PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mark Butt Fumble Sanchez retires

It wasn't so much that Brady had a bad game that Ryan unveiled a masterpiece of a defensive gameplan that effectively had Brady fooled for the most parts. A lot of the rushes and blitzes he thought was coming, never materialized.
Gronk/Hernandez weren't running their routes exactly how Brady wanted them too I think? A few miscommunication throws unless I'm remembering incorrectly.

Kind of sad, in a way. Sanchez/Ryan and Manning were the only real rivals this team has ever had.

2010 will hurt as bad as 2006 for pretty much forever. Nothing will hurt more than 2007 and then the other SB losses, but gotta give Sanchez his due - he was one of those types of QBs who would take what our defense would give him.

I thought he was taking a job as spokesman for Ballpark beef franks.

Kind of sad, in a way. Sanchez/Ryan and Manning were the only real rivals this team has ever had.

2010 will hurt as bad as 2006 for pretty much forever. Nothing will hurt more than 2007 and then the other SB losses, but gotta give Sanchez his due - he was one of those types of QBs who would take what our defense would give him.
2010 doesn't hurt at all. That 3rd down defense was trash. Offense still needed to start clicking with the new guys. I give it a pass. 2006, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2017 hurts a lot. I give 2007 a pass because I wonder if Brady would have started caring about his health as much as he does if he didn't tear his ACL in 2008. If they won they wouldn't have played KC on opening week.

After 10 very substandard and mediocre years Sanchez earned over $74 million, not bad for a low 2nd rate QB...

The Jets will continue to revel in their Supebowl III Win, "Joe" continues to celebrate..

That was an important win for me as I knew then that the AFL was real ( not some upstart league), and I switched my allegiance from the Cleveland Browns to the NEP... the rest is my sports fandom history.

After 10 very substandard and mediocre years Sanchez earned over $74 million, not bad for a low 2nd rate QB...

Hopefully he managed his money better than Adrian Peterson.

Everyone talks about Super Bowl 42. And rightfully so. But there was zero excuse for losing to this bum and that team in a home playoff game. One of the darker moments of the BB TB era. I feel rage when I think back to that game.

That was the most dominant team we ever had down the regular season stretch. I still can't believe we lost a home playoff game that year.

Everyone talks about Super Bowl 42. And rightfully so. But there was zero excuse for losing to this bum and that team in a home playoff game. One of the darker moments of the BB TB era. I feel rage when I think back to that game.
That was the first - and last - playoff party I have ever hosted at our then-new house in Hershey. I threw away my Patriots mug & SB 39 sweatshirt...while I was wearing it. Needless to say, the wife wasn't too happy seeing me talk to the guests topless.

Brady misses a WIDE-open Prisoner and instead throws an INT into a crowd...Ancient Crumbler drops a TD pass & they settle for a FG....multiple wrong-shoulder misses on 3rd down, including one that preceded the Chung Boner...

That loss was Inexcusable, a complete feckin Disgrace.

Pats would've DESTROYED Sh!tsdirt in Foxborough the following week...but they still might've lost to GB anyway, a team they barely defeated earlier that season, at home, and without Rodgers...but we should've had 5 banners hanging by then already, so my disappointment would've been temporary.

Last edited:
It wasn't so much that Brady had a bad game that Ryan unveiled a masterpiece of a defensive gameplan that effectively had Brady fooled for the most parts. A lot of the rushes and blitzes he thought was coming, never materialized.

There was also the fact that Belichick decided to sit Welker for the start of the game because of his foot reference press conference. I think that sitting Welker took the rest of the team by surprise and may have put them in the wrong frame of mind at the start. The seemed a bit flat.

How many of you can claim that another man has a tattoo of your jersey?

Mark Sanchez can!

dirty.png

I wonder how much time, Rex made the artist spend on her feet;)

2010 doesn't hurt at all. That 3rd down defense was trash. Offense still needed to start clicking with the new guys. I give it a pass. 2006, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2017 hurts a lot. I give 2007 a pass because I wonder if Brady would have started caring about his health as much as he does if he didn't tear his ACL in 2008. If they won they wouldn't have played KC on opening week.

I heard people talking about the 'what-if' 2006 Chargers beat the Pats and the dominoes that would have played out......I think the Pats would have still loaded up the same way they did after losing to the Colts, but everything probably changes if Chargers win that game......the Colts would have likely lost at SD because SD had the Colts number in that day......the Chargers go on and prob beat the Bears, but the Colts and a ringless Manning and Dungy.......that team likely self destructs or Manning decides he wants out much sooner.

That was the most dominant team we ever had down the regular season stretch. I still can't believe we lost a home playoff game that year.

I agree. Should have been a ring year.

Eh, the 2010 divisional game stinks, but since then we won 3 Super Bowls and Rex and Sanchez became the butt of all jokes.

But man did Sanchez suck. NYJ could have won a Super Bowl in 09 or 10 with a half way decent QB.

Last edited:
This thread got depressing quickly.

There may never be another below average jets QB that has provided so much entertainment to so many with one typical jets play!

But there is good news for Sanchez. He is not the worst qb the jets have ever had play for the jets! Hopefully he wears the t shirt he had made, saying just that, proudly while calling college football games this fall.

I remember an outstanding breakdown of this game by @PP2 . He predicted the Patriots would get better, as their young core was just beat by a much more experienced (salary cap all-in for two years) Jets squad. He pointed out that these young Patriots would develop their “bags of tricks” and would go on to be successful whereas the Jete had peaked and their desperate window was closing. It was a great post and gave great examples, not just homer frustration.

Was he right?

Since that game, 8 straight divisional round wins following the bye, eight straight conference championships, five SB appearances, and three rings for the Pats.

Jete have not won a playoff game, or even make the playoffs, since then.

I’d say it all worked out just fine and was a learning experience they needed. That team was really young and made some big game mental errors in addition to Brady being perplexed.

First game I saw in person in the Brady era was the 45-3 mnf obliteration of the sanchize. Thanks for the memories.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back