PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Martial Arts to improve NE Pass Rush

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's obvious that you don't know what the hell you're talking about in the context of this discussion. I'm just going to assume that is because you either didn't actually bother to read the thread or because you're having a comprehension issue. As I wrote before:

This isn't about a toddler trying to learn every martial arts move in history. This is about an athlete adopting a few ideas and moves of one sport into another. It happens all the time, and it doesn't take "years" to become capable of a few hand placements and blocks, for example.

Wow. I can't believe you had to break that down. Too funny.

I'll toss this in the ring just to add to the fun. In the Army we were taught hand to hand combat strike and defensive moves. I never got a belt or certificate for it so I guess that means I don't know them or something.

I have a question for the pope. If someone stays at a holiday inn express and then learns the moves does that count?

Yes the ad generators work off the page content and browsing habits, we all know that BUT...

...I'm now desperate to know what kind of ads show up on @fnordcircle's screen.
If I start seeing ads for that subject matter in my browser because you HAD to bring up fnordcircle’s habits, I’m going to be pissed as hell. ;)

Some things should be left alone.

There's so much Bulshido out there in the martial arts world and there's a ton of entertaining videos on Youtube poking fun at them. I hope this guy is legit but even if he isn’t, it probably couldn’t hurt..

He’s a member of the US National team, so it seems as though he’s legit. He’s worked with 10 NFL teams and also at Penn State.

Belichick first hired him back in 1992.

There's so much Bulshido out there in the martial arts world and there's a ton of entertaining videos on Youtube poking fun at them. I hope this guy is legit but even if he isn’t, it probably couldn’t hurt..

Why wouldn't he be legit? BB has used him before and 10 other teams have used his services as well. Do you REALLY believe that BB would go back to the well a 2nd time on a consultant if he felt that the guy wouldn't be helpful?

Lets be clear, whoever the Pats are bringing in it's not so the players actually learn martial arts. It's to improve their hands to swat off offensive lineman. Willie McGinest stresses the importance of using your hands to create separation on offensive lineman as they like to keep you as close as possible to them. Willie likes Wise Jr. and told him what he needs work on. He also thinks Rivers could make an impact as well and that's why the Pats didn't take another pass rusher in this draft. He doesn't seem to care for Clayborn as a lot of people do on this board.

NFL notes: Don't be surprised if Deatrich Wise Jr., Derek Rivers rise up for Patriots

My son.

Last edited:

Great individual breakdowns for Rivers. Good stuff. Another aspect that I think is being undervalued or looked past a bit is the winning culture that Youngstown State has had over the past 25 or so years. I think that has the potential to factor into what kind of player/person Rivers is in terms of his NFL ceiling.

They pretty much had a dynasty going there for awhile in terms of Division II championships, and have kept up their winning ways by recently going back to the title game. While it’s obviously not on par with a Division I school (or whatever the technical term is these days), the coaches, scouts, players, and fans are all used to going the extra mile in order to experience success at high levels. Former OSU champion head coach Jim Tressel is back where he started there, just in a different role. I think he’s actually university president now, but I’m sure he still gives some input here and there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News