PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Maroney is not the back many thought he would be

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree buffalo_jill. Don't worry, pats homers would still be defending Drew Bledsoe's pathetic play if he never got hurt.

Sure, 'cause Bledsoe was never a good QB in this league and had nothing to do with the Patriots' ressurection that culminated in the dynasty they're running now.

Seriously, shut up.

but me. i was the lone voice on this board last season saying he's not a true #1 back, and he's not. what he is, is a backup back to occasionally spot the real starter, and also return some kicks. he doesn't have power to get through the line, and he doesn't have lateral speed to get outside the tackle. stop pretending he's something he isn't, it only hurts the team. this franchise did not become great holding false assumptions, like bledsoe should start over brady. just like last off season we went out and got real WRs, we need to do some thing this off season to get a real starting RB.

anyone know who the promising draft or free agents are?

Well, since you obviously have the answers on the Maroney problem, we thought (with good reason) that you'd also have the answer to the draft/FA question.

As for the very first statement in your rather absurd post, since your join date was February 2007, can you tell us exactly at what point your professed "lone voice" was exercised on the board, and what was your posting name at the time? Maybe you could even point out the particular thread(s) where you did this?

We're all waiting with baited breath....

but me. i was the lone voice on this board last season saying he's not a true #1 back, and he's not. what he is, is a backup back to occasionally spot the real starter, and also return some kicks. he doesn't have power to get through the line, and he doesn't have lateral speed to get outside the tackle. stop pretending he's something he isn't, it only hurts the team. this franchise did not become great holding false assumptions, like bledsoe should start over brady. just like last off season we went out and got real WRs, we need to do some thing this off season to get a real starting RB.

The man is averaging over 4 yards per carry.

So what were you expecting, OJ Simpson? This is a ridiculous post.

Last edited:
Based on what? If there is a RB that is too good to pass up in the draft, than why wouldn't they draft him? There is nobody on this team that is guaranteed to start unless it is Tom Brady. Glass is by no means a LOCK to be the featured back on this team next year.

Still screaming from the tallest mountain for the guy with the chicken legs I see. Keep screaming. Hopefully the Cowboys will hear ya.

Sure, 'cause Bledsoe was never a good QB in this league and had nothing to do with the Patriots' ressurection that culminated in the dynasty they're running now.

Seriously, shut up.

Well, it depends how you define "good". If "good" is putting up meaningless big "stats", than I guess he was "good". However, all my eyes saw was a guy that got way too much HYPE, was tremendously overrated by fans of this team, and a guy that consistently laid eggs in the big games. It's funny how pats homers are quick to dismiss Manning when compared to Brady because of his big game failures, yet they conveniently forget or choose not to acknowledge the consistently bad performances by good ol' Drew in playoff games and big regular season games when he was the Pats QB. Talk about hypocrisy. Drew was NEVER willing to put in the extra work needed to become great or to improve his one trick pony game, yet I am suppossed to THANK HIM for saving football in Foxboro? Puhleaze. The guy was one of the most overpaid and overrated QB's in NFL history.

You weren't the lone voice saying anything, and your attempt to pump yourself up is both funny and sad. And please, can we go just ONE day without yet another new thread about Maroney being a disappointment?

you're wrong, and im glad bb has shown a short tolerance for underperformers (i.e. bledsoe, milloy, dillon, etc.) question now, who do we get in draft or fa?

He kept Dillon around for 3 years, until he ASKED to be released. When you're stupid, it's not a good idea to start threads about how smart you are. You deserve all of the bashing that you get for this.

BTW, for all those that keep repeating that a first year starting first round RB should be like LdT last year or Eric ****erson in his prime, please review the 2006 draft.

Round One
1. Houston - Mario Williams, DE North Carolina State
2. New Orleans - Reggie Bush, RB USC
3. Tennessee - Vince Young, QB Texas
4. N.Y. Jets - D'Brickashaw Ferguson, OT Virginia
5. Green Bay - A.J. Hawk, LB Ohio State
6. San Francisco - Vernon Davis, TE Maryland
7. Oakland - Michael Huff, DB Texas
8. Buffalo - Donte Whitner, S Ohio State
9. Detroit - Ernie Sims, LB Florida State
10. Arizona - Matt Leinart, QB USC
11. Denver (from St. Louis) - Jay Cutler, QB Vanderbilt
12. Baltimore (from Cleveland) - Haloti Ngata, DT Oregon
13. Cleveland (from Baltimore) - Kamerion Wimbley, DE/OLB Florida State
14. Philadelphia - Broderick Bunkley, DT Florida State
15. St. Louis (from Atlanta through Denver) - Tye Hill, Cb Clemson
16. Miami - Jason Allen, DB Tennessee
17. Minnesota - Chad Greenway, LB Iowa
18. Dallas - Bobby Carpenter, LB Ohio State
19. San Diego - Antonio Cromartie, CB Florida State
20. Kansas City - Tamba Hali, DE Penn State
21. New England - Laurence Maroney, RB Minnesota
22. San Francisco (from Washington through Denver) - Manny Lawson, DE/OLB North Carolina State
23. Tampa Bay - Davin Joseph, G Oklahoma
24. Cincinnati - Johnathan Joseph, CB South Carolina
25. Pittsburgh (from N.Y. Giants) - Santonio Holmes, WR Ohio State
26. Buffalo (from Chicago) - John McCargo, DT North Carolina State
27. Carolina - DeAngelo Williams, RB Memphis
28. Jacksonville - Marcedes Lewis, TE UCLA
29. NY Jets (from Denver through Atlanta) - Nick Mangold, C Ohio State
30. Indianapolis - Joseph Addai, RB LSU
31. Seattle - Kelly Jennings, CB Miami (FL)
32. N.Y. Giants (from Pittsburgh) - Mathias Kiwanuka, DE Boston College

Round Two
1. (33) Houston - DeMeco Ryans, LB Alabama
2. (34) Cleveland (from New Orleans) - D'Qwell Jackson, LB Maryland
3. (35) Washington (from New York Jets) - Rocky McIntosh, LB Miami (FL)
4. (36) New England (from Green Bay) - Chad Jackson, WR Florida
5. (37) Atlanta (from San Francisco through Denver through Green Bay) - Jimmy Williams, CB Virginia Tech
6. (38) Oakland - Thomas Howard, OLB UTEP
7. (39) Philadelphia (from Tennessee) - Winston Justice, OT USC
8. (40) Detroit - Daniel Bullocks, S Nebraska
9. (41) Arizona - Deuce Lutui, OG USC
10. (42) Chicago (from Buffalo) - Danieal Manning, DB Abilene Christian
11. (43) New Orleans (from Cleveland) - Roman Harper, S Alabama
12. (44) N.Y. Giants (from Baltimore) - Sinorice Moss, WR Miami (FL)
13. (45) Tennessee (from Philadelphia) - LenDale White, RB USC
14. (46) St. Louis - Joe Klopfenstein, TE Colorado
15. (47) Green Bay (from Atlanta)- Daryn Colledge, OT Boise State
16. (48) Minnesota - Cedric Griffin, CB Texas
17. (49) N.Y. Jets (from Dallas) - Kellen Clemens, QB Oregon
18. (50) San Diego - Marcus McNeil, OT Auburn
19. (51) Minnesota (from Miami) - Ryan Cook, C New Mexico
20. (52) Green Bay (from New England) - Greg Jenning, WR Western Michigan
21. (53) Dallas (from Washington through NY Jets) - Anthony Fasano, TE Notre Dame
22. (54) Kansas City - Bernard Pollard, S Purdue
23. (55) Cincinnati - Andrew Whitworth, OT LSU
24. (56) Baltimore (from N.Y. Giants)- Chris Chester, C/G Oklahoma
25. (57) Chicago - Devin Hester, WR/KR Miami (FL)
26. (58) Carolina - Richard Marshall, CB Fresno State
27. (59) Tampa Bay - Jeremy Trueblood, OT Boston College
28. (60) Jacksonville - Maurice Drew, RB UCLA
29. (61) Denver - Tony Scheffler, TE Western Michigan
30. (62) Indianapolis - Tim Jennings, CB Georgia
31. (63) Seattle - Darryl Tapp, DE Virginia Tech
32. (64) Minnesota (from Pittsburgh) - Tarvarius Jackson, QB Alabama State

I have marked the players where a debate over whether they are better at their positions than Maroney is his is legitimate. 17 out of 63 are red. In other words, Maroney is without a doubt better than 46 of the guys in his class' first two round. Then add in the fact that 8 of those guys were long gone before NE picked and some of the other guys either didn't fit the system or played a position that NE didn't need, and it is obvious that Maroney was a perfectly fine first round pick.

What stirs this debate is that two other RBs picked in these rounds have legitmate cases to be considered Laurence's superior. But that doesn't change the fact that Maroney is a fine back and was certainly worthy of his selection - even if both Addai and MJD prove to be better.

The fact remains that thru 20 career games, Glass has a whopping total of 13 career 1st down runs, a long gain of only 31, a pedestrian 6 TD's, 24 receptions, 231 yards receiving, and 1184 yards rushing on 264 carries. If that's a player you guys are happy with, than god bless ya. I, for one, am simply not that impressed and frankly want this team to look hard and long at drafting another RB in the 1st Rd to add another dimension to this team that we simply do NOT have............a back capable of TAKING OVER A GAME and being a DIFFERENCE MAKER!

Last edited:
what a bunch of crybays. if every player on the team is not the best ever at their position then they are a dissapointment. Last year people were crying about bradys play. are you the same ones who said matt should be the starting qb after the pats lost to the jets last year? how smart would that have been? it is always something with you people.

BTW, for all those that keep repeating that a first year starting first round RB should be like LdT last year or Eric ****erson in his prime, please review the 2006 draft.

I have marked the players where a debate over whether they are better at their positions than Maroney is his is legitimate. 17 out of 63 are red. In other words, Maroney is without a doubt better than 46 of the guys in his class' first two round. Then add in the fact that 8 of those guys were long gone before NE picked and some of the other guys either didn't fit the system or played a position that NE didn't need, and it is obvious that Maroney was a perfectly fine first round pick.

What stirs this debate is that two other RBs picked in these rounds have legitmate cases to be considered Laurence's superior. But that doesn't change the fact that Maroney is a fine back and was certainly worthy of his selection - even if both Addai and MJD prove to be better.

Ummmm Not to have included Devin Hester in the red is ridiculous,Devin is the most dangerous kick returner in the NFL - Bar none

The fact remains that thru 20 career games, Glass has a whopping total of 13 career 1st down runs, a long gain of only 31, a pedestrian 6 TD's, 24 receptions, 231 yards receiving, and 1184 yards rushing on 264 carries. If that's a player you guys are happy with, than god bless ya. I, for one, am simply not that impressed and frankly want this team to look hard and long at drafting another RB in the 1st Rd to add another dimension to this team that we simply do NOT have............a back capable of TAKING OVER A GAME and being a DIFFERENCE MAKER!

Dude, just change your screen name to, "I love Chicken Legged RBs" already. And then dig deep into your pocket, pay that ridiculous salary those bones will demand, and line up that 7th screen name because after that guy gets hurt in training camp, we'll never hear from you again.

Skinny-legged college RBs putting up #s = Mediocre NFL WRs. Spread the word.

Ummmm Not to have included Devin Hester in the red is ridiculous,Devin is the most dangerous kick returner in the NFL - Bar none

Most dangerous PUNT returner. Maroney is a better kick returner.

And Hester does virtually nothing else.

It really is no contest at this point.

I dont get it. Maroney is averaging 4.5 yards a rush in his first 20 NFL games. How is that a bad thing?
This year, playing in the most prolific offense ever, he has averaged 69.5 yards per game he has played this year, which includes partial games. That works out to 1112 over a full season.

How in the world is that bad for a players first 1 1/2 years?
How in the world can anyone say, given:
1) As a rookie there was an established starter he split time with
2) In year 2 he is the starter, and other than missing a couple of games is running at an 1100 per full season clip

that he has PROVEN HE CAN NEVER BE A #1 BACK.

I guess he should just retire now and call 20 games a career and the best he could ever do, huh?

I dont get it. Maroney is averaging 4.5 yards a rush in his first 20 NFL games. How is that a bad thing?
This year, playing in the most prolific offense ever, he has averaged 69.5 yards per game he has played this year, which includes partial games. That works out to 1112 over a full season.

How in the world is that bad for a players first 1 1/2 years?
How in the world can anyone say, given:
1) As a rookie there was an established starter he split time with
2) In year 2 he is the starter, and other than missing a couple of games is running at an 1100 per full season clip

that he has PROVEN HE CAN NEVER BE A #1 BACK.

I guess he should just retire now and call 20 games a career and the best he could ever do, huh?

I agree with you. I like Maroney. He has good stats and helps the team win. I DO wish that Sammy was OK -- they made a good one/two punch- --but, it is what it is.
The Pats have what ...12 more pass plays than running plays? IIRC.
Maroney must be doing something right.

Most dangerous PUNT returner. Maroney is a better kick returner.

And Hester does virtually nothing else.

It really is no contest at this point.

I beg to differ. Hester is a better kick returner, and is a maven in coverage on special teams. He also makes a pretty good option on offense (where he has more TDs this year than Maroney). I'd say he's been at least as valuable to the Bears as Maroney has been to the Patriots. And I like Maroney.

Last edited:

Maroney has run for 66 1st downs with a long of 41 yards. Among lead backs this season, he is behind only Ronnie Brown and Brandon Jacobs in 1st down %, which for a dimwit like you, means "percentage of his carries that gain a 1st down". So looking at your "facts", as you call them, one must conclude you are either a liar or misinformed. Or both.

you idiot, the question is whether or not he's a real #1 back and the future RB of this team for years to come. NOT whether he's more or less a bust than D'brickashaw Ferguson, or who ever.

you idiot, the question is whether or not he's a real #1 back and the future RB of this team for years to come.

...and you think that question has been answered?

Give me a frigging break.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes