PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Malcolm Butler situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brady6

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Butler situation?

What is going on with Butler? Why did Rowe start over him today? I find it hard to believe he has fallen from our undisputed #1 CB to our #3.

Should we be concerned about this?

What is going on with Butler? Why did Rowe start over him today? I find it hard to believe he has fallen from our undisputed #1 CB to our #3.

I would dispute that. Gilmore is our best CB. Butler is short and struggles to high point balls thrown over him. Against tall WRs, Rowe will get the matchup.

I would dispute that. Gilmore is our best CB. Butler is short and struggles to high point balls thrown over him. Against tall WRs, Rowe will get the matchup.

Agreed. And McCourty is easily the most valuable player in our secondary, if not entire defense.

Bigger receivers.

With that said his coverage seemed soft at times.

Not overly concerned yet

Agreed. And McCourty is easily the most valuable player in our secondary, if not entire defense.

Disagree with your " agreed". Up to this year, Butler has been a far superior cb to Gilmore. Really not debatable. Malcolm has 2 pro bowls and 1 2nd team all -pro in last 2 years. Gilmore has nada in same time. Gilmore DOES have arguably more upside. But he needs to play with consistent probowl- production to be in butler's class. Gilmore was roasted a lot more than Butler last year, including by us.I'm not gonna judge anyone after 2 games. Especially w/o benefit of coaches tape.
But I'm not worried about either one. By playoff time, if they're healthy, no reason to doubt they're one of,if not the best cb tandem in the NFL.

The Butler situation

I've been trying to deny it since the rumors began in the off season but it really does seem like Butler is not on good terms with the team right now.

My question is, if we were able to trade him what compensation do you think we could get in return? Obviously a coverage LB is probably the biggest need.

What players are available that you think we could possibly get for Butler if it does come down to that?

I think I'm still in favor of keeping Butler but I do wonder if the defense would be better if we strengthened the weakness since we have a good deep secondary.

Corner snap counts, week 2 at Saints:

65 -- 100% --- Stephon Gilmore
49 --- 75% --- Malcolm Butler
34 --- 52% --- Eric Rowe
27 --- 42% --- Jonathan Jones

I wouldn't put too much emphasis in to who did and did not start, even though the Boston sports media will surely squeeze every drop they can out of the topic over the next several days.

As noted previously, the matchups based on the Saints roster meant it made more sense to use Rowe more on the outside against taller receivers and Butler on Ginn.

Corner snap counts, week 2 at Saints:

65 -- 100% --- Stephon Gilmore
49 --- 75% --- Malcolm Butler
34 --- 52% --- Eric Rowe
27 --- 42% --- Jonathan Jones

I wouldn't put too much emphasis in to who did and did not start.

As noted above, the matchups based on the Saints roster meant it made more sense to use Rowe more on the outside against taller receivers and Butler on Ginn.
Can you clarify the snap count before Rowe got hurt?

Can you clarify the snap count before Rowe got hurt?
Not at the moment, but I'll see if I can get that for you.

Watching it live I felt as though Rowe's snaps were primarily replaced by Jones. In other words Butler replaces Rowe and Jones replaces Butler, though I'm not 100% sure of that. The game plan seemed to be to put Butler on Ginn. Pats used three corners on more than 50% of their snaps.

Butler is not as good as our gratitude for his SB play led us to believe. He is not as bad as a few iffy plays since might suggest. He's a good corner, a slim cut above "solid," whom the Patriots know they will decline to overpay. Another team will, of course, and BB will get out of the situation what he can, as he always does.

If we're all gonna decide the only reason Butler didn't start was due to "matchups", we should at least all agree then that he is no way a No. 1 corner and not worth the money he was asking for.
I'm with you. I don't believe it was only matchups. And if it was - then he isn't worth nearly what he & his agent are seeking.

I love me some MB. But so far, there are concerns in 2017.

Again, he's a good corner who wants to be paid like a great one (nothing wrong with that), but the Pats aren't gonna pay him like that. They'll get what they can out of it, in play and assets, and move on. I don't think there's really any mystery here.

nope...but I gotta go sphere fishing in the a.m. Perhaps it will come to me by then...
Bravo! Now hunker down with that Long Island Lolita and watch GB/Atlanta. Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back