PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mankins Update: agent says "deal cannot be worked out - we disagree"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bauer has no clue what a travesty is. A travesty is when a franchise pays some clown like Albert Haynesworth $40M or guarantees $40M it can't recover to an imbecile just to get it's QB into camp in his rookie season, or pays a pro bowl CB $7.8M so he can blow multiple game changing plays in the only game that most believe matters all season...

Apparently every team that ever extends a player rather than tear up his contract commits a travesty. Brady has been travestied here on three seperate occasions now, including twice after being named a SB MVP...

Tedy Bruschi told his wife after he was drafted that it was his intention to be the player who played his entire career with one team...and he did. Rodney Harrison was asked to take a $900K paycut after suffering back to back injury shortened seasons. That money was then given back to him the following season allowing him to complete the 5 year $16M deal the pundits all said he would never see the back end of here...

After his superbowl winning pro bowl season, Jahri Evans was tendered as an RFA in 2010 and his deal was an extension of that tender. He got $19M in the first two years and will see $27M in the first 3 if he's still on the roster or they haven't decided to restructure him by 2012 as they did with Reggie Bush who may be gone altogether in the final year of his rookie deal and whom NO probably wishes they had decided to move on from a year sooner... Mankins was offered a 5 year deal that reportedly included upwards of $25M in guaranteed money. The essential difference in the two deals is the younger Evans was offered 2 more years of unguaranteed money he may never see anyway at the backend of his deal similar to what Bush was restructured to midway through his rookie deal. The Patriots have tended to avoid the phony backloaded salary deals like the one Ty Law signed in Bill's tenure. As impressive as they sound, most players never see those years.

The superagent of Fresno State is pissed because Logan Mankins is his only high profile client these days and under a franchise tag Frank will only see a 1% commission as opposed to the 3% he'd be in line for on a long term deal. He's also made it increasingly unlikely the NEP will tap the Fresno State pipeline again any time soon. SD reached for another of Sun West's Fresno State clients last season and after a week long TC holdout were disappointed in the performance of LaClassian's supposed replacement.

Cousin Mo, Fabulous stuff!!
Well researched and constructed.

The major fact and concern of Mr. Bauer is that he cost his client $6m. Most he will more than likely never recover new Team or deal withstanding, unless his new deal reached goes to the six year or so. He is hoping his blustering will get Mankins to target his anger on the Patriots and not Frank Bauer. Example:

We assume Mankins was offered in the vicinity of $7m per year by the Pats. Frankie wanted $8m or his client was going to be insulted. Who should be insulted are some of the bread and butter players who are on STs or even his own back ups that will now not be afforded even the smallest increase in salary or may be CAP victims because of Mankins desire of getting paid a kings ransom.

I believe that Mankins got paid around a little less than a million to come back last year. His main reason the come back was for contract "year" eligibility and not likely to help the Pats. Let's get that straight. If he signed his new deal his salary was to be about $7m. Therefor Frank Bauer cost him $6m.

If he can get the $8m he wants from another Team for a five year contract let's say, that is $40m (I am simplifying here). If he took the Pats deal for five that I believe were the term years, that was $35 million. He is still out a million dollars. Bauer does NOT want Mankins to sign the Tender because Bauer's percentage is less. But if you do the arithmetic, the $10m Mankins get this year, it actually might serve as a entree into resolving this and the Pats can keep their contract parameters in line over the next four years, yet Bauer saves face. $10m in year one, and the rest at $7m per year equates to pretty close to Franks fantasy world $8m per. Say the Pats might have stretched to $7.5m, other than the exact guarantee number, the Pays save a little plus the obvious fact that salary levels will increase so the deal in four years might be financially attractive to the Pats in comparison.

For all of those on this forum who say "Just pay the man", why don't we talk to the families of say a McGowan or a White who, one will more than likely be cut or the other have to play ST for a living for his family and know his shelf life can end on one play. It is NOT like there is an infinite money that can be doled out on each player. A total financial limitation level is established for each team(and the CAP will be reinstated again).

Maybe the Pats put Bauer in a room with a pencil and calculator and with the whole Pats roster with each salary listed and those due for contract extensions or terminations to keep CAP and ask Frank what he thinks the Pats should do so his client can be paid the highest of any lineman in the NFL. "Frankie, who should we clear from this roster or ask to take a pay cut so your client is not offered such a travesty of a salary?"

Ah....absurdity at its' highest!
DW Toys

Last edited:
Mankins is the best guard in the league - a fact that would be true no matter what team he played on - and deserves to be paid like it.

In your opinion. Not mine by a long shot. He comes up empty in big games.
Do I want him to stay? Yes. Do I think he will play for the Pats again? No.

After I heard LaMarr Woodley had already signed his tender, and seems to be acting like a good soldier for the Steelers (as far as I know), I thought about Mankins, and his agent's antics in 2010. I almost commented on it in the Woodley thread, but decided against it. At the time I was wondering if Mankins would decide to sign his tender early this year, or again hold out, and earn a big contract while sitting on his couch for a large portion of the season. Now Mankins' agent spews forth this gem.....which I can only summarize as pathetic. These comments also point to Logan's sitting out yet again being more than likely.

I can understand Mankins wanting the security of a long term contract, but let's be honest here, with this tender comes a huge one year salary, which is more than the average NFL player makes over the course of their career. I know he's not the average NFL'er and I would like to see him retire a Patriot, but his agent's comments are uncalled for, and could potentially sour the opinions of fans toward Mankins.

Mankins had one bad game of post-season play. The SB in 2007 when the entire O-line played like garbage. What about the other 9 post-season games that Mankins has been in?????
He was exactly a block of granite against the Jests in the last playoff game or against the Ravens in last years one and done.

Last edited:
even if you could trade him (you cant because he hasent signed his tender) nobody is going to want to give you a whole hell of alot since they need to pay him what he wants as well, you would basically be trading way a 10 million dollar contract in its final year for exclusive negotiating rights, this is currently where the patriots have leverage over mankins.

however if you traded for mankins 10 million dollar tender for a high draft pick (call it a second), now he has leverage over you knowing that you gave up a high pick to acquire him, he can ask for as much money as he wants. no team is dumb enough to do this except the raiders (who have now had to pay seymour about 60 million in 4 years after giving up a first round pick).

bottom line, you gain leverage over mankins with the franchise tag but it doesnt make him a huge tradable commodity, hopefully the patriots and mankins can work out a deal, but it sounds like mankins and his agent are ready for another holdout.

He's franchised, hes not going anywhere. I'm sick of Mankins and his agent. Mankins was offered a contract that put him in the top three gaurds as far as money goes. His post season play is not worthy of being paid that kind of money imo.

That would mean that Mankins entire Tag of 10+ Mil would hit the Pats cap this season, assuming there is one.

Mankins will be dealt IMO.

That would mean that Mankins entire Tag of 10+ Mil would hit the Pats cap this season, assuming there is one.

Mankins will be dealt IMO.
I hope your right, 10 million is way to much to pay for a guard. I should have said hes not going anywhere unless they want it that way.

Last edited:
even if you could trade him (you cant because he hasent signed his tender) nobody is going to want to give you a whole hell of alot since they need to pay him what he wants as well, you would basically be trading way a 10 million dollar contract in its final year for exclusive negotiating rights, this is currently where the patriots have leverage over mankins.

however if you traded for mankins 10 million dollar tender for a high draft pick (call it a second), now he has leverage over you knowing that you gave up a high pick to acquire him, he can ask for as much money as he wants. no team is dumb enough to do this except the raiders (who have now had to pay seymour about 60 million in 4 years after giving up a first round pick).

bottom line, you gain leverage over mankins with the franchise tag but it doesnt make him a huge tradable commodity, hopefully the patriots and mankins can work out a deal, but it sounds like mankins and his agent are ready for another holdout.

The Patriots traded Branch after he had a deal in principle done with the Seahawks. That's the way most of these trades happen. The Seymour deal was different because the player was still under contract.

Mankins can shop around and find deal that he likes, then the Pats can hammer out fair compensation in terms of draft picks or players. Mankins signs the Tag and is dealt. Its been done before.

The reason why a team would be willing to negotiate with NE in lieu of waiting for Mankins to be cut is that they would have an exclusive opportunity to sign Mankins. If Mankins is just released, then youre basically competing with 30 other teams.

The franchise tag makes Mankins harder to trade, i only explained why.

The Chiefs did the patriots a huge favor by trading their second round pick for Cassel. it was clear that brady was coming back and if the chiefs did not trade for cassel the patriots would have had 10 million dollars sitting on the bench.

Mankins isnt going to take less money just so he can get away from the patriots, if there is someone out there willing to pay more, he can get it in free agency in 2012. but few teams are dumb enough to give up a high draft pick and big dollars for a single player, let alone a guard.

I dont know what is going to happen, all i know is i cant stand people saying "trade mankins for a first"! when they dont know all of the facts on tenders, contracts and trade value in relation to these things.

my best guess is that Mankins plays for 10 million and comes to camp 1 day before the first game, he hits free agency in 2012 and plays for the redskins or some other team who will pay him 14 million per year.

Mankins can shop around and find deal that he likes, then the Pats can hammer out fair compensation in terms of draft picks or players. Mankins signs the Tag and is dealt. Its been done before.

The reason why a team would be willing to negotiate with NE in lieu of waiting for Mankins to be cut is that they would have an exclusive opportunity to sign Mankins. If Mankins is just released, then youre basically competing with 30 other teams.

its been done, but what im telling you is you are looking at a 3rd or 4th round draft pick in all likelihood. the patriots have the money this year to have a 10 million dollar guard on the roster, especially since their offer to him last year was about 8 million.

it comes to a point where it might just be better for the patriots to hang onto the player, and when you are looking at 3rd and 4th round picks as compensation, i think you are pretty close to that point, considering the kind of player mankins is.

The franchise tag makes Mankins harder to trade, i only explained why.

The Chiefs did the patriots a huge favor by trading their second round pick for Cassel. it was clear that brady was coming back and if the chiefs did not trade for cassel the patriots would have had 10 million dollars sitting on the bench.

Mankins isnt going to take less money just so he can get away from the patriots, if there is someone out there willing to pay more, he can get it in free agency in 2012. but few teams are dumb enough to give up a high draft pick and big dollars for a single player, let alone a guard.

I dont know what is going to happen, all i know is i cant stand people saying "trade mankins for a first"! when they dont know all of the facts on tenders, contracts and trade value in relation to these things.

my best guess is that Mankins plays for 10 million and comes to camp 1 day before the first game, he hits free agency in 2012 and plays for the redskins or some other team who will pay him 14 million per year.

Wait a second. You're assuming that Mankins would prefer the $10 million over a long-term contract? If that were the case, we wouldn't be having this discussion at all.

$14 million? For a guard? Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa???????????

its been done, but what im telling you is you are looking at a 3rd or 4th round draft pick in all likelihood. the patriots have the money this year to have a 10 million dollar guard on the roster, especially since their offer to him last year was about 8 million.

it comes to a point where it might just be better for the patriots to hang onto the player, and when you are looking at 3rd and 4th round picks as compensation, i think you are pretty close to that point, considering the kind of player mankins is.

There is no way that NE will accept just a 3rd or 4th pick for Mankins.

Are you sure that Mankins was offered 8 M per? The Jahri Evans deal was 7 years @ 56.7 M = 8.1 M per yr. Reiss says Mankins was offered more in the range of 7 M per.

IMO, Mankins wont play under the Tag for two reasons: (1) Hes ticked off @ the Patriots. (2) He could get more up front money via a long term contract with another club. Evans got 26 M guaranteed for the first 3 years of his deal.

Al Davis is on a spending spree and Mankins is a Cali guy. Seems like a match made in heaven.

The undisputed fact is that Mankins will NEVER be likely to make up the money he lost last season. Had he accepted the Pats offer he'd now have AT LEAST $7.5MM more in his bank acount right now. (this assumes the Pats deal averaged $7.5MM per year)

If he signs the Franchise tender, he can make up almost half of that, but based on his past history of poor business decisions, it is unlikely that he will. The guy might be a great OG, but he makes money decisions like he fell off the bull way too often.

I don't think Frank Bauer is a very good agent as he hasn't represented his client very well. And I am not saying that because he says he wants his client to be the highest paid lineman ever. If he can get it then great. But the fact is that he has been failing miserably for three years straight now.

2009 - Instead of trying to negotiate an extension for his client he accepts some vague promise that the Patriots will "take care of him" during the uncapped year without ever knowing what that means. Did he really think the Patriots were going to make him the highest paid lineman ever just like that? With Brady coming back from knee surgery if there was ever a year to hold out, it was that one. Fail.

2010 - He comes up with the wonderful strategy of trying to shoot his way out of town. Logan comes out in the spring and makes these bold statements about never playing with the Pats again, man of principle...blah, blah, blah. Empty words in the end as he shows up before he has to midway through the season. The Patriots come out golden in the situation as they prove they can perform admirably without him during the first half, and get all-pro caliber player for minimal dollars in the second half. Meanwhile, Mankins looks like a great player that comes back with his tail between his legs. Fail.

2011 - Logan throws out more empty worded threats about the franchise tag. Patriots franchise him. Bauer comes up with the grand threat of showing up the day before the first game. Is this really a treat? Patriots would take that in second. Fail.

How many times does this guy have to fail before Mankins realizes he is incompetent? How much money does he has to lose before he realizes that Bauer doesn't know how to handle negotiations. Bauer states, "everything with New England is built on leverage and using the system. Everything is leverage.." Really Frank? You are actually shocked that a team would use the mechanisms granted a team to protect their interests, as negotiated by the player's association, as leverage against your client? Really? If this is the truth then you should be fired tomorrow. You're his agent. You should be giving your client advise on how this works, not painting some fairy tale picture that the NFL is about loyalty and trust. Wake up Frank. You've screwed this up royally.

Well done.

I was just going to say that Bauer has been threatening to hold his breath until he turns blue for almost a year. Like a three year old.

Sorry, daddy's not buying it.

Are you sure that Mankins was offered 8 M per? The Jahri Evans deal was 7 years @ 56.7 M = 8.1 M per yr. Reiss says Mankins was offered more in the range of 7 M per.

IMO, Mankins wont play under the Tag for two reasons: (1) Hes ticked off @ the Patriots. (2) He could get more up front money via a long term contract with another club. Evans got 26 M guaranteed for the first 3 years of his deal.

Al Davis is on a spending spree and Mankins is a Cali guy. Seems like a match made in heaven.

It's like the carolina fans saying "no way would anyone get peppers for less than 2 #1s". Chicago got him for NOTHING.

Hopefully someone is willing to pay for mankins but it's not certain. Pay him his exhorbitant salary demands AND fork over a high pick....

Wait a second. You're assuming that Mankins would prefer the $10 million over a long-term contract? If that were the case, we wouldn't be having this discussion at all.

i dont know what the specifics of the deal were, but i read that it was very similar to nick mangold's contract which is 7 years 55 million or an average of about 7.8 million per year with 24 million. if the sides arent close and after mankins has gotten to the probowl again with every analyst calling him the best guard in the NFL, we can assume that mankins is looking for AT LEAST 9 million per year.

10 million is alot of money, but there is no security in a one year contract, but 10 million dollars is 10 million dollars, he will sign the franchise tag, probably at the very last second. he wont want to miss a game and lose more than $500,000, angry or not.

as for your reasons why he wont play for the patriots.

(1) Hes ticked off @ the Patriots.

so what if hes has ticked off the patriots, he ticked off the patriots last year by not coming to play until halfway through the season, but he still came and played well enough to get to the probowl, he will be playing for a longterm contract in 2011 if he is under the franchise tag, so i expect little will be differant, other than the price you pay for him per game will obviously be higher.

(2) He could get more up front money via a long term contract with another club. Evans got 26 M guaranteed for the first 3 years of his deal.

Hes already tried to shoot his way out of town, it didnt work, because he was issued the franchise tag, he cant negotiate a deal with anyone else, the only decision he has to make if whether and subsequently when he will sign the tender.

The Patriots may still be able to work out a deal with mankins, but i dont see how a whole lot could have changed, other than mankins and his agent becoming more frustrated with the patriots applying more leverage against them, the patriots offer has been there since last year and it may have increased, if he wanted that contract and long term security all he has to do is put it in ink.

i wonder if the patriots built in a no *****ing clause?

It's like the carolina fans saying "no way would anyone get peppers for less than 2 #1s". Chicago got him for NOTHING.

Hopefully someone is willing to pay for mankins but it's not certain. Pay him his exhorbitant salary demands AND fork over a high pick....

The big difference is that Peppers wasnt tagged in 2010. It would have cost Carolina 20 M to tag Peppers again so the Panthers had to let him walk.

The Patriots dont do business that way.

as for your reasons why he wont play for the patriots.

so what if hes has ticked off the patriots, he ticked off the patriots last year by not coming to play until halfway through the season, but he still came and played well enough to get to the probowl, he will be playing for a longterm contract in 2011 if he is under the franchise tag, so i expect little will be differant, other than the price you pay for him per game will obviously be higher.

Mankins was a RFA and played in 2010 to add an accrued season -# 5, thereby becoming an UFA. It wasnt for the money since he lost nearly 1.75 M holding out.

Hes already tried to shoot his way out of town, it didnt work, because he was issued the franchise tag, he cant negotiate a deal with anyone else, the only decision he has to make if whether and subsequently when he will sign the tender.

The Pats used the non exclusive franchise tag. He can negotiate.

New England Patriots put franchise tag on Logan Mankins - ESPN Boston

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back