PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mayo's Coaching Staff [Discuss Coaching Candidates Here!]

4 seasons as a WR coach at 2 teams who had pretty good WR production. Not saying he's my pick but it's not out of the realm of possibility.
Rookie HC with a defensive background & a first time signal caller on Offense? Given the state of our QB room and the likelihood of having to develop a rookie QB, it's not a move I'd have a lot of confidence in...

I would be interested in Zac Robinson, the QB Coach and Pass Game Coordinator of the Rams. He was also drafted by the Pats in 2010 so he would have some baseline familiarity with the offensive system that the team is used to running currently that he could use to translate into what he wants to run. He’s been a somewhat under-the-radar name for a couple years. They’ve done a good job being able to plug guys in quickly - Odell’s playoff run, Puka’s breakout rookie season. He also did a masterful job adding Baker Mayfield mid-season and getting him playing really well. May be a good choice for a new QB.

I know it became a popular thing to criticize Bill over but is this really a thing? I've never heard an OC pick his own staff that's the head coaches job.

What if the OC picks his staff and then gets hired as HC the whole staff leaves with him?

I get some coaches might be loyal to each other and like working with eachother but it's still got to be the head coach and/or gm doing the hiring.

I'm not 100% sure but I would assume when teams bring in a new OC and want to implement a new offense they allow that person to pick their own coaching assistants.

giving a new OC a bunch of guys who were with the old OC how would they implement their changes?

Pats need to compensate for hiring an inexperienced head coach and the likely departure of most of Bill's staff by getting one or possibly both coordinators who have head coaching experience.

Welker is the 4th best OC candidate on the Dolphins alone.

Where else do you think OC’s come from besides being positional coaches?
Does being a position coach automatically qualify some one to be a coordinator? I'll save you a few brain cells - the answer is no.

Exactly. It's a much bigger jump from a four-year split co-ordinator job with Steve B to HC!!!
Spot on Paco.

Still - Mayo has my full support & hoping he kicks ass/takes names as the Head Coach - leading us to victory, making us relevant again.

I know it became a popular thing to criticize Bill over but is this really a thing? I've never heard an OC pick his own staff that's the head coaches job.

What if the OC picks his staff and then gets hired as HC the whole staff leaves with him?

I get some coaches might be loyal to each other and like working with eachother but it's still got to be the head coach and/or gm doing the hiring.
It's clear the meddling the Krafts did caused a bad dynamic on the staff. I think the assistant coach who made mention of this got to the heart of the problem. And this extended to who chose the players at key positions.

Because of the Krafts, Belichick lost control of coaches and player decisions.

If they don't rehire O'Brien, then that guy's career is over.

He's known as a guy who came in and undermined the HC at the owner's behest.

Who would want that as your OC?

It's the exact same situation as what the Giants were just dealing with between Martindale and Daboll.

If they don't rehire O'Brien, then that guy's career is over.

He's known as a guy who came in and undermined the HC at the owner's behest.

Who would want that as your OC?

It's the exact same situation as what the Giants were just dealing with between Martindale and Daboll.
What did BOB do to undermind BB?

Kraft ran BB out of town and I don’t blame him but whats mind boggling to me is that he seems satisfied with everything else.
Which tells you that Kraft believed the #1 problem was Belichick.

What did BOB do to undermind BB?
The stuff in the article about not following Belichick's gameplan until later in the season when he realized it wasn't working with Mac Jones. I don't know why O'Brien went his own way. They said in the past, Belichick delegated a lot more but when coaches diverged from the plan, he had to take control back. If O'Brien was truly handpicked by Kraft (as the Herald article claimed) then I wonder if he was working for his "real boss." That's just speculation. But if you couple it with the ESPN article in which Kraft says he's going to get the guys in who will "support my quarterback" it's clear that O'Brien is one of those guys, and it's even more clear that this diverges from Belichick's sense of what to do with Mac Jones.

The stuff in the article about not following Belichick's gameplan until later in the season when he realized it wasn't working with Mac Jones. I don't know why O'Brien went his own way. They said in the past, Belichick delegated a lot more but when coaches diverged from the plan, he had to take control back. If O'Brien was truly handpicked by Kraft (as the Herald article claimed) then I wonder if he was working for his "real boss." That's just speculation. But if you couple it with the ESPN article in which Kraft says he's going to get the guys in who will "support my quarterback" it's clear that O'Brien is one of those guys, and it's even more clear that this diverges from Belichick's sense of what to do with Mac Jones.
OK. I didn't read all of the Wickersham crap. I take his stuff at face value.

I just don't see BOB doing that to BB.

so, we just gonna be running the Bill Belichick patriots without Bill here??

not that I don't think McDaniels is a good OC. but just seems kinda odd we get rid of Bill but then gonna keep the same front office and bring back McDaniels to run the offense.

was it really just about replacing Bill the GM?

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back