PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mankins at Left Tackle

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn't shocked to see Mankins get it done yesterday. It was a pleasant surprise, but after what he did last week, it wasn't totally unexpected. You know what did surprise me in a really good way? Josh Kline performing capably at LG. I dunno how Scarnecchia does it, because in preseason Kline looked like he might be the worst offensive lineman in the NFL.

Not sure what you were watching, but Wendell whiffed on stunts three times by my count, and that's without the ability to see the All-22. He was once again the weak link on an OL that otherwise played as solid as it has all season. I don't have issue with Kline at LG and Mankins at LT, going forward, if that's how they're going to play every week.

Wendell got called out for making a couple of good plays by the announcers, so that's probably where the praise is coming from. The problem with that is that an interior lineman will rarely get called out when he makes a mistake, and Wendell as always made his share. I'd argue that Wendell wasn't the weak link yesterday, only because Cannon looked worse to me, but neither did anything to inspire confidence. Gotta assume that Cannon is nowhere near 100%.

In this thread: More undeserved Solder trashing

Apparently you have to be playing out of position for a fantastic game at left tackle to get noticed. Solder has had quite a few games this season that were better than what Mankins did yesterday.

This is spot on. Solder has had plenty of very good games this year that people ignore because they don't remember him having his name called. When a LT has a bad play, it is usually higher profile because he is the one protecting Brady's blindside. However, normally when that same LT plays well, they rarely get the accolades they deserve because their name wasn't called all day.

I say normally because yesterday with Mankins was the exception not the rule. Most fans were curious to see how he performed at LT, so they were actually paying attention to his play for the better part of the game. Watch this weekend if he plays LT again. Guaranteed there will be considerably fewer positive comments as most fans won't be focusing as much on his play (unless he gives up a sack...then all of the posters / mediots who always overreact will start yelling to put Solder back in).

Several things:

• I felt the o-line played very well yesterday, but I think it had more to do with the inside of the line stepping up rather than what the OTs did. I think many of Solder's problems this year is that he was stuck having to choose to stop the inside guy who was rushing free or the outside guy who was rushing free. And that was inside protection problems.
  • Although Mankins did very well for the short term at LT, that doesn't mean he can do well long term there. One advantage he had yesterday is there is no tape on him at LT and Suggs didn't know tricks to get around him that he would be able to spot in film study with an established LT.
  • Stopping Suggs isn't exactly a major feat this year. Prior to yesterday's game, he went six games without a sack. In the game vs. the Lions the week before, he didn't even show up on the stat sheet.
  • The guy I was impressed with yesterday was Wendell. He has been the weak link on the line all year and yesterday he was dominant. He rag-dolled a guy on a delayed blitz that sent him flying a yard away. He kept Ngata at bay all game.
  • Solder gets too much crap on this board. Most of his blocking is excellent, but he suffers from Matt Light syndrome where he will play excellent for 95% of the game and then give up one major whiff sack that makes half the fans think he is a turnstile. He has done it more often this year than Light used to do it most years, but it makes people think he is struggling all the time. I guess it is the nature of the position.

Cannon looked gassed, especially at the end of the first half. Three weeks on conditioning for Cannon should help his wind somewhat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST