PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Maroney gets diapers at his locker [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Logan Mankins is the best guard in the NFL.

I'm not sure that Mankins is the best guard in the AFC yet. Never mind the entire NFL. But he's close.

However, he's not to the John Hannah or Orlando Pace level.

Didn't someone put Secret brand deoderant in Harrison's locker earlier in the year so that it would be visible when he was interviewed? Could this be just a similar practical joke without a greater meaning?

Maroney's stastical trends on a game by game basis in 2007
http://www.nfl.com/players/laurencemaroney/gamelogs?id=MAR273311

First 3 Games:

1. 72yds 3.6 ypc
2. 77yds 5.1 ypc
3. 103yds 5.4 ypc

Last 5 Games:
7 31 yards 5.2 ypc
8 75 yards 5.4 ypc
9 59 yards 3.9 ypc
11 19 yards 3.2 ypc
12 31 yards 3.1 ypc

After examining Maroney's game by game log, it becomes evident that his downward trend started as early as game 7 of the season.
Maroney failed to break the 70 yard plateau in 4 of his last 5 games.
And the excuses have already been prepared aforehand for Maroney's next games vs the Ravens and then vs the Steelers.

Over the past 5 games Maroney has averaged 44.6 yards per game. From a statistical standpoint, this is a disturbing downward trend.
I am hoping that the Patriots can revive their running game along with Maroney against the Ravens next week. A one dimensional offense is just asking for trouble.
There is one thing Maroney can do that will easily make the criticism go away, PRODUCE.

Last edited:
The question is, are they game planning away from Maroney? That's more along the lines of what I'm trying to get at. Part of game planning is using your strengths. Yes, we have phenomenal wideouts and the best QB in the game. That said, it pays off to have a solid rushing game. When Peyton Manning had his career year, that didn't mean that they stopped using Edge. In fact, he had a great year as well.

Excellent? Huh? I saw a guy get 60 yards, no touchdowns, and a YPC of less than 4. He wasn't bad, but he was exactly what I've been trying to say: average.

Understand, I'm not saying BENCH MARONEY! I'm saying that he's not the long term answer. He's not going to be the guy that we hoped, I'm pretty sure of that at this point. I think he'll help us win a super bowl, but if we're looking to improve, it's worth taking a look at RBs in this year's draft.

I do hear you though, if he bulks up and gets his act together he could be a force, which is what I thought he'd be this year. I'm totally rooting for him, I love the kid. I'm just a little disappointed so far.

NE's passing offense is playing at a level that some have called the best the NFL has ever seen. I just don't know how anyone could call leaning on that "gameplanning away from Maroney". Maroney is not Edge of 2004, but if you recall, Edge historically had major issues with short yardage as well. Frankly, if Maroney can get his blocking and receiving just a little higher, I can him being just that type of player. Maroney has already faced more run blitzes this year than Edge faced from 2003-2005 combined. That distinction has to be made.

And Maroney most certainly ran better than the numbers would have you believe. I charted all of his runs against Buffalo and he got all the yardage that anyone could get except for one run.

First 3 Games:

1. 72yds 3.6 ypc
2. 77yds 5.1 ypc
3. 103yds 5.4 ypc

Last 5 Games:
7 31 yards 5.2 ypc
8 75 yards 5.4 ypc
9 59 yards 3.9 ypc
11 19 yards 3.2 ypc
12 31 yards 3.1 ypc

After examining Maroney's game by game log, it becomes evident that his downward trend started as early as game 7 of the season.
And the excuses have already been prepared aforehand for Maroney's next games vs the Ravens and then vs the Steelers.

Over the past 5 games Maroney has averaged 44.6 yards per game. From a statistical standpoint, this is a disturbing downward trend.
I am hoping that the Patriots can revive their running game along with Maroney against the Ravens next week. A one dimensional offense is just asking for trouble.
There is one thing Maroney can do that will easily make the criticism go away, PRODUCE.

:rolleyes:

Further proof that you either cannot or will not discuss anything rationally. Hello ignore.

:rolleyes:

Further proof that you either cannot or will not discuss anything rationally. Hello ignore.

You make the mistake of thinking that I would care. When the statistical analysis is put forth you choose to cover your eyes. That's fine. I happen to like looking at the bare facts.

I was initially alarmed at Maroney's MIA act over the past couple of weeks, but when I looked at the numbers it became apparent that his production had already started declining ever since week 7. I'm sure BB and his staff have access to the same numbers. Might THIS have something to do with the gameplan they chose against Philly? I can't say for sure, but Maroney's numbers ever since week 7 has shown a trend towards declining production.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda. Cold, Hard Football Facts. Those facts lay out a running back that is AVERAGE. If the offense is predictable when Maroney is in there, than who's fault is that? Surely it can't be the Glass one because of his poor receiving skills and his poor pass blocking, right? Puhleaze. He is the main reason why it is predictable because he sucks as a pass receiver and is average, at best, as a blocker. He is so average in every way that is just downright embarassing to read the excuses the Maroney fan club comes up with to excuse his ineffectiveness. The guy is M-E-D-I-O-C-R-E. It's alright fellas. We'll have a new RB after next year's draft. :D

NE's passing offense is playing at a level that some have called the best the NFL has ever seen. I just don't know how anyone could call leaning on that "gameplanning away from Maroney". Maroney is not Edge of 2004, but if you recall, Edge historically had major issues with short yardage as well. Frankly, if Maroney can get his blocking and receiving just a little higher, I can him being just that type of player. Maroney has already faced more run blitzes this year than Edge faced from 2003-2005 combined. That distinction has to be made.

I think there's a balance. I'm not saying he should get 25 carries a game with that passing game, but 9?? That does say to me that there's a little "avoid Maroney" going on. It's not all "use Brady."

The proof is going to be in the pudding at this point. Philadelphia showed that our passing game can be relatively contained. They shut down Moss, pressured Brady, and made plays. If Brady wasn't the inhuman poltergeist that he is, the Pats would have lost that game. I think a strong case can be made now that a dependable, effective running game is as important as ever. The next team that sends six every play and mugs Moss is going to have pay. Maroney's role from here on out is going to say a lot about how the coaches view him. After Sunday, you can't say "well the passing game is enough, that's why Maroney is so limited." Sure, it'll vary from team to team depending on their defensive scheme and personnel, but when we play good pass coverage teams, we're going to need Maroney to step up and really produce consistently. If AJ Feely doesn't make that bonehead throw, I think the Eagles win. Or, at least, Brady and some insane 2 minute drill win it instead of Asante.

And Maroney most certainly ran better than the numbers would have you believe. I charted all of his runs against Buffalo and he got all the yardage that anyone could get except for one run.

That's a tough standard to use. Who knows what's "all one can get?" When you pay a RB 1st round money, you're expecting broken tackles, spin moves, plays where you take "all you can get" and get 4 more yards on top of that. It's not a good evaluating bar to set. I expect more.

Last edited:
Let's go ahead and explode the MYTH that a great passing game necessarily means a poor running game right now.
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/

In 2004 Peyton Manning threw for a record 49 touchdowns.
How did his teammate Edgerrin James fare?
1,548 yards 4.6 YPC and 9 TDs

In 1999 Kurt Warner led the "Greatest Show on Turf" with 41 TD passes.
How did his teammate Marshall Faulk do?
1,381 yards rushing 5.5 ypc and 7 TDs.

In 1984 Dan Marino set the passing yardage record with 5,048 passing yards.
How did his teammates do?
1,918 yards total rushing and 18 rushing TDs

The only thing a great passing offense might take away from is the number of rushing TDs. Historically it has done nothing to limit the production of the team's running game in terms of total yardage and even average per carry.

Last edited:
Let's go ahead and explode the MYTH that a great passing game necessarily means a poor running game right now.

The only thing a great passing offense might take away from is the number of rushing TDs. Historically it has done nothing to limit the production of the team's running game in terms of total yardage and even average per carry.

Bingo. You can't argue this. If Corey Dillon of 2004 was on this team he'd be knocking on 1000 yards by now, at least.

Bingo. You can't argue this. If Corey Dillon of 2004 was on this team he'd be knocking on 1000 yards by now, at least.

Exactly. That's what the Maroney fan club doesn't want to admit. Put any true, bonafide, without a doubt STUD running back on this team and he is going to get at least 1200 yards. I mean, are you kidding me? Does anyone honestly think that the running back on this offense doesn't have more running room than Larry Johnson, Stephen Jackson, or LT have running behind the likes of Brodie Croyle, Marc Bulger, and Phillip Rivers? Defensive coordinators go into games against those teams designing a defense to SHUT DOWN those guys and they still get big time numbers, break tackles, and take it to the house. Defensive coordinators sit their safeties back deep against our offense and we never see 8 in the box on 1st and 2nd downs, yet Maroney still can't bust a long run. He is what he is. A nice, limited, serviceable back. He will never be the dual threat in the running and passing game like LT, Stephen Jackson, Marshall Faulk, or Tiki Barber are and/or were and his running style simply does not translate into the DOMINANT between the tackles running back that LJ is and Corey Dillon was.

Last edited:
One more thing. The people saying Maroney would be putting up those numbers don't get the point. He doesn't get those carries because the coaches don't feel he can handle the load without A) getting injured or B)getting shut down. It's like these baseball fans who feel that the part-time outfielder who hits a HR every 15 at bats and hits .300 in just 250 at bats needs to be given 600 at bats a year because they think it will translate into MVP numbers. Then, when some stupid general manager from another team signs the guy and he gets his BIG BREAK, he turns into a DUD because he can't handle the load. It's the same reason why AJ Feeley is the PERFECT backup QB who can keep a team together for 4-6 games, but fails miserably as a starter because he can't handle the load over the course of a full season without defenses exposing him as time goes on and his tendencies and weaknesses are discovered. Maroney doesn't get the ball more because he is not an IMPACT PLAYER. Period.

Last edited:
It's like these baseball fans who feel that the part-time outfielder who hits a HR every 15 at bats and hits .300 in just 250 at bats needs to be given 600 at bats a year because they think it will translate into MVP numbers. Then, when some stupid general manager from another team signs the guy and he gets his BIG BREAK, he turns into a DUD because he can't handle the load.

I'm glad you weren't the Red Sox GM when they signed David Ortiz :bricks:

This one has Vrabel written all over it...he loves gags...especially when they sting a little.

Breaking news the diapers fell out of Maroneys locker and broke his foot.

First 3 Games:

1. 72yds 3.6 ypc
2. 77yds 5.1 ypc
3. 103yds 5.4 ypc

Last 5 Games:
7 31 yards 5.2 ypc
8 75 yards 5.4 ypc
9 59 yards 3.9 ypc
11 19 yards 3.2 ypc
12 31 yards 3.1 ypc

Listen, just stop with your myopic views of the stats. You can make stats say anything.

The FACT remains that Maroney wasn't in the game plan because the Pats didn't feel that RUNNING the ball was the best way to exploit the opponents defenses. That is NOT a slam against Maroney. That is SMART football. You can sit there and say whatever the hell you want, but your being disingenuous on a constant level here and its ridiculous.

You don't want to listen to LOGIC, fine. Don't. Be like NSA and Danny88. I don't care. People will believe you to be stupid and an idiot and won't take you seriously.

and in related news, Laurence Maroney is petitioning the league's competition committee to force the Patriots to call more running plays

:bricks:

You make the mistake of thinking that I would care. When the statistical analysis is put forth you choose to cover your eyes. That's fine. I happen to like looking at the bare facts.

I was initially alarmed at Maroney's MIA act over the past couple of weeks, but when I looked at the numbers it became apparent that his production had already started declining ever since week 7. I'm sure BB and his staff have access to the same numbers. Might THIS have something to do with the gameplan they chose against Philly? I can't say for sure, but Maroney's numbers ever since week 7 has shown a trend towards declining production.

You didn't do a statistical analysis. You did an analysis of the statistics. There is a difference. You also chose to see ONLY what you want to see.

You are as ridiculous as NSA. You just delude yourself into thinking you understand the statistics.

You fault Maroney because the teams we faced were poorer against the Pass than the run. The FACT that Philly's pass defense is below average compared to their run defense is why the Pats chose to run the ball. NOT how Maroney was playing.

But, you go ahead and delude yourself all you want. Its clear that you refuse to listen to reason.

Its clear that you refuse to listen to reason.

I didn't make up the numbers. They are easily verifiable on NFL.com. But I'm sure NFL.com is being "unreasonable" with all those cold, hard facts and numbers.

A few issues this this. First and Foremost, James was not in his 2nd year and coming off shoulder surgery. James was a 6th year player. Also, James was more of an all-purpose back than Maroney. And James didn't have to share carries with Morris. Nor did James miss any time. So you are comparing apples to oranges.

OH, btw, the Colts had 954 plays from scrimmage that year. The Pats have 732 plays from scrimmage so far this year. They are on pace to hit 1064 plays from scimmage. Manning had 497 passing attempts. Brady already has 400 through 11 games. Brady's on pace for 581. And 57 TDs.

Marshall Faulk was in his 6th year as a player. He also had a great offensive line that year lead by Orlando Pace. Warner had all of 499 pass attemtps that year. The Rams had 431 rushing attempts. Again, look at the difference in the number of pass attempts between the Rams and the Pats.

Because Faulk, like James, was more established, he wasn't sharing reps. Faulk also wasn't coming off shoulder surgery nor did he get injured that year. Again.. you're comparing apples to oranges.

Marino had 572 attempts.. so that seems about right. The Dolphins also had 484 rushing attempts that year. Total of 1056. Pretty close to what the Pats will put up.. Now, the difference? Marino threw 48 TDs. Brady is on pace to throw 57.

Did you stop and look at the RBs that year? How many did they use? 3 different RBs had over 100 carries. Woody Bennett (7th year) had a career year with 144 rushes. Tony Nathan (6th year) had 118 rushes. Rookie Joe Carter had 100 rushes. Their short yardage back had 68 carries and 9 TDs. It was his 9th year in the league and only one with Miami.

Joe Carter was out of the league 2 years later.

Look at the Pats RUNNING game in its entirety. The Pace they are on, they will have 17-18 TDs. They'll put up 1986 rushing yards. Hmm.. those numbers seem pretty damn close to the numbers that Miami put up.. Hmm.. Imagine that.

Lets not since now you are putting words into people's mouths and being TOTALLY friggin ignorant about it. NO ONE said anything remotely close to your implication that an Awesome passing game means a poor running game. That is a blatant LIE on your part.

What people have said is that the expectation for Maroney to get major carries despite the game plan is what is flawed. And its not an indication of the Pats not believing in him. I fully believe that the Pats will use Maroney extensively against the Phins, Jets, and Giants. He'll probably also get 10-15 reps against the Ravens and Steelers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes