PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mankins Will Report By November 16th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: All this dissent is really unwarranted

This is one guy that really blew it for himself! I find it hard to believe he was following the best advice given to him from his agent or anyone for that matter and acted and made decisions completely on his own based on his own emotions!

But I will say that I will NOT jump on this bandwagon of dissent from fans just because he acted the way he did. Fact is when it comes to personality on and off the field I love everything about this guy.. He is one hell of a fighter and sticks to his own principles even though in this case they hurt him.. I have never viewed him as some prima donna.... He is just someone that has strong principles.. and fact is as much as we love the Pats.. they haven't always taken the high road or acted righteous when it comes to contracts personal. A situation that was overlooked when they were winning SB's but now the longer they go with out winning the harder it will be to get those elite veteran players who are going to come here just for a chance to win..

If he is able to swallow his own pride which at this point it looks as though he has had too and is able to work out a long term agreement with this team I would be very happy to have him back. I think he is a difference maker and raises the play of all the lineman around him.

BALLSY post, sir.

And SPOT ON, for my money. In all particulars. :cool:

Connolly should ask Mankins to carry his pads after practice

But I will say that I will NOT jump on this bandwagon of dissent from fans just because he acted the way he did. Fact is when it comes to personality on and off the field I love everything about this guy.. He is one hell of a fighter and sticks to his own principles even though in this case they hurt him.. I have never viewed him as some prima donna.... He is just someone that has strong principles.. and fact is as much as we love the Pats.. they haven't always taken the high road or acted righteous when it comes to contracts personal. A situation that was overlooked when they were winning SB's but now the longer they go with out winning the harder it will be to get those elite veteran players who are going to come here just for a chance to win..

Sorry but I don't buy it. I don't deny that he's no primma donna, but this crap about his "high principles" is starting to wear thin. Exactly WHAT is the principle he is operating under.

He claims that the Pats didn't live up to the promise to give him a long term deal during the uncapped year . Yet clearly the DID live up to that promise, proposing a deal that would make him one of the 5 highest paid OGs in the league, and they did it during the uncapped year just as they promised.

So it seems the ONLY "crime" the Pats committed was that they DIDN'T make Mankins the HIGHEST paid OG. So again, fly, what exactly IS the principle Mankins is operating under??????

Sorry but I don't buy it. I don't deny that he's no primma donna, but this crap about his "high principles" is starting to wear thin. Exactly WHAT is the principle he is operating under.

He claims that the Pats didn't live up to the promise to give him a long term deal during the uncapped year . Yet clearly the DID live up to that promise, proposing a deal that would make him one of the 5 highest paid OGs in the league, and they did it during the uncapped year just as they promised.

So it seems the ONLY "crime" the Pats committed was that they DIDN'T make Mankins the HIGHEST paid OG. So again, fly, what exactly IS the principle Mankins is operating under??????

First of all Logan Mankins is exhibit A on what's wrong with the business side of football. Yes, the pats don't want to pay him. However, they would also like their star quarterback not to get hurt either, and their running backs to find holes.

Most of the good teams in the league have some kind of serious line issue, and most of the bad teams have catastrophic issues. There simply aren't enough even acceptable linemen to go around in the NFL, and without good linemen, the NFL is a really freakin' boring game.

Logan IS one of the best and it could be argued he IS the best at his position. Add to that he is a man of few words and is the perfect patriot on and off the field…. maybe he SHOULD have been paid as the #1!

But we have NO idea what really went on behind the scenes!! So its all pure speculation on both our parts..

What we are left with are just the facts and then we can both infer what we want.

You look at the facts and say this guy turned down an acceptable offer that was made by the pats in good faith and the pats stuck to their "behind the scenes" agreement and it is Mankins that is holding out because he somehow changed his position and became greedy wanting to be paid as #1??

I say there is NO WAY that is the case. You don’t ask for the letter M to be stricken from the English language (an impossible demand) which is essentially what Logan did when he decided to hold out to be paid as a number 1 from the Pats. No one does "business" like the Pats do!

No competent agent or friend would have recommended this approach to him. So he knew full well he was NOT going to be successful in getting the contract he wanted or felt they had promised him. Therefore the ONLY conclusion is he made these decisions not for greed but for principle!

And that principle is called righteousness!
1 Morally upright; without guilt or sin: .
2. In accordance with virtue or morality.
3. Morally justifiable:

Great attributes for a player but awful for the business side of the NFL!

Last edited:
The Patriots offensive line is playing great right now, if they don't get injured, and mankins comes back, he will likely ride the bench. he certainly isn't going to unseat Dan Connolly.

The question is this, do you overpay a guard when his backup as played every bit as good as he has? i don't think you do and frankly im surprised the patriots haven't tried to deal him yet. this of course would require the cooperation of Mankins and maybe this is the issue. id imagine that Mankins trade value is worth at least a 2nd round pick to a team like Dallas or Philly..

Last edited:
As noted in the other thread on this topic:

The title here is a bit ambitious. I believe the news is: Players Association advised Mankins to report by Nov 16th. Has Mankins actually publicly responded to that report stating his intentions in the past couple hours?

He can certainly decide not to report and sit the year, on principle.
He can encourage a trade before hand.
He can bank on a new CBA that will make him a five-year free agent.

As others have noted, whether he reports or not, the Patriots still hold a franchise tag. Not going to use it on Brady. Not going to use it on Wilfork. Not going to use it on Moss. Whether he is a five-year or six-year player is irrelevant to the franchise tag decision.

First of all Logan Mankins is exhibit A on what's wrong with the business side of football. Yes, the pats don't want to pay him. However, they would also like their star quarterback not to get hurt either, and their running backs to find holes.

Most of the good teams in the league have some kind of serious line issue, and most of the bad teams have catastrophic issues. There simply aren't enough even acceptable linemen to go around in the NFL, and without good linemen, the NFL is a really freakin' boring game.

Logan IS one of the best and it could be argued he IS the best at his position. Add to that he is a man of few words and is the perfect patriot on and off the field…. maybe he SHOULD have been paid as the #1!

But we have NO idea what really went on behind the scenes!! So its all pure speculation on both our parts..

What we are left with are just the facts and then we can both infer what we want.

You look at the facts and say this guy turned down an acceptable offer that was made by the pats in good faith and the pats stuck to their "behind the scenes" agreement and it is Mankins that is holding out because he somehow changed his position and became greedy wanting to be paid as #1??

I say there is NO WAY that is the case. You don’t ask for the letter M to be stricken from the English language (an impossible demand) which is essentially what Logan did when he decided to hold out to be paid as a number 1 from the Pats. No one does "business" like the Pats do!

No competent agent or friend would have recommended this approach to him. So he knew full well he was NOT going to be successful in getting the contract he wanted or felt they had promised him. Therefore the ONLY conclusion is he made these decisions not for greed but for principle!

3. Morally justifiable:

Actually, him being the #1 OG is pushing it, I think anyways. Definitely have to go with Evans or Hutchinson as 1/2. Mankins cracks the top 5 but no way would I take him over those two. Especially considering he got his ass handed to him in the SB against the Giants. If he really was the best OG I don't think the Patriots would have a problem paying him as the best. But he clearly isn't yet for some odd freakin' reason he has it cemented in his head that he is.

Actually, him being the #1 OG is pushing it, I think anyways. Definitely have to go with Evans or Hutchinson as 1/2. Mankins cracks the top 5 but no way would I take him over those two. Especially considering he got his ass handed to him in the SB against the Giants. If he really was the best OG I don't think the Patriots would have a problem paying him as the best. But he clearly isn't yet for some odd freakin' reason he has it cemented in his head that he is.

Well chosen words, my man

Yes, the patriots can put a tag on Mankins and guarantee him more than $9M as soon as he signs. The patriots would not get a 2011 draft pick and would not have the use of the more than $9M of cap room until he signs in late August or September.

Then, as it has been since the beginning, the patriots had the ability to gte a 2010 or 2011 draft choice, or any significant draft choice, IF AND ONLY IF Mankins will cooperate in the negotiations.

If there is no cooperation, Mankins will sign and report on November 16th this year, and in late August next year if there is a franchise tag. At best, the patriots will get a 2012 choice.

The reality, as it has been since March, is that the patriots are not going to get any meaningul contribution from Mankins in 2010 or 2011. The patriots have made sure than Mankins gets no real money in 2010 at the cost of a high draft choice. And we call this "good business".

As noted in the other thread on this topic:

The title here is a bit ambitious. I believe the news is: Players Association advised Mankins to report by Nov 16th. Has Mankins actually publicly responded to that report stating his intentions in the past couple hours?

He can certainly decide not to report and sit the year, on principle.
He can encourage a trade before hand.
He can bank on a new CBA that will make him a five-year free agent.

As others have noted, whether he reports or not, the Patriots still hold a franchise tag. Not going to use it on Brady. Not going to use it on Wilfork. Not going to use it on Moss. Whether he is a five-year or six-year player is irrelevant to the franchise tag decision.

He can stay on his farm and count all the $ he hasn't spent for all I care, I personally don't even want him here, and think it's BS that he can play only 6 games and accrue a year of service, talk about crap.
Stay home Logan, noone wants you.

well.. maybe its subjective. As far as where I think he belongs.....Hutchinson's play dropped off last year and look who he has running behind him.

Jahri had a better 2009 But one season doesn’t make him a better player than Mankins. Mankins was better in 2008 and has produced more consistently over the early years of his career. The difference between the two is negligible, there’s a perfect comparison for Mankins in assessing his value.

My only point was that the dissent shown here was really unwarrented.. I think his reasons for holding out were valid and about how he felt he was being treated and not just about greed.

Last edited:
I can't remember worse decision making by a player, contract-wise, ever. I also can't remember the ******ed words to back up his position. He has not played or been paid since Lincoln was President. Great move Mankins. You showed them - NOT! Offensive line has been playing better than ever.

I don't care what he does. He's a tool!

**** him. He should stick to ****ing cows.

IMHO.

The Patriots offensive line is playing great right now, if they don't get injured, and mankins comes back, he will likely ride the bench. he certainly isn't going to unseat Dan Connolly.

The question is this, do you overpay a guard when his backup as played every bit as good as he has?i don't think you do and frankly im surprised the patriots haven't tried to deal him yet. this of course would require the cooperation of Mankins and maybe this is the issue. id imagine that Mankins trade value is worth at least a 2nd round pick to a team like Dallas or Philly..

It is a huge stretch to say that Connolly is playing as well as Mankins could be playing by December. Connolly is able to neutralize his man fairly well, which is working on pass protection but we aren't even trying many straight (no deay) runs to the left because he doesn't get a push. Mankins got a push. So there is a definite potential upgrade to having him back. And in December, it means more than in September.

You are inside information that the Patriots haven't tried to deal him? Please share.

3. Morally justifiable:

So your justification for Mankins a) publicly lying about the Patriots keeping their word about offering him a fat contract, and b) publicly trashing the organization and Bob Kraft...

...is that he's a man of principle and righteousness?

I think I might apply that word to different situations than you would.

I heard yesterday that the Lions are desperate for OL help. I think that came from Glazier at Fox Sports.

So, there is 4 more days for trading. Who would the Lions be willing to give up if they want Mankins?

Last edited:
I heard yesterday that the Lions are desperate for OL help. I think that came from Glazier at Fox Sports.

So, there is 4 more days for trading. Who would the Lions be willing to give up if they want Mankins?

The problem is that there's OL help and there's OL help. A team may need an average NFL starter OG to fill in or want a better than average OG but are they willing to spend $8M/year cap money on the OG position PLUS give away a draft pick or a starting player?

Last edited:
T-shirt for you Logan!

warning_high_maintenance_mens_dark_t_shirt-p235250227191786504qnqu_400.jpg

I think of a certain receiver, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore