PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Malcolm Mitchell files grievance vs Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, the thing is that he passed the Pats physical and wasn't hurt in camp to my knowledge. Yet, my understanding from the two articles is that he was hurt the same day he was released (Aug 6th).

What is interesting is that Mitchell had a procedure on July 23rd. So, one would have to question how he passed his physical and wasn't put on the PUP list to start camp. Could be that the Patriots have an issue with one of their doctors the same way that the Saints did last year with Delvin Breaux..

Patriots doctors work for the team, not the players. Their medical opinion may differ from that of an independent physician. I doubt Mitchell would bring the grievance without getting a second and third opinion. Even possible that he had visits with other teams and their physicians wouldn't pass him.

Mitchell is claiming that he was hurt and that is what led to his release where as the Patriots are saying it was performance.

Anyone else hear that Mitchell was hurt again? I hadn't.. And that's the sort of thing that usually comes out.

I don't think there was any indication as to what the team released him for. I know most of us figured it was something along the lines of "he must have permanent knee problems", but that was all conjecture.

The settlement amount has not hit yet the Patriots salary cap. Mitchell's grievance amount of $252,000 remains on the Patriots salary cap.

What did he get? Or will it be hush hush?

A "settlement" does not necessarily mean it is for the complete amount, there may have been a negotiated agreement for less.

Really sorry for what happened Mitchell was a very smart kid too.

Just a theory, but I got the impression that Mitchell held himself out in conflict with the NEP doctors clearing him to play and that the Pats patiently waited until it was clear that Mitchell was not going to be ready. Kinda a fear to get back on the horse thing.

Mitchell can say that he was injured and the NEP doctors can say that he was healed. Hence, the Pats letting Mitchell go because he refused to play.

I believe its common throughout the league that these disagreements occur. Some players play through pain and others do not.

Just a theory, but I got the impression that Mitchell held himself out in conflict with the NEP doctors clearing him to play and that the Pats patiently waited until it was clear that Mitchell was not going to be ready. Kinda a fear to get back on the horse thing.

Mitchell can say that he was injured and the NEP doctors can say that he was healed. Hence, the Pats letting Mitchell go because he refused to play.

I believe its common throughout the league that these disagreements occur. Some players play through pain and others do not.

He was practicing, so your theory makes no sense.

So is he done playing football? I don't care about this settlement, but he was in tune with Brady and I think the team was counting on him. We were so strong in WR and RB coming into camp.

Great free agent pickup we made with McClellan. Smh

So is he done playing football? I don't care about this settlement, but he was in tune with Brady and I think the team was counting on him. We were so strong in WR and RB coming into camp.

He probably thinks he is not done if the settlement reached was for him to be a free agent and not revert to the Patriots IR.

It'd be niceto stash him on IR and have him available next year. His salary would still be favorable, and he's a good WR.

$1.17M is all that remains? What absolutely amateurish, dumbass cap management this past season+ here.
I agree. Seems bizarre since they don’t have a lot of big contracts. Off the top of my head there’s Brady (which is dirt cheap for a QB of his caliber), Gronk, Gilmore, McCourty, Hightower, and now Mason (why did they have to pay him?). Where’s the rest of the money going?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
Back