PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Looks like Belichick Isn't Going to Go "All In"

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatriotDynasty99

On the Roster
Reaction score
First, let me say this isn't a criticism -- rather, just an observation. BB started the off season on fire: signing Gilmore, Guy, Burkhead, trading for Cooks, Allen, and Ealy. That's impressive. Also, of course, re-signing Hightower and Harmon. With those moves the Patriots are in great shape. If they hold on to Butler they are without question improved from last year's Super Bowl winning season and the favorite to win it all again. And maybe that's good enough.

But I honestly thought Belichick was ready to take the final step and pull the trigger on a Garoppolo trade and gain a harvest of picks from Cleveland -- something like #12, #33, and a 2nd round pick next year as well. I think the Browns are willing to give that up but Belichick doesn't seem interested. To me, that's shocking. I can appreciate the value of having a quality backup QB; it's great insurance. It's nice to know that if Brady were to get injured, JG would be there to step in and yes, the Patriots could still win the Super Bowl.

On the flip side, however, is the chance to gain a special player at #12 -- a great pass rusher, a monster LBer, a stud young RB and at #33 (another virtual 1st round pick) you could add another starter. These guys would be under your control with friendly contracts for years to come. Potentially, you could have the greatest team not only in Patriot history, but also, in NFL history. And you could continue the search for the eventual Tom Brady replacement by drafting another young QB or simply sign a decent vet backup (there are few still available) and wait until next year to draft a QB.

I'm not Belichick, but if it were me, I would be of the mindset that I want to put the very best team I could field next year (and the years beyond) and risk trading my backup QB to have a team for the ages. Few teams ever have this opportunity. Few teams are ever in this position.

And who knows? BB is so coy, that he might be thinking that and he's merely trying to fleece Cleveland for as much as possible. But what appears more likely is that Belichick has decided to keep JG for another season. Understandable in some ways; disappointing in other ways.

Here's one fan rooting for the JG trade to happen, although it looks less and less likely with each passing day.

He's just waiting for someone to make him an offer he can't refuse. No sense rushing into anything. He has time, and the closer it gets to the draft the more anxious some of these teams may get, and thinking that BB wants to keep JG, they may feel they have to overpay to get him.

I don't really understand this post. Looking at the off-season, I can't really see a move that indicates we're going "all in" as they say.

The Gilmore deal was obviously the big one, but I think they make that move even if Brady retired after the last Super Bowl and Jimmy G was the starter. They obviously like Gilmore and felt it was a good way to acquire a #1 corner. None of the other moves seem timeline-specific. They re-signed Hightower, but they also risked losing him too and felt they could be patient with that.

The one that might raise an eyebrow is the Cooks trade, but they may look at this draft as deep, but not star-laden, and two years of Cooks in a cost-controlled environment may be worth more than 5 years of anybody they were going to draft at 32.

It was an aggressive off-season, no doubt. Lots of surprises. But I never felt they were going all-in at any point.

I find these threads fun...

CAT%2BGIF%2B%25E2%2580%25A2%2BFunny%2BCat%2Bchasing%2Bher%2Btail%2Band%2Bspinning%2Baround%2Blike%2Bcrazy.gif

...for a while. o_O

Last edited:
Does he ever go "all in", to the detriment of the next year and following years? "All in" is usually synonymous with idiocy.

Look at what happened between 2006 and 2007, and explain how this season is any different. BB will try different things. Those new directions may work, and may not work, but they are usually just a testament to the mad professor trying to evolve his approach to winning. That is what makes him great, and ahead of the curve.

Bill goes " all in" every season. I honestly believe he begins each season with a team he believes is capable of winning the SB. Every season. I'm sure there are some seasons he feels better about than others, but I think he always believes his team will be in the hunt. Every season.

I think he means what he says: he ALWAYS does what he thinks will make the team better. Whenever he chooses NOT to do something we think he should, we focus on what he's not doing. But he has a reason, and you KNOW he'll do something else, probably something unexpected, instead. I don't think he has a "philosophy," as some GM's do: he's neither an aggressive nor a wait-and-see guy, he's not a pro young player or pro-veteran guy, he's neither for nor against ANY kind of player. He does whatever he thinks is best. A lot of people SAY that's what they do, but they're usually too lazy to do the long, hard work needed to see in just what respect a particular player or a particular situation is unique.

I think he's "all in" ALL the f'ing time, and I wouldn't worry about him lollygagging through even a moment of his time on the job. Let's face it, the guy is a freak. That's why we love him and fans of other teams can't stand him. They just can't keep up.

There is no reason for either side to make a deal right now. Thinking of my own industry, with rare exceptions big ticket sales are not made until the last possible minute. Both sides are going to wait it out, hoping for the other side to blink and receive a better offer. If a trade is going to be made it won't happen until the day of the draft.

Dueling Garoppolo Trade Threads!
What fun!!

Is there some new 2017 Patsfans Rite of Passage or something that each poster needs to create a separate JAG thread to post their own variation & opinion (not that they haven't posted it a dozen times before in other JAG threads) about what will/should whatever happen?

Is there some new 2017 Patsfans Rite of Passage or something that each poster needs to create a separate JAG thread to post their own variation & opinion (not that they haven't posted it a dozen times before in other JAG threads) about what will/should whatever happen?

My first car was a Jag. Should I start a thread about that?

I think I will, actually, in the "Pub" section. After all, I was just informed by PatsFan that I am "Seriously Likeable", so it's about time I started throwing my weight around.

I looked up "all in" in the Webster's and Urban dictionaries and couldn't find it in either.

First, let me say this isn't a criticism -- rather, just an observation. BB started the off season on fire: signing Gilmore, Guy, Burkhead, trading for Cooks, Allen, and Ealy. That's impressive. Also, of course, re-signing Hightower and Harmon. With those moves the Patriots are in great shape. If they hold on to Butler they are without question improved from last year's Super Bowl winning season and the favorite to win it all again. And maybe that's good enough.

But I honestly thought Belichick was ready to take the final step and pull the trigger on a Garoppolo trade and gain a harvest of picks from Cleveland -- something like #12, #33, and a 2nd round pick next year as well. I think the Browns are willing to give that up but Belichick doesn't seem interested. To me, that's shocking. I can appreciate the value of having a quality backup QB; it's great insurance. It's nice to know that if Brady were to get injured, JG would be there to step in and yes, the Patriots could still win the Super Bowl.

On the flip side, however, is the chance to gain a special player at #12 -- a great pass rusher, a monster LBer, a stud young RB and at #33 (another virtual 1st round pick) you could add another starter. These guys would be under your control with friendly contracts for years to come. Potentially, you could have the greatest team not only in Patriot history, but also, in NFL history. And you could continue the search for the eventual Tom Brady replacement by drafting another young QB or simply sign a decent vet backup (there are few still available) and wait until next year to draft a QB.

I'm not Belichick, but if it were me, I would be of the mindset that I want to put the very best team I could field next year (and the years beyond) and risk trading my backup QB to have a team for the ages. Few teams ever have this opportunity. Few teams are ever in this position.

And who knows? BB is so coy, that he might be thinking that and he's merely trying to fleece Cleveland for as much as possible. But what appears more likely is that Belichick has decided to keep JG for another season. Understandable in some ways; disappointing in other ways.

Here's one fan rooting for the JG trade to happen, although it looks less and less likely with each passing day.
He may feel keeping JAG in case is going "All in". Because they could win with him if Brady goes down. The team is loaded and should make the Super Bowl at least this coming season and probably win it once they get there.
Houston can't win a Super Bowl, even with great game changer defensive players. It is because they do not have a QB. I think what is really going on is that Pats coaches and BB realize that JAG is a franchise QB. Brady is 40, and he if he does play for 5 more great seasons then awesome that's great. However, if BB thinks JAG is a future franchise QB, he will just keep him as long as he can, even if they just lose him for nothing.

I looked up "all in" in the Webster's and Urban dictionaries and couldn't find it in either.

This is geeky, but as I think of it, there at least two meanings: The poker one, meaning that you are fully committed to a course of action, putting everything at risk. Then there's the meaning of "totally exhausted," as in, "I was all in after climbing Mt. Washington." I guess the two meanings have in common that you're kind of at the end of the line, deprived at least possibly of any chance of continuing, in both.

Then there's the similar," She was all up in my business," but I really don't wanna speculate as the underlying metaphor there.

Maybe he feel as there's no one at 12 that improves the team out of the gate

This is geeky, but as I think of it, there at least two meanings: The poker one, meaning that you are fully committed to a course of action, putting everything at risk. Then there's the meaning of "totally exhausted," as in, "I was all in after climbing Mt. Washington." I guess the two meanings have in common that you're kind of at the end of the line, deprived at least possibly of any chance of continuing, in both.

Then there's the similar," She was all up in my business," but I really don't wanna speculate as the underlying metaphor there.
Thanks for the formal education, but I was being facetious. :p We have to go through the "all in" conversation or the "Brady doesn't have enough weapons" talk every off season. Cooks and Allen spared is the latter this off season. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back