PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mark Daniels: Gronk, Solder, and Jonathan Cooper are not on flight to AZ

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not the same at all. Patriots were the most decimated team last year. They were absolutely ravaged by injury. They were by far the best team in the league, but couldn't realize their potential due to circumstances beyond their control. The same cannot be said for Arizona.

Sorry, but the Ravens had it worse

Wrong. I live here. When the Cards lose, they lose. They have a proclivity to lose at moments notice. I don't know what it is. Mental. Arrogance. I don't know. It's something and people around here have had enough of it I can tell you. The NFCCG only hammered that point further home.

So no, they are nothing like the Pats.

Viper, you going to the game? Ever go to Tosos or anything?

Aside from the Patriots, name the SB winning teams built around the (small) possession receivers and TEs since 2000.

Great proposition. I'd argue the 2000 Ravens, the 2001 Rams, the 2006 and 2009 Steelers, the 2012 Giants, the 2014 Seahawks. Add in four Patriots SBs and you've got ten teams that I'd argue were possession receiver teams.

A lot of 6'0" or under receivers led the way on these teams. So we might have to decide on what you mean when you say "(small)." Do Marvin Harrison, Hines Ward, Mario Manningham, Victor Cruz, Hakeem Nicks, Reggie Wayne, Tory Holt, Isaac Bruce, Santonio Holmes, Donald Driver, etc. count? Anquan Bolden and Torrey Smith are 6'1".

Hybrid backs (Marshall Faulk, Kevin Faulk,) who were significant receivers count for me.

Looking at all these teams, I don't see the really big wideouts winning Super Bowls. Demaryius Thomas, Keyshawn Johnson and Plaxico Burress popped up, but guys like Dez Bryant, Larry Fitzgerald, Calvin Johnson, Brandon Marshall, etc. haven't won a SB. Some got close.

The real bottom line conclusion is that these teams had great defenses. Defense wins championships. Some were breathtakingly good. (Ken will be proud that I'm consistent as a master of the obvious.)

We have a great start with four Super Bowls for the Patriots in that time span, so we're 25% of the way home, leaving us with 12 to examine. All four NEP teams had good to excellent possession receivers and tight ends.

The 2000 Ravens' leading reeceiver was TE Shannon (horseface) Sharpe with a big running game (Jamal Lewis) and a juggernaut defense.

The 2001 Rams, "the greatest show on turf" were led by our favorite whiner Marshall Faulk who was a possession receiver out of the backfield and guys like Tory Holt, Ricky Proehl, Isaac Bruce, Az-Hakim. The Rams had no tight end to speak of.

The 2002 Buccaneers' leading receiver was Keyshawn Johnson - over 1,000 yards but only caught 5 TD passes (h0-hum). That team lived off defense and turnovers.

The 2006 Steelers were a possession receiving team. Known then as a flanker, Hines Ward (69 catches) and TE Heath Miller led the team in receiving. I'd forgotten about Fast Willie Parker getting 1200+ yards on the ground and being the workhorse he was for that team.

The 2009 Steelers were even more of a possession receiving team - again Ward, Miller, rb Mewelde Moor and Santonio Holmes were their top four receivers. That group looks like a Patriots-type passing game with a QB who could find the open guy.

2007 Colts - Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne led the Colts, so this was a team that relied heavily on X receivers. Manning spread it around pretty well with TEs Dallas Clark, Ben Utecht and RBs Joseph Addai and Dominick Rhodes all having more than 30 receptions. Both Harrison and Wayne are 6'o" sub-200 pound receivers.

2008 and 2012 Giants - Eli throwing to a mixed bag of receivers on both of these teams The only truly big receiver was Plaxico on the 07-08 team. the 11-12 team had three receivers 6'0 receiers leading the way - Cruz, Manningham, and Tar Heel Hakeem Nicks.

The 2010 Saints had two big receivers to go with Shockey and Reggie Bush. Was that a possession receiving team? Either argument wins this one.

The 2011 Packers were led by 4 receivers 6'0 or taller - Nelson, Driver, Jennings and James Jones. Interesting to think that Aaron Rodgers isn't a possession QB.

The 2013 Ravens were led by two 6'1 receivers - Torrey Smith and Anquan Bolden with TE Pitta and RB Ray Rice in that mix - debatable.

The 2014 Seattle Seahawks are the definition of a possession receiving team - Golden Tate, Doug Baldwin, Beast Mode, and TE Zach Miller were their top four receivers.

The 2016 SB winner Broncos relied on Demaryus Thomas at 6'3 as their main target, so that one I concede.

Last edited:
nah, what good is a stud receiver running deep routes if the QB has .02 seconds to throw?

Number one problem on this team is the offensive line, it has been for a while. Jimmy could have Jerry Rice in his prime right now and still have problems.
hmmmm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday