PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McGinest to be released...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tom Curran was just on and his "mole" said it was not true, he said they were working some things out and #55 was not going to be released.

GJAJ15 said:
Tom Curran was just on and his "mole" said it was not true, he said they were working some things out and #55 was not going to be released.

That is great news! BIG SIGH!

:woohoo: :singing: Willie stays :eat1:

Try this; knowing what you know now, thanks to Tom, go back and read the whole thread again, especially the part about Highly Informed Glenn and his guarantees.

I of course don't know anything for sure, but WillieMac does not strike me as a Law/Milloy type who will holdout for the last possible Penny. If he is holding out for 8 million, then of course they have to let hime go! But with all the accounts I have read, the Pats have not even made any attempt recently to work something out.

This guy will be one year removed from setting the single game sack record in the playoss, and the all time playoff sackleader!

He is a team leader who leads by example!

Maybe some of you are okay with seeing WillieMac in another teams uniform.

I am not!

At the moment I have seen no evidence of the team trying come to an agreement with Willie. And I frankly think that is p!ss poor!

GJAJ15 said:

Please let this be true!

Richter said:
Like they should need an excuse.

PR people always look for excuses in order to stem the tide or stop the bleeding.

Bobs My Uncle said:
PR people always look for excuses in order to stem the tide or stop the bleeding.

My point was that they shouldn't need PR people at all, the general public should get its head out of its ass concerning this matter.

"Other than Willie saying no" is the operative part of your analysis.

dryheat44 said:
Okay, I get you now. But I was thinking of a two year contract, 2006 and 2007. As long as we stay within the 30 percent rule, we should be fine. For example, if I understand this correctly (which isn't a given) We could re-structure Willie to pay him 3 million this year and 3.9 million next year.

To me, that's reasonable. He'll be seeing 6.9 of his 7 million and change, all guaranteed. And that would probably take him to retirement.

Does that make sense? It seems too easy, so I may be missing something. Other than Willie just saying no.

Richter said:
My point was that they shouldn't need PR people at all, the general public should get its head out of its ass concerning this matter.
Hey, I don't disagree with ya. But, unfortunately, it is what it is because most of the general public don't have a clue which means things have to smoothed over.

mgteich said:
"Other than Willie saying no" is the operative part of your analysis.

No doubt. If he insists on playing 2006 at the number he's scheduled to, it won't work. It's hard to imagine though. He's renegotiated, what, four times already?

I suppose Kraft could also kibosh it, but I see that just as unlikely.

I'm not married to 3 and 3.9 either. I just didn't feel like breaking out a calculator to figure out 30% of other numbers. 4 and 5.2 would also work, or anything in between.

huskeralk said:
How would they be sending the wrong message? You can't pay a 34 year old LB $8 plus million for a season plain and simple. I'm sure they would like him to stay but if they can't reach an agreement, what other choice do they have?

Except they aren't talking about paying Willie 8.3 million for a single season. Why is it that so many people think that the SALARY CAP NUMBER is the amount that a player is getting paid?

The fact of the matter is that Willie is scheduled to get a 3.5 million salary and a 3.5 million roster bonus. That is a total of 7 million. The Pats could, very easily, restructure Willie's contract in a way that would give him a 6.23 million signing bonus and extend him through 2009. And it would reduce Willie's salary cap number to under 4 million. That would save the pats 4.3 million and keep one of the best OLBs in the 3-4 set in a Patriots uniform until he retires.

DaBruinz said:
Except they aren't talking about paying Willie 8.3 million for a single season. Why is it that so many people think that the SALARY CAP NUMBER is the amount that a player is getting paid?

The fact of the matter is that Willie is scheduled to get a 3.5 million salary and a 3.5 million roster bonus. That is a total of 7 million. The Pats could, very easily, restructure Willie's contract in a way that would give him a 6.23 million signing bonus and extend him through 2009. And it would reduce Willie's salary cap number to under 4 million. That would save the pats 4.3 million and keep one of the best OLBs in the 3-4 set in a Patriots uniform until he retires.

EXACTLY

and thats exactly what they better do

if willie is to go anywhere else, that team will automatically become my second fav team in the league (even if its the jets)

What makes anyone think that BB gives two sh!ts about the PR angle? He's been willing to make the tough call, and damn the media perception. To his credit, he tends to make the right call and always finds a way to make it work.

Losing Vinatieri, McGinest and Givens (if it comes to that) will not be the end of the dynasty (we always find a way to reload). In fact, taking a different view, by holding the line for frugality, you could say that he's perpetuating the dynasty.

Losing Belichick would a different matter entirely. Unto Ceasar the things belonging to Ceasar.

On a different line of thought:
If McGinest is cut, I see that as a certain sign that either Bobby Carpenter or Manny Lawson will be our first selection in the draft.

DaBruinz said:

Wasn't one of the "poison" pills a clause that both salary and any bonus or incentive counts towards the 2006 cap if this is to be the last cap year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes