PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mark Cuban: Roger Goodell handled Deflategate 'masterfully'

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedSleevesPinkStripes

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score

"As an owner, it was obvious to me that it was up to Roger Goodell to take the heat and take responsibility," Cuban told reporters at TD Garden before Wednesday's game. "And he handled in masterfully. The fact that it all got reversed and all that is irrelevant. The NFL always loses their court cases the first time. Always. And then they end up winning when it doesn't matter, but you can't — I don't know if (Tom) Brady lied or not, who knows, with the whole phone thing and everything — but the reality is it's all about the good of the game and that's what Roger's responsible for and that's what the owners pay him so much money to do. And he's going to do to the best of his ability what he thinks he can, and I think that's what he did. It's not about Brady, it's not about anything else. It's, 'How do you manage the golden goose?' That's what he's trying to do. I give him credit for taking all of the bullets."​

Later in the interview, Cuban was asked if Goodell has too much power.

"No," Cuban said. "Nope. He's got 32 bosses. It's hard to have too much power when you have 32 bosses. Trust me. I mean, I don't know the NFL and I'm just guessing, but he ain't doing s--t without getting feedback from all the owners."​

What a db.

"The fact that it all got reversed and all that is irrelevant. The NFL always loses their court cases the first time. Always. And then they end up winning when it doesn't matter"​

I love this logic.. Losing in court is irrelevant but winning when it "doesn't matter" is somehow.. relevant?

I think you guys are looking at in wrong. Cuban is not speaking from the Patriots perspective he's talking from the perspective of the other 31 owners who were clearly out to screw the Pats and make them look as bad as possible. That's what Goodell did.

I think you guys are looking at in wrong. Cuban is not speaking from the Patriots perspective he's talking from the perspective of the other 31 owners who were clearly out to screw the Pats and make them look as bad as possible. That's what Goodell did.

So if 31 owners want the commissioner to screw over one team which happens to be the best team, that's what he's supposed to do? I'm pretty sure his role is almost the opposite of that.

As far as Cuban, I'm sure he is one of the many that never read the Wells report and doesn't realize what a sham it was.

Must have been said sarcastically unless he's totally out of touch with the NFL.

I don't see it.. If I were to believe all the lies about Brady and the Patriots I'd be pretty disappointed at how the NFL failed to prove it and also how they failed to make the punishment stick. Also the failure to do anything to ensure that balls are inflated to a concise range this season or make that transparent to fans.

Goodell did succeed even in failing though - he managed to tarnish the Patriots and keep the NFL in the news all summer... over nothing. In that sense, it was "masterful" even if he and his cronies looked like idiots in the process.

"As an owner, it was obvious to me that it was up to Roger Goodell to take the heat and take responsibility," Cuban told reporters at TD Garden before Wednesday's game. "And he handled in masterfully. The fact that it all got reversed and all that is irrelevant. The NFL always loses their court cases the first time. Always. And then they end up winning when it doesn't matter, but you can't — I don't know if (Tom) Brady lied or not, who knows, with the whole phone thing and everything — but the reality is it's all about the good of the game and that's what Roger's responsible for and that's what the owners pay him so much money to do. And he's going to do to the best of his ability what he thinks he can, and I think that's what he did. It's not about Brady, it's not about anything else. It's, 'How do you manage the golden goose?' That's what he's trying to do. I give him credit for taking all of the bullets."

"No," Cuban said. "Nope. He's got 32 bosses. It's hard to have too much power when you have 32 bosses. Trust me. I mean, I don't know the NFL and I'm just guessing, but he ain't doing s--t without getting feedback from all the owners."

What a db.

Pay me $40M/year with a $100M termination clause and I don't care if I have 200 "bosses." I'll still do whatever the f*ck I want.:rolleyes:

"As an owner, it was obvious to me that it was up to Roger Goodell to take the heat and take responsibility," Cuban told reporters at TD Garden before Wednesday's game. "And he handled in masterfully. The fact that it all got reversed and all that is irrelevant. The NFL always loses their court cases the first time. Always. And then they end up winning when it doesn't matter, but you can't — I don't know if (Tom) Brady lied or not, who knows, with the whole phone thing and everything — but the reality is it's all about the good of the game and that's what Roger's responsible for and that's what the owners pay him so much money to do. And he's going to do to the best of his ability what he thinks he can, and I think that's what he did. It's not about Brady, it's not about anything else. It's, 'How do you manage the golden goose?' That's what he's trying to do. I give him credit for taking all of the bullets."

"No," Cuban said. "Nope. He's got 32 bosses. It's hard to have too much power when you have 32 bosses. Trust me. I mean, I don't know the NFL and I'm just guessing, but he ain't doing s--t without getting feedback from all the owners."

What a db.

It's an interesting look into the mind of these sports franchise owners.

The "sport" is making money will denigrating into a competitive farce (like the NBA did in the 90's). Prostituting the sport while scoring "points" with the overgrown children/egomaniacs comprising the owners is considered a "masterful" job.

Take it a step further, Mark and tell it like it is . . . sports fans are true suckers for putting up with this sh*t.:mad:

Pay me $40M/year with a $100M termination clause and I don't care if I have 200 "bosses." I'll still do whatever the f*ck I want.:rolleyes:
Does he really have a 100M termination clause?? That's just disgusting... wtf are these owners thinking?

Like I've said in the past, this league does not need a commissioner anymore - they need an outside firm to handle punishments, the owners can handle TV deals (obviously) and they can bring in old NFL greats on Draft day to give out hugs. Goodell is not necessary in the slightest.

Goodell did succeed even in failing though - he managed to tarnish the Patriots and keep the NFL in the news all summer... over nothing. In that sense, it was "masterful" even if he and his cronies looked like idiots in the process.
Nobody who matters to them thinks they looked like idiots...
  • 1st and 4th round picks confiscated.
  • $1 million stolen.
  • Suspension for Brady still looming.
  • Ratings up.
It's all good for the 31, and Kraft's too worried about adding to his billions to really care either. The Patriots fans don't matter to them, especially since they responded by dumping even more money into the league coffers. The rest of the fans are happy to see us get screwed, so no losses there.

Masterful, indeed.

And he thought that Rondo would be a good fit for the Mavs...

Actually, I think it's reverse psychology. If he encourages the Poison Ginger to keep this kind of course, his prediction about the NFL comes true, and *poof* the NBA's competition just took a hit.

Maybe its because I am not a billionaire owner but I have no clue what he is talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back