PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Malcolm Butler Mega Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, but why the stubbornness to not even put Butler in at the half? Whatever defense they tried in the first half didn't work. If Malcolm looks awful on one drive, take him out and put in Bademosi/Richards/Whoever. It couldn't have hurt. my theory is that the coaching staff decided before the game that Butler only goes in on defense if there is an injury. otherwise, he stays out. if you ask me they were being too rigid.
Your point is fine but it ignores the why.

Think about this. BILL BELICHICK decided that after playing the guy virtually every down all season that something was so wrong that he wouldn’t put him on the field unless he had no choice.
Do you really think belichick didn’t wrestle with his decision? That he did it flippantly? That he wouldn’t have worked him in, especially when chung went out if he wasn’t 100% certain?
This is Bill Belichick the guy who considers every possibility and prepares for anything that could happen. Do you really think he just took a guess and then as it looked like it wasn’t working just decided he refuses to make a change on what (based on your assumptions) would be the most uncharacteristic decision of his career?

Bill Belichick.

Because it reflects just how bat sh.t crazy many Patriots fans have gone over a single personnel decision. 17 years of working relentlessly to bring success to this franchise out the window because fans don’t like a decision. What an incredibly spoiled, entitled, crybaby a-holes this fan base is.
I don't think so.

We got out butts kicked in our very first title game out in San Diego in '63; we lost out on the title the next year when the Bills' D stopped us at Fenway; and the Jets stopped us from making it to Super Bowl I.

But the true, on-field rage experienced by this team's fandom peaked on December 18, 1976 and will never be eclipsed. We weren't perfect that day, but we were more than good enough to win and take home the title.

Ever since the last game played at old Foxboro Stadium, it's been clear that we're in the midst of something special, potentially historic. Dealing Deion Branch, letting Vinatieri go, the failure to kick a 49-yard field goal, the dropped Welker ball, going for it again in Denver, and last Sunday's debacle are highly questionable decisions...but yes, you must take the bad with the good.

The fact is the New England Patriots, since their incarnation in 1970 with the merger from the old Boston Patriots, are, far and away, the most illegitimately denigrated, disparaged and discredited professional sports franchise in the history of mankind.

It continues unabated today.

Winning more Super Bowls than anyone, including the Squealers, is simply an important goal to achieve. And we live and die with the Patriots - even the bandwagoners and those who choose to be blind to Tagliabue/Goodell/Orthwein's treachery even as they moan about preposterous witch hunts.

Patriots fans, simply, can never be spoiled. Not after what's been hurled at the team since before the Beatles broke up. Other franchises, like the Eagles, endured losing. Big deal. No one else endured the abuse we have and continue to.

It occurred to me today that this roasting is what would have happened had we lost the Seattle Super Bowl. His decision not to take a timeout. I can read the posts in my head “he had no faith that Tom Brady would go down and win it!” “He’s lost it! Any idiot knows to call a timeout!” Etc. Etc.

The difference to me he had a chance to try and see if Butler could provide a spark at any point during a 60 minute game and didn’t. I don’t think I’ll ever understand it.

He would have taken the same beating last year for trading Collins had they not come back and won. In fact many of the same people sh.tting on him now we’re the ones who screamed loudest about how his arrogance and ego had destroyed the 2016season.

Don’t believe me? Go to page 160, and surrounding pages an read the Collins traded posts. Belichick is the worst person, Coach, GM ever.

This crap never ends, people don’t get their way and they go apesh.t.

Mine is based upon a basic character quality, gratitude. It’s something that means a great deal to me. I’m incredibly grateful to my family, friends, coworkers, and those who have brought happiness and joy to my life. And that includes those on teams I root for. I have been called a homer, and a million other names, on this site for defending player’s and coaches who have worked their asses off to give us the joy we have gotten from their success. And like me or hate me I have been very consistent in this regard. I think a lack of gratitude is one of the worst character flaws there is in a person, and unfortunately I see that as rampant both on this site and among Patriot fans in general, and I think that reflects incredibly poorly on all those who demonstrate it, and on Patriot fans as a whole. Belichick, like Brady, has worked tirelessly to bring success and happiness to Patriot fans everywhere, and the ****storm of ingratitude dumped on him since Sunday night is one of if not the most disgraceful episodes I have ever seen. People should grow the f.ck up and deal with the loss instead of raining their ingratitude and sh.t down on the person who has done the most and worked the hardest to make this franchise what it is today.

In short those responsible should be ashamed of themselves for being ungrateful A-Holes. He made a decision, that’s his job, deal with it
Another basic character quality is civility. Calling people who are upset about a loss and the coach's hand in it "a-holes" sort of takes away from the rest of your post, as do your generalizations that people who are upset about a particular loss and some controversial decisions made therein are somehow ungrateful for everything else in life, including the Pats' successful run. Whatever. I am done with the argument. You think I am an a-hole and I think you are "unbelievable" for continuing to defend BB at all costs.

I don't think so.

We got out butts kicked in our very first title game out in San Diego in '63; we lost out on the title the next year when the Bills' D stopped us at Fenway; and the Jets stopped us from making it to Super Bowl I.

But the true, on-field rage experienced by this team's fandom peaked on December 18, 1976 and will never be eclipsed. We weren't perfect that day, but we were more than good enough to win and take home the title.

Ever since the last game played at old Foxboro Stadium, it's been clear that we're in the midst of something special, potentially historic. Dealing Deion Branch, letting Vinatieri go, the failure to kick a 49-yard field goal, the dropped Welker ball, going for it again in Denver, and last Sunday's debacle are highly questionable decisions...but yes, you must take the bad with the good.

The fact is the New England Patriots, since their incarnation in 1970 with the merger from the old Boston Patriots, are, far and away, the most illegitimately denigrated, disparaged and discredited professional sports franchise in the history of mankind.

It continues unabated today.

Winning more Super Bowls than anyone, including the Squealers, is simply an important goal to achieve. And we live and die with the Patriots - even the bandwagoners and those who choose to be blind to Tagliabue/Goodell/Orthwein's treachery even as they moan about preposterous witch hunts.

Patriots fans, simply, can never be spoiled. Not after what's been hurled at the team since before the Beatles broke up. Other franchises, like the Eagles, endured losing. Big deal. No one else endured the abuse we have and continue to.

In which case I would expect people to be grateful for everything that Beluchick and Brady have done, and not the sh.t that has been rained on Belichick since Sunday.

In which case I would expect people to be grateful for everything that Beluchick and Brady have done, and not the sh.t that has been rained on Belichick since Sunday.
I do believe we're grateful. I (along with Dave Cowens, and others) was pissed at Red Auerbach for letting Paul Silas go. That didn't mean I didn't always love Red.

It's good to believe that we're not dumb sheep. Also, the suggestion last week that we'd be "okay" with losing Sunday because of all our other recent success is, as I pointed out, insane.

I've always liked Bill Belichick, and always will. He's human, like the rest of us. Heck, he even admits when he's been wrong...and at some point, I won't be surprised if he owns up to this one too. We still want him coaching here, for as long as he wants.

Another basic character quality is civility. Calling people who are upset about a loss and the coach's hand in it "a-holes" sort of takes away from the rest of your post, as do your generalizations that people who are upset about a particular loss and some controversial decisions made therein are somehow ungrateful for everything else in life, including the Pats' successful run. Whatever. I am done with the argument. You think I am an a-hole and I think you are "unbelievable" for continuing to defend BB at all costs.

I’ll be civil to those being civil, not those who are going apesh.t because they didn’t like a decision.

Believe it or not Deb I like you and respect you, and I have always enjoyed talking football with you, but this time your emotions got the better of you, and that is something that has happened to me plenty of times.

And if you think I always defend Belichick just ask anyone who engaged in the Welker contract argument with me, I thought he was wrong and I was vocal about it, but I never suggested he was being irresponsible about it, called for his firing, or called him Hitler. I disagreed, period, but the people arguing with me and Belichick proved to be right, which is ultimately the case with almost all of his decisions. We don’t have to like them or agree with them but he’s earned the right to make them, and he shouldn’t be sh.t all over because we don’t agree with them. Fact is, if Brady leads them to one final drive then this is a blip on the radar, but because he didn’t it’s now a fireable offense. That’s bullsh.t.

Fact is, if Brady leads them to one final drive then this is a blip on the radar, but because he didn’t it’s now a fireable offense.
I can't think of a potential fireable offense that Bill could commit.

Maybe murder. Maybe.

Ok, but why the stubbornness to not even put Butler in at the half? Whatever defense they tried in the first half didn't work. If Malcolm looks awful on one drive, take him out and put in Bademosi/Richards/Whoever. It couldn't have hurt. my theory is that the coaching staff decided before the game that Butler only goes in on defense if there is an injury. otherwise, he stays out. if you ask me they were being too rigid.

Why only bring Butler in? If the whole defense was struggling, why not bring in all the backups? Give it a shot for a series. Right?

I can't think of a potential fireable offense that Bill could commit.

Maybe murder. Maybe.

That sets you apart from many in this forum, calls for his head were commonplace today.

Brady ain’t liking that post if it wasn’t true and I’m pretty sure his teammates would know about the curfew nonsense

Agreed. Brady commenting on it changed my opinion. He's too political to put his name on something that publicly without fully believing in it.

Dear god mods you had to merge the thread on butler actually cummunicating something?! Argh.

According to Jeff Howe, Rowe allowed 4/9 for 80 yards, with 3 PBUs. For context, Butler had 12 PBUs for the whole year. PFF gave Rowe the 4th highest grade on the team in SB 52 (third highest on D after Flowers and Gilmore). Rowe gave up some plays for sure but it wasn't anything markedly different than what we've seen from Butler all year.

Actually, I don't think Rowe played that poorly. The TD he got beat on was a perfect throw and perfect catch. But I think having Butler in there instead of Bademosi or Richards would have been preferred. Regardless, the D played terrible but if not for that one play (the strip sack), they could have won.

Actually, I don't think Rowe played that poorly. The TD he got beat on was a perfect throw and perfect catch. But I think having Butler in there instead of Bademosi or Richards would have been preferred. Regardless, the D played terrible but if not for that one play (the strip sack), they could have won.
I agree. Rowe did not play as well as the PFF stats seemingly show.

Was he putrid-terrible-Kyle-Arrington-SB-49 level? No.

I have no qualms with being on Belichick strain. I’ll ride it to the bloody, bitter end

Belichick always wants to eliminate distractions....

IMO, Belichick has created the biggest distraction in league history on the biggest stage... Congratulations Bill, this was your choice and it is all on you... you did what was best for you, not what was in the best interest for the ownership, the players and coaches... you put your own agenda first, the defense was in shambles, they weren't ready to play all because of the way he handled the situation... ya, situational football at it's best...

hypocrite... This has the same feel to it when parcells left...

Richards subs for a LB in sub packages, so Richards was not in for Butler. Bademosi had one target and one reception. So maybe Malcolm would have helped on that one play. Maybe. Is that why we’ve been going for 150 pages now?

I don’t know if you noticed but there isn’t any “ in Bill we trust in New England” they lost Sunday, now it’s “ Belichick= Hitler”
Yeah, good balanced take there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference