PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Player Departure Mac Jones traded to Jags for a 6th

I'll always go back to the Ravens game in 2022, the game where he was hurt on the last play of the game, early in the Matt Patricia reign as OC. They lost an exciting game where Agholor fumbled a catch & run with 3+ minutes left as the Pats were driving to take the lead.

Mac threw a bad INT to Parker earlier in the game, though many felt that Parker ran the wrong route. He threw another bad pick in the middle of the field which some were saying was Patricia's fault for not setting up the play action. Regardless, they looked like bad INT's on Mac, and he was plagued with those this past season.

On the other hand he passed for about 350 yards including 185 to Parker, led the offense really well all day, and also scrambled extremely well which I never saw from before or since. After that game I was convinced he could be the one. He showed a high ceiling against a quality opponent.

Then he was hurt (ankle) on a cheap shot on the last play, missed a month, and he was never that same guy again. He teased us with that brief display, and it was pretty much all downhill from there.
The only problem with this ^ take is Mac led the entire NFL in interceptions at this point.

Nobody ruined Mac but Mac.

Let's see what the Bears get for Fields if they move him, or the JEST get for Wilson.
Especially Wilson, who only has the minimum base salary but has a guaranteed $4.4M roster bonus due at the beginning of TC.

I definitely predicted a 6th rounder, given he has only one year on his contract and that he can't possibly be perceived by anyone as a backup.

Jax probably figured he'd be very willing to stay home as a backup rather than move on to a crappy team and be told he's "competing" with David Carr or the like.

I was a huge Mac Jones fan at one time. I hope he does well in Jacksonville. I had high hopes. Kinda puts me in a funk. Time to move on.

Looking at some big boards, this is not a throw away pick. There will be some quality players left. Especially at RB, a position now under valued in the NFL. A fan favorite could be Dylan Laube, if he lasts that long. Other quality RB's will be around as well.

The only problem with this ^ take is Mac led the entire NFL in interceptions at this point.

Nobody ruined Mac but Mac.
Agree, not blaming anyone though he obviously was in an environment going to pot. I just see that Baltimore game as the one where he showed us glimpses of what he could be, but never became, in the subsequent 1 1/2 seasons.

Yeah, and they just got 4 comp picks!

Maybe the Pats WANTED to keep him in the conference...mwahaha!

EDIT: after seeing there were other teams, I wonder if the Pats did him a solid and let him go home.

That’s what I was thinking as well. This is just an overnight stop, the Jags have a deal in place with Alabama, and will trade him back to them for a 2 star recruit.

Good spot for Mac. It’s home, and NO ONE will expect him to compete for QB1 with Lawrence barring injury so good chance to reset.

6th-7th was about what I believed they could get, and they HAD to move on as he lost the locker room and obviously FO/new staff wasn’t high on him.

I’d like to see Zappe go next and then someone douse that QB room in Holy Water. Before anyone steps foot in the room.

I'd actually try to flip that 6th to the JEST for Zach Wilson.

Good spot for Mac. It’s home, and NO ONE will expect him to compete for QB1 with Lawrence barring injury so good chance to reset.

6th-7th was about what I believed they could get, and they HAD to move on as he lost the locker room and obviously FO/new staff wasn’t high on him.

I’d like to see Zappe go next and then someone douse that QB room in Holy Water. Before anyone steps foot in the room.
I can see Zappe staying as a backup. He's got spunk, not afraid, has good mobility and a decent arm.

In 2021 Mac went 1-4 after the bye week, he threw 7 interceptions and lost a fumble… 8 turnovers in five games while completing about 60% of his passes.

His only "good," turnover free performance came against the Jaguars... a team that finished 2021 with a bottom five defense and the worst record in the entire NFL.

Most Pat’s fans hoped Mac hit a rookie wall and would get stronger his sophomore season, instead it portended his career for the next two years. Once teams got film on Mac he stunk, unless he grows up and learns how to be a pro that’s who he is.
Yes, I get that which I stated in my original post. The outlook on Mac was positive until that final stretch where he and the team collapsed.

I was a huge Mac Jones fan at one time. I hope he does well in Jacksonville. I had high hopes. Kinda puts me in a funk. Time to move on.

I was a HUGE Mac guy at one point too. When we pick a QB in the 1st round in April you will be out of your funk, and better for it.

Mac lost me by his non-professionals actions, like Wolf noted in his press conference. I wish Mac all the best. I think he could be a good backup and make $MMs in the NFL if he can change his attitude. Mac's future success will be all about Mac's state of mind.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back