EJ Blitz

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
@adamschefter

Well I guess that's that...

Can he pass the rusher?

@adamschefter

Well I guess that's that...

As I've said before, the fact that Cassel didn't work out in KC is not Cassel's fault, it's largely Pioli's.

In any case, if the Pats do sign him, I don't think it'll be right away. And, at any rate, at least he did get one big payday. :)

As bad as KC is, I think it's been proven the guy's just not cut out to be a franchise QB. However there are few backup QB's I'd rather have in case Brady were to go down. He's proven at least, make it happen and get what you can for Mallet

As bad as KC is, the guy's just not cut out to be a franchise QB. However there are few backup QB's I'd rather have in case Brady were to go down. He's proven at least.

that's when it was a matter of throwing it up to moss......

I just don't see cassel doing much in the current offense

Cassell stinks. I watched a few of his games in KC and he was horrendous. I think he would cost too much to be TFB's backup. I wouldn't give him more than $1M annually.

Let's not completely minimize Cassel here. He went for 27/7/93.0 in his second year in KC and went to the Pro Bowl.

I just don't see cassel doing much in the current offense

He did more than that, in fact I really only recall one long bomb to Moss against the 49ers. The current offense has alot of talent as well, most importantly JMD is here who I believe was a big part of his success in 2008.

I think he'll be back in NE.

As bad as KC is, I think it's been proven the guy's just not cut out to be a franchise QB. However there are few backup QB's I'd rather have in case Brady were to go down. He's proven at least, make it happen and get what you can for Mallet

NO, no, no. Cassell is a broken man. It's over. Like Mike Tyson when Buster Douglas refused to be bullied and beat him down so bad that Tyson couldn't even put the mouthpiece back in. Tyson never recovered, and I don't expect Cassell to either.

People are misunderstanding the Brady extension. This idea that he will decide how long he plays (through his 40th bday!?) is absurd. Like Brady's people said, it is first and foremost a short term salary cap device. Don't you guys see how the Pats operate? If they like Mallett and the choice is between losing him at 26 and hanging on to a 38 year old Brady, Brady is gone, even if they think Brady is better in the short term. Now, do they really like Mallett that much? I don't know, but there are signs that they at least like his potential. Why give that away for "what you can get"??? That's not smart management. Don't forget, the Pats have developed FAR lesser talents into serviceable NFL QB's (and in Brady's case, hall of fame QBs) -- the expectations for what they can do with Mallett should be sky high.

Free! Free at last!

Now who will rid me of this meddlesome backup 3rd round pick QB?

What's the phone # for the Browns?

NO, no, no. Cassell is a broken man. It's over. Like Mike Tyson when Buster Douglas refused to be bullied and beat him down so bad that Tyson couldn't even put the mouthpiece back in. Tyson never recovered, and I don't expect Cassell to either.

People are misunderstanding the Brady extension. This idea that he will decide how long he plays (through his 40th bday!?) is absurd. Like Brady's people said, it is first and foremost a short term salary cap device. Don't you guys see how the Pats operate? If they like Mallett and the choice is between losing him at 26 and hanging on to a 38 year old Brady, Brady is gone, even if they think Brady is better in the short term. Now, do they really like Mallett that much? I don't know, but there are signs that they at least like his potential. Why give that away for "what you can get"??? That's not smart management. Don't forget, the Pats have developed FAR lesser talents into serviceable NFL QB's (and in Brady's case, hall of fame QBs) -- the expectations for what they can do with Mallett should be sky high.

I thought Brady's money was guaranteed until his final season? So if Mallet is the real deal they'll extend him (which will cost close to $20M/year if he IS good enough to unseat Brady) and you are stuck paying Brady 8 figures to back him up?

I thought Brady's money was guaranteed until his final season? So if Mallet is the real deal they'll extend him (which will cost close to $20M/year if he IS good enough to unseat Brady) and you are stuck paying Brady 8 figures to back him up?

My understanding is that if he's on the roster at the end of one season, his next year's salary becomes fully guaranteed against injury, but NOT against skill.

My understanding is that if he's on the roster at the end of one season, his next year's salary becomes fully guaranteed against injury, but NOT against skill.

Correct. If they think Mallett is a franchise type guy, you will see him as the starter three years from now. Brady is not protected in that scenario.

Correct. If they think Mallett is a franchise type guy, you will see him as the starter three years from now. Brady is not protected in that scenario.

Actually, I think I was wrong before.

My new understanding, based on Miguel's page, is this:

* His 2013 and 2014 salaries are fully guaranteed.
* His 2015–2017 salaries are guaranteed against injury now. In other words, if, God forbid, Brady suffers a career-ending injury in the next two years, he still gets the full $24 million.
* If he finishes the 2014 season on the roster, his 2015 salary becomes fully guaranteed against skill as well. Ditto for the next two seasons as well.

So if they cut him in two years, there's still at least $18M in dead money.

Never seen so much fan fare for a back up. Flutie sort of but not like this. That was just fun.

I think the reason everyone wants this so bad is first obviously the nostalgia but more important than that I think people see it as part of the process of trading Mallett and there eyes light up with the thoughts of draft picks.

Personally I would like to hang on to Mallet at least one more year as if he does get play time and suceed (gof forbid) than it would likely be a number one.

As to Cassell no complaints at all about him being a back up. There wouldnt seem to be a more perfect canidate as he knows the system and proven to be able to win in this league. IMO your back up at a minimum should be someone you could go .500 with in the short term that way a non-season ending injury does not shoot your chances down.

Lastly to his time in KC I saw that as a perfect storm of disasters starting with his MCL knee injury his first year there which got him off to a slow start not aweful. He played much better in his second year and then I think injury struck again in year 3 and it was all down hill from there for him and the team as whole.

Personally I would think there is a spot in the league where he could compete to be the starter which he would want more than coming here but I dont think he should be handed a job. I think Cleveland should think about him, maybe Buffalo, and a few teams in similar spots. Dont try and force him into your Franchise QB but have him compete with another vet while you train a rookie or something.

<snip>

If they don't move Mallett through a decent, quality offer (assuming they get one) this off-season then the above becomes more plausible ...... even if it is Brady.

Once we had a QB named Bledsoe and he was loved ............ and then he got dumped. Sentimentality is not a BB character trait (in Business).

Let's sign Cassell to a long-term deal as a backup, trade Mallet for whatever we can get (perhaps on draft day) and move forward with the Belichick/Brady era.

Seems to me there was a QB named Plunkett who came to the Pats as the #1 pick in the draft. He was thoroughly beaten up over several years, and then traded to the 49ers who also stunk.

Totally destroyed; but the Raiders picked him up for a song, put him on their depth chart, and let him heal for a couple of years.

Then they won a Super Bowl or two with him playing QB...

Let's sign Cassell to a long-term deal as a backup, trade Mallet for whatever we can get (perhaps on draft day) and move forward with the Belichick/Brady era.

Why would you want to pay Cassel a couple million per year?? or whatever he would get paid? They could draft a guy in the 3rd or 4th round who would be much cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back