PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Manning may have got into BB's head

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcus

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Respect and to some extent intimidation for and by Peyton Manning.

I think this time Peyton may have got a little bit into BB's head.

Example 1- going for the first down on fourth and 3 in the first quarter. Turned out OK, but made no sense against any other opponent except Indy.
Unless BB does not trust Gostowski

When the Pats got down by 7, BB may have believed if they got down by 14 in the second half that they would not be able to come back.
When it comes down to the real nitty gritty, BB didn't trust the run as much as the pass....in a come from behind situation.

The peyton manning factor also seems to have come into play when the Colts played the Jets earlier this year. Mangini went for a touchdown on 4th down and 2 when he could have taken the FG.

Give Manning credit...he forces coaches to play in an unorthodox manner and forces decisions that they usually do not make.

Completely false. Belichick has gone for it on 4th down against several opponents in the past few years. It shows confidence in his offense.

No way! There's just no room in there for Manning!

I think it was more lack of confidence on the kicker. Althought he kicker later kicked a 49 yard field goal. But yes Belichick did this last year when they played the colts and he did it the year before when they played the colts in the playoffs. I think it was more confidence in what he saw the defense was giving. And I don't think you can include Mangini's decisions with Belichick's decisions. The two are separate. Until someone can play press coverage on those two receivers I think Manning will have easy pickings, although the second half the defense slowed them down.

The Pats honestly needed drives similar to the playoffs of 2004 when clock killin Corey Dillon was annointed. If they had sustained drives with scores they had multipple opportunities to take the lead in this game.

We need to look at the positives. With 5 turnovers the Pats were only down 7 points with a chance to win. If the Pats ahve to play Indy in a dome, let's look at how they operated in the Minnesota game, although it will be different personnel Minn vs Indy. They have 8 weeks to get better and secure that second seed which will be huge for brackets and one less game to play.

Last edited:
sucks11.jpg

I hate to say it but I agree a little. Maybe Belichick's head, maybe Brady's but I think there's too much pressure to score every drive. Whether it's going on 4th, passing too much, whatever. We can stop the Colts sometimes and do. We need to play our game and not feel like every drive has to be a TD.

I hate to say it but I agree a little. Maybe Belichick's head, maybe Brady's but I think there's too much pressure to score every drive. Whether it's going on 4th, passing too much, whatever. We can stop the Colts sometimes and do. We need to play our game and not feel like every drive has to be a TD.

Just out of curiosity, does anybody know anything about 'Marcus'?

Is he a troll, or just having a knee jerk theory based on the poor execution of our team?

He seems to follow the particulars of Manning quite closely. :rolleyes:

5 Rings for Brady!! said:
Just out of curiosity, does anybody know anything about 'Marcus'?

Is he a troll, or just having a knee jerk theory based on the poor execution of our team?

He seems to follow the particulars of Manning quite closely. :rolleyes:

I'd say if the question can be countered on its merits, fine. What do we care if he's a Manning fan?

My own answer is that this describes BB treating Manning differently from any other QB. I think that is a correct assumption, unless we are stupid enough to think that BB plans games the same regardless of opponents' tendencies.

I don't see any evidence that Manning "got in his head," i.e., said or did things that made Belichick alter his game plan. The curious post-game statements -- such as the "obvious" nature of Pats' blitzes, or Pats' DBs intercepting him because they're in the "wrong place" -- might have been in part an attempt to do so. Well, Manning's fairly bright, but the guys that listen to him are limited to 10 guys around him on the Colts' offense on any given play, and people who buy the cell phones and credit cards he shills. He's not at the "psych out BB" level, in my book.

For another example, let's look at the Super Bowl XXXVI. BB keyed on Marshall Faulk, keyed on playing mistake free football, and keyed on gambling to make big plays. He judged that game to necessitate a gambling game plan, one he wouldn't use against other teams. Why? The talent level was disparate. Had the Pats ended up gambling on interceptions or knockdowns, and allowing an insurmountable lead as a result, the conclusion is not that Kurt Warner "Got in BB's head." It's that the game plan did not work.

But I will say that assuming the need for a prolific offense may have been influenced by the opponent the Pats were facing. The fact of Manning's talent influences the approach BB takes against Manning/Harrison/Wayne. He would probably game plan differently, for instance, against David Garrard. I don't think that's Manning getting in BB's head, I think that's reality getting in BB's head.

The Pats need to bump it up a level to be in the elite, and have 8 games to get there. That's a matter of general level of play, not some imagined chess game between a quarterback and an opposing head coach.

PFnV

marcus said:

Example 1- going for the first down on fourth and 3 in the first quarter. Turned out OK, but made no sense against any other opponent except Indy.

When the Pats got down by 7, BB may have believed if they got down by 14 in the second half that they would not be able to come back.
When it comes down to the real nitty gritty, BB didn't trust the run as much as the pass....in a come from behind situation.

The peyton manning factor also seems to have come into play when the Colts played the Jets earlier this year. Mangini went for a touchdown on 4th down and 2 when he could have taken the FG.

Give Manning credit...he forces coaches to play in an unorthodox manner and forces decisions that they usually do not make.
I wouldn't consider going for it on 4th down "unorthodox". From what i've seen, it has been going on a lot more in the last few years of football... I know you like Peyton, but don't give him all the credit for the increase in 4th down attempts.

BB went for it on 4th down last year against several different teams. So your ridiculous idea about his lack of confidence in Gost goes out the window.

You look it it *****-backwards in my opinion. Going for it on 4th down like BB does shows more confidence in the Defense than anything else.

Peyton is NOT in BBs head and BB sure as hell isn't intimidated by him.

Knock off the b.s. troll crap. You didn't do a good enough job of disguising your dogcrap post. Clean it up or get lost.

Last edited:
its just a one game loss...we are really trying to find to many threads to find the reasons for the loss..
i was watching some clips of the 2001 steelers-pats game in pitt...BB went on 4th down dont know how many times (not saying 10 -15) but more than once...
He just calls it as it happens....Dont know why we have to complicate the "We didnt play well enough to win, overall" comment to all these ideas of one person being in another person's "head" and what not...
Talking about the steelers-pats 01 game, pitt had 2:15 left in the 4th quarter with the ball with a TD needed to tie the score. and they threw a pick like brady did on Sunday night ....clear example of things going both ways in the nfl, ..I bet none of us will trade in the pitt 01 win with this sunday loss..

He definitely went for 7 due to Manning's abilities. He always does.

What hurt us was the stupid slow starting plays like reverses, screens and short passes over the middle.

When fatass Madden puts down his Turducken to ask why your not spreading the field then running up the gut, you know it's obvious bad play calling.

Last edited:
marcus said:

I give Peyton credit as much as anyone, but this thread borders on the psychotic-level ******ed. Try again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes