PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mcgrone/Bledsoe what’s the plan?

Agree, Its week 12 now, so they can practice through week 15, so the timing seems about right. You would have to think that they would be an upgrade over Munson and Bryant.

Imagine if either one of them pans out, this might go down as the best BB draft class ever.
Bryant has filled in okay and Munson has contributed on special teams. While I look forward to both McGrone and Bledsoe (my binky), I see an injury as their opportunity this year. Eager to be proven wrong and have them show up as improvements.

If McGrone is healthy enough to move, can understand the playbook, boy do we have a team. We have needed speed at the LB position and McGrone can provide us with the side to side defense.
You cant play with speed until you understand the D and your role. That takes at least a year. Look at Dugger. He can utilize his speed now because he knows what hes doing. McGrone is an interesting prospect who could potentially
develop into a speedy lb but definitely not this year. Maybe by end of next year.

Agree, Its week 12 now, so they can practice through week 15, so the timing seems about right. You would have to think that they would be an upgrade over Munson and Bryant...

I would keep Munson, but I would absolutely ****ing sh!t-can that ****ing worthless ****ing pile of poo Brandon the King of Incriminating Photos in favor of a healthy Cam McGroan in less than a ****ing heartbeat.

As for Bedsore, he's not replacing Myles Bryant, who's done a decent job so far of replacing Jon Jones at Slot CB... In fact Bedsore's not replacing Anybody, because the dude is a non-priority UDFA talent who never, Ever should've been drafted At All.

You'd have to waive them first. If they pass through waivers they'd then be free agents that you could potentially sign to the practice squad. So that's very unlikely to happen - they'll likely just be put back on to IR after 3 weeks unless we have some other injuries.

I doubt you can just stash them on IR. The NFL sorta frowns on that.

Agree, Its week 12 now, so they can practice through week 15, so the timing seems about right. You would have to think that they would be an upgrade over Munson and Bryant.

Imagine if either one of them pans out, this might go down as the best BB draft class ever.
Bryant is the starting nickel and has been outstanding.

I doubt you can just stash them on IR. The NFL sorta frowns on that.
No, they don't. I believe they come off the IR and then have3 weeks of practice to see if they are healthy, then they either make the roster or go to season ending ir.

No, they don't. I believe they come off the IR and then have3 weeks of practice to see if they are healthy, then they either make the roster or go to season ending ir.
But if a player feels like they're ready and the team disagrees, can the player negotiate an injury settlement/release?

But if a player feels like they're ready and the team disagrees, can the player negotiate an injury settlement/release?

They can request it or force the issue by sitting out.

You'd have to waive them first. If they pass through waivers they'd then be free agents that you could potentially sign to the practice squad. So that's very unlikely to happen - they'll likely just be put back on to IR after 3 weeks unless we have some other injuries.

We always overrate our own players.

Bledsoe was picked 188 - McGrone 177 William Sherman was picked 197 so 9 picks after Bledsoe and 20 after McGrone. Sherman has been sitting on the squad the entire season and no other team has cared.

Everyone has their own draft hopefuls that know the system they are in. Neither of these players have any tape for another team to give up a spot on the 53.

If they're any good today, the Patriots would not cut them.

redshirt.

Not expecting much from them anyway though.

If they somehow become impact players, those are huge steals.

If they're any good today, the Patriots would not cut them.

But the Patriots have an easy option - just keep them on IR. So basically a red shirt year, but with the opportunity to practice for 3 weeks. Yes, they very likely would not be claimed on waivers, but why even take the chance? McGrone in particular was highly regarded - he only fell as far as he did because of his injury. Some team already out of the running might take a flier on him - be like a free fourth round pick for them.

I saw both McGrone and Bledsoe started practicing this week, starting their 21 day windows to return. I kind of thought this was a red shirt year for both.

McGrone has some athleticism and Bledsoe special teams and flexibility with safety, but I kind of feel like we’re stocked up on both positions right now.

is there a chance either gets activated this year? Is BB just getting them 3 weeks worth of practice/experience before shutting them down for the year? Seems like odd timing with the bye week coming up, if you’re thinking about either player for injury depth.

Can’t think of too many other years where we’ve activated NFI rookies this late in the year.
It seems like exactly the timing I'd expect with the bye week coming up.

redshirt.

Not expecting much from them anyway though.

If they somehow become impact players, those are huge steals.
There are some pretty high expectations for McGrone. Check out his college highlight tape. The guy was a sideline to sideline monster.

McGrone is basically a bit bigger and a bit faster than Dugger. He's on the light side for a prototypical Pats MLB though. Some people say he's a potential Hightower replacement but that's a bit hard to see in the current system. Maybe more a Chung type box safety?

McGrone is basically a bit bigger and a bit faster than Dugger. He's on the light side for a prototypical Pats MLB though. Some people say he's a potential Hightower replacement but that's a bit hard to see in the current system. Maybe more a Chung type box safety?
McGrone is 233lbs. and can bulk up to 240lbs. Chung was 215lbs. McGrone is as close to Hightower as Chung.

Dugger ran a 4.49s 40. Everything I find about McGrone says he was 4.67 to 4.8. What's your source?

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back