PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Martz As Oc?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bill's Girl said:
Yup!! Martz is to stubborn to work well in this system.

Anyone know how many Super Bowl winning coaches have become coordinators after thier ring??

You know the Pats won that Super Bowl right?

If you are asking if people know how many HCs won SBs in a previous life as coordinators, only to become head coaches and fail, and then get hired on somewhere again as coordinators, I'm sure that list would be exhaustive.

But we could start it with Bill Belichick.

Last edited:
I don't know why anyone would think BB would have a hard time working with Martz. I never heard of any waves when MM worked under Vermeil and the only thing they did was win a superbowl together.

At first I was opposed by the idea but the more I ponder it it the more it makes sense. I don't think anyone utilizes the QB and WR's better than Martz does. We are loaded at those positions. Let's face it,our passing game is our offenses greatest strength. So why not utilize it to it's potential?

patriotsrule said:
He thinks very highly of him? Apparently you didn't read the book on Belichick then. He all but said the guy couldn't coach pee wee football.

I didn't read the book either, but I would assume that Belichick respects how much knowlege he has on the offensive side of the ball. However, he probably has no respect for him as a head coach managing the game. Fortunately, if he came to the Pats as the OC, he would be more of an asset to the Patriots because his job would be exploiting his strengths. We wouldn't have to worry about his weaknesses.

Oh, one more thing. Remember, the week leading up to SB 36 where there was the debate about who was more of a genius? Remember, at the time Belichick was considered only to be a genius on the defensive side of the ball, while Martz was considered to be a genius on the offensive side of the ball. Even in the SB 36 DVD, it opens up with kind of a "magical" music and describing the genius of the two coaches. Think of the playcalling possibilities if we had these two on the same side. Belichick wouldn't have to focus as much on the offensive side of the ball and could delegate more to Martz, much like he did when Charlie was here. He could then focus more on the defensive side of the ball and help Pees out if needed.

tombonneau said:
You know the Pats won that Super Bowl right?

If you are asking if people know how many HCs won SBs in a previous life as coordinators, only to become head coaches and fail, and then get hired on somewhere again as coordinators, I'm sure that list would be exhaustive.

But we could start it with Bill Belichick.

One of the reasons the Patriots won that Super Bowl is because Martz was too subborn to change his offensive game plan. His ego was to big to allow for modification of his game plan!

NO, I mean head coaches who won a Super Bowl and THEN ended up as coordinators.... I am thinking that list would be quite small thanks to egos and pride. My ultimate point is that I don't think Martz will settle for anything less than a HC job!

How frightening to think of Mike Martz with two SB rings? Mediocrity as a lodestone.

patriotsrule said:
He thinks very highly of him? Apparently you didn't read the book on Belichick then. He all but said the guy couldn't coach pee wee football.

I remember an interview in which Bellichick said Martz's understanding of Offenses was superb.

He did not say he was a great Head Coach though. Its the peter principle; he is very good as an OC, but is incompetent as a Head coach.

Martz's offense is a dome offense. He couldn't run the same O in Foxboro in the cold, win, rain and snow in November and December. BB always says nice things about other people. And how often have you ever heard of Martz's great halftime adjustments? I'm still waiting.

mtbykr said:
It is not going to happen--book it! I remember hearing a few weeks ago (forget the source, but it was credible) that martz said he wouldn't take a OC position--it was HC or nothing. ( i think this was around the time he was being talked about for the saints job) Even with that said I don't think BB would go for it---Martz is too much of a "me" person. I am sure BB respects what he can do for an offense---but i don't see him hiring him for the pats!
I put that in a post here back on 1/9.

I saw an interview with Martz yesterday (ESPN Outside the Lines, I think it was) and he said in no uncertain terms that he wouldn't consider anything but a head coaching job. I couldn't tell if you were serious about Martz and any possibility with the Pats, but anyway, there it is.

Of course, he has no HC offers so he may change his mind.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?p=16680#post16680

Box_O_Rocks said:
How frightening to think of Mike Martz with two SB rings? Mediocrity as a lodestone.

Classic.

I, for what it's worth, cannot see BB and Martz peacefully coexisting.
I think Martz lands...in Texas.

tdw777 said:
If BB didn't bring in a new OC from outside last year..why would he do it now???

See Romeo Crennel hiring.

The trouble with Martz is.... He sucks!

Other than that, I'm fine with it. :D

I'd like to see a real OC from the million people BB has worked with or considered over the years.

Come on. Martz would be the worst choice we could make.
His teams have led the league in turnovers since he has been HC. Do I need to say more?
There isnt a coach in the NFL that has a philosophy more different from Belichick than Martz.

Its shocking to me that there is some sort of Martz-Ram style envy on this board.
Havent we figured out yet BBs way is better?

let's wait and see

RayClay said:
See Romeo Crennel hiring.
romeo shoould be giving it serious thought.
if we never hear even one whisoper about it, then my theory would be that martz is the unyielding autocrat he's said to be, and that romeo doesn't want even martz' offensive mind around the outfit.

i remember BB's comment too. BB's already got scarnecchia as an assistant head coach. scarnecchia would be just fine as OC or DC. looks to me that BB would stay homegrown if he possibly could, but he may see that he needs another veteran mind in the coaching mix. another dilemma for the BB/SP brain trust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case