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Correct.

A deal to favor your trading Partner exhibit A:

March 2009: NE gifts the new KC GM Scott Pioli a present:
QB Matt Cassel, and one if it's All-Time Clutch performers, LB Mike Vrabel, for a paltry 2nd RD pick.

I understand your premise, but this is probably a poor example.

At the time, after the Pats had tagged Cassell, they were so tight to the cap that they had no space left to sign their own in-house UFAs until they got Cassell's number off the books. They were behind the 8-ball an all their potential trading partners knew it. They weren't doing Pioli any favors, probably more the opposite.

In the case of JG, my guess is that they may have gotten somewhat better offers from a couple of AFC teams but simply didn't want him going to any other team in the conference and they took the best deal they were offered by an NFC team. That may have come down to SFO and ARZ, since most of the other NFC teams appear to have a a significant investment in a "starter" for the next couple seasons. If the SFO-ARZ offers were equal, SFO may have gotten the nod simply because they have more cap space to proved JG with an appropriate extension ($57 million vs. $5 million for ARZ).

That said, I think your premise may be somewhat applicable to lower level deals on occasion, and it certainly seems to apply to mid and late round picks-for-picks trades during the draft where the Pats have often given a bit of a discount off the standard value chart "price" to their regular trading partners.

In any case, I really don't think your premise applies very well to trades involving premier player and top-40 draft picks like the JG deal.

Pretty sure everyone missed the premise of the thread.
If you are trying to say belichick takes less than he can get so he is liked you are out if your mind.

BB and some sort of popularity contest are mutually exclusive terms..

Part of being a Patriots fan is conceeding that we or anyone else are not better than the GM at playing NFL poker. We can second guess this bet or that bet but by the end of the tournaments, there's one guy that has won't more hands than anyone else. It is what it is.

I don't care, I can't (under)stand it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft