PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Marshawn Lynch

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would LOVE to have him, and I think he would actually fit in pretty well. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it), the Hawks are gonna give him $10M a year, so we won't get a shot at him.

The fortunate part of this is the "cap hell" as previously mentioned - Lynch & Wilson combined were accounting for around $8.8M against the cap this year (and previous years) I believe, or 6% of a $140M salary cap; if they give Lynch this contract plus Wilson a top end market value QB extension, assuming cap hits around their per-year avg, you're looking at the pair consuming about $31M against the cap, maybe more. This would equate to 22% of a $140M salary cap. That's a massive jump just to retain two dudes. Say goodbye to their loaded roster.

The hits could be less of course depending on signing bonuses, etc, but still. It's gonna be a lot more money than they were paying just for these two players previously.

They said Seattle was set to make him the highest paid RB not named Adrian Peterson which I'd imagine is alot of money. He's amazing but he's got alot of mileage on him and I'd hesitate to invest too much into him beyond 1 or 2 years.

I'm interested to see how much of Seattle's team can stay together now thatn Wilson and Lynch are going to be getting monster deals.

Lynch is rumored to sign with Oakland. He actually cares more about doing charity work in Oakland than football, so I can see him signing there.

I'll take Todd Gurley and the rookie contract he comes with.

Not bothered about the ACL tear at all, the guy has everything you want from a RB and would be perfect for the offense.

I wonder - in this devalued RB market - if pick #32 is worth using on Gurley. BB is just the trend bucking type to do it. He did take Maroney in the first. Lynch 29 and costing a fortune : those are hard to overcome.

I wonder - in this devalued RB market - if pick #32 is worth using on Gurley. BB is just the trend bucking type to do it. He did take Maroney in the first. Lynch 29 and costing a fortune : those are hard to overcome.

IMO, it totally is because he's the kind of player that can be brought along slowly at the start of the season while he gets 100%, Blount can carry the load then as the season wears on a healthy Gurley running against defenses that can't sell out on the run because of Brady? Unfair.

Bucky Brooks compares him to Lynch when he was coming out of Cal - big, strong, fast and good hands. So pretty appropriate to bring up in this thread.

Marshawn would be great for this offense but 2 reasons this isn't happening

1) He's looking to get paid
2) He already has a championship and almost won another. He has little incentive to lower his contract demands, especially for a team thats across the country.

Lynch will be too expensive and not worth it in my opinion. We have other priorities to sign/resign

As much as I love Lynch, if Seattle's willing to throw the reported amount of money at him, then there's no way we should even consider matching that. Instead, we should just watch with happiness as they're forced to let half their team walk, while the Pats hopefully hold strong.

This is just some guessing, but it is possible that there could be a RB carousel. For example, Demarco Murray could go to Seattle, Peterson to Dallas, Lynch to Arizona. Even though Lynch is 'important' to Seattle, I think they are fed up with him (holding out at camp for more money this year). Plus Seattle did 'give' away Percy Harvin because of attitude problems.

My suspicion is that Fitzgerald is expendable, and that AZ really needs a RB. Fitzgerald really needs to take a massive pay cut, but he may want to test the market. They have a poor tract history of drafting RB's, and have had some success with older backs (Edrin James, Emmtt Smith) and will likely pay to get one. The guys here in AZ really like Lynch.

If Amendola does not restructure, and Fitzgerald is released, it certainly would be an upgrade, but probably at twice the cost. Amendola has performed when targeted. At the same time, if Fitz wants a chance at a ring, a place like NE could be his best chance. I know Darnell Docket was unhappy when Danzby left for money, but he is coming off ACL surgery, and the Cardinals will want him to restructure at a discount. He could be a great risk-reward guy for the DL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back