PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mangini blew that 4th and 2 call

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulNEPats

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Going for it on 4th and a long 2 on a 16 play drive? And they end up with nothing. Now the colts drive and get a field goal to go up by 3. Nice call Eric! :p

He did, but overall I think the Jets look pretty good. I sure hope our secondary looks as good as theirs.

Patters said:
He did, but overall I think the Jets look pretty good. I sure hope our secondary looks as good as theirs.

Yep, I've been impressed with how well the Jets are playing today. Defense has been pretty good, and the offense has been efficient.

WOW, kickoff return for a TD by the Jets! Jets up by 4 now.

Blew the final kickoff return.

New coach, same old moron Jests.

onegameatatime said:
Blew the final kickoff return.

New coach, same old moron Jests.

Harsh but true :rofl:

I thought the play was good. It was one of those if it works it was a brilliant call, if it didn't it was a dumb call. The Jets definitely played hard today and I commend them on it, my hatred for the Colts far outweigh the disdain for the Jets:)

Bad call if you don't have a running game. You don't have to actually run it, but if you can't credibly threaten a run at the goal line you're in trouble, as we saw.

PaulNEPats said:
Going for it on 4th and a long 2 on a 16 play drive? And they end up with nothing. Now the colts drive and get a field goal to go up by 3. Nice call Eric! :p

Now, now... it wasn't so bad going for the TD instead of the FG... I mean, its not like they lost by 3 points or anything like that.

Madden's take: The same folks who are second guessing Mangini on the 4th and 2 call going for the TD, are the same folks who wouldn't have made the onside kick call early in the game that led to the Jets second TD.

Collingsworth's response: Yeh, I'd have kicked the FG and not run the onside kick.

Madden's response: Mangini 7, Collingsworth 3

The Jets are playing some pretty good football under Mangini. The Colts may not be what they have been in years past, but they are still a top tier team who have dominated poor teams - which today's performance says the Jets are not. You also have to give Mangini an early thumbs up for his 3rd round pick that had all the experts sniffing with disdain - that kid is a nice weapon.

please put OT in the subject of a non-patriots thread

Going for it can be backed, but the play call was pretty bad. Play action is less likely to be bought when Indy just stuffed them a couple times in a row, plus the rollout was odd. I just saw the play again from the QB perspective, the only receiver on that side of the field is the TE, who was the target. When Pennington rolled, though, he took two or three defenders with him, so the play had no chance of working.

I still think they should have done play action on an earlier down.

Jets should have won that game. This is probably the worst state you will
see the Colts in this year. Their secondary and Oline looks like a
hospital ward in a war zone. Many of the guys that played today were nursing
injuries.

PatsWorldChamps said:
please put OT in the subject of a non-patriots thread

I'll remember that for next time, but please don't call me out when you do the same exact thing in another thread.

Your Thread

Last edited:
Oswlek said:
Going for it can be backed, but the play call was pretty bad. Play action is less likely to be bought when Indy just stuffed them a couple times in a row, plus the rollout was odd. I just saw the play again from the QB perspective, the only receiver on that side of the field is the TE, who was the target. When Pennington rolled, though, he took two or three defenders with him, so the play had no chance of working.

I still think they should have done play action on an earlier down.
I'm watching the replay in slow motion: the Jets are working out of a 3 TE set with a FB moving around and settling into an "I" formation - the play action worked to suck Colts' players up, but the TE got hung up by sticking with the block of the DE, to point of an uncalled holding penalty, before he started out into his pattern - his delay allowed the defense to recover from the play action (Boiman (sp?) was inside and would have been well behind the TE if he had chipped and gone into his pattern).

I see that as the execution error, throwing the timing off.

The mental error goes to Penny - he tried to force the ball into the receiver instead of throwing the ball out of bounds, pinning the Colts deep. Instead of leaving the Colts on the 2, they get the ball on the 20, Penny was trying too hard; see Brady in Denver.

I can't fault Mangini for playing very aggressively against a shaky and sometimes struggling, but always dangerous Colts team. He had just lost his most productive RB, most likely for the season. Not scoring the TD would have been a moral victory for the Colts, but it also would have been a field position challenge for them - until Penny tried too hard.

Indy is going to be a fascinating game. I can't imagine any scenario where we stop their pass and they have no chance of stopping our run.

Manning has a one-brain thing going with Harrison and Wayne right now. It will be very tough.

PaulNEPats said:

I completely disagree. You 9 times out of 10 need TD's to beat the Colts not FG's. FG's is what a Herm Edwards type HC does on that play, plays for the tie or not to lose. Mangini was playing for the win knowing he needed TD's to win that game. Yeah in the end he didn't but no one knew that then and history shows that Indy can light it up with the best, hence the onside kick too.

Bottomline he gambled to get the win and in this case lost. It was IMHO against any other O/QB you take the 3. Against Manning and that O you need the TD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe