PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mayo wins Defensive Rookie of the Year award

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Mayo wins Defensive Rookie award

WOW! 49 out of 50 votes! Congrats to Jerod! Well deserved! It was fun watching him all season.

I want to know who the one douchebga vote is that prevented it from being unanimous.

Well deserved. Now if we could sneak Malaluga out of USC to join him next year...lol

Would....be.....AWESOME....:rocker:

I want to know who the one douchebga vote is that prevented it from being unanimous.

Well, the Bengals Keith Rivers received the other vote. He, of the broken jaw back in October. Not sure if he missed the rest of the season or not, but either way, he missed lots of time. That said, consider the vote unanimous, as the writer or broadcaster should be :banned:from voting.

Not sure, but it went to that kid in Cincinnati, Rivers.

Congrats Mayo, first since Haynes (1976) to win that award for the Pats

Last edited:

Congrats Mayo, well deserved. He played beyond my expectations for a rookie in BB's defense.

Definitely a home run with that pick in the draft.

Congrats Jerod! Nice win by such a convincing margin!

My only question is with Mayo getting 49 of 50 votes, what media clown voted for Keith Rivers?:)

Good to hear it. I hope Mayo stays healthy and becomes the defensive force he has the potential to be as a veteran.

Way to go Mayo you really do bring out the best.

28595-hi-Hellmanns.jpg

Well deserved award for Mayo!

I hope this award for Mayo and the Pat's coaches film of Mayo over the season convince Beoli that drafting a LB in the first round can be a good thing. The Pats will need more of them.....I would prefer them early rather than later since we have not had much luck with middle round LB choices lately.

Congrats Jerod!

He looked great out there from day one, I love that we traded down to get him too. :p

Last edited:

Damn right!

Where's that ESPN goof that had him on the most overrated list?

Awards like this often only lend credence to cries of someone being overrated, not the other way around.

And it was KC Joyner, who simply pointed out the fact that at that time many of Mayo's tackles were downfield. He was just saying that Mayo's tackles total was less impressive when you took into account that guys were getting 5-6 yards before being tackled.

Also, he said that Mayo was being overrated compared to the entirety of the NFL. This award is only for rookies.

All of this said, Mayo definitely deserved the award this year. He was the best defensive rookie this year. I look forward to seeing him become even better with a year of experience.

My only question is with Mayo getting 49 of 50 votes, what media clown voted for Keith Rivers?:)

I hear it was Evan Grant, the same guy who left Pedroia off of his MVP ballot.

Congrats #51:rocker:

A day or two after the draft, Pro Football Weekly predicted that Mayo would be the DROY. I posted that here when I read it. Looks like they knew what they were talking about on that one.

Awards like this often only lend credence to cries of someone being overrated, not the other way around.

And it was KC Joyner, who simply pointed out the fact that at that time many of Mayo's tackles were downfield. He was just saying that Mayo's tackles total was less impressive when you took into account that guys were getting 5-6 yards before being tackled.

Also, he said that Mayo was being overrated compared to the entirety of the NFL. This award is only for rookies.

All of this said, Mayo definitely deserved the award this year. He was the best defensive rookie this year. I look forward to seeing him become even better with a year of experience.

Quoting this for emphasis.

Two types of players frequently win DRotY; ILBs who rack up tackles and rush ends who rack up sacks. Defensive tackles do anonymous work and secondary players have a few years of adjustment before they're comfortable timing routes.

Sometimes a safety will be in the running on a really bad defense, again from racking up tackles.

Excellent news!! :) Congratulations, Jerod!! :)

Quoting this for emphasis.

Two types of players frequently win DRotY; ILBs who rack up tackles and rush ends who rack up sacks. Defensive tackles do anonymous work and secondary players have a few years of adjustment before they're comfortable timing routes.

Sometimes a safety will be in the running on a really bad defense, again from racking up tackles.

I agree with you that the position did help, but I think so did the fact that Belichick actually trusted him with calling signals for the defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes