PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Looking back at key points on the game (making my self feel better)

Status
Not open for further replies.

festy1986

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
I accepted that the Pats lost, and although Im in the camp that its all on the offensive play calling, I think even with how bad it was and the proper plays weren't called to take advantage of the pressure being tossed there way I think that it was still good enough to win, mostly because we got way more out of the defense then we should of ever expected.

First lets get this out of the way, EVERY thing that happened on that last drive was a fluke, Asante never misses balls that hit his hands, QBs never avoid a sack when you have him in your hands not once, not twice but three times on the same play, (except maybe to the Pats quite a few times this year) WR never catch balls that bounce off there head like that, not when Rodney is there to knock it out.

That was just a flat out luck job, and that’s all they needed, any Giant fan who says that all happened because talent or superior talent or anything other then things bouncing there way is lying, but its part of the game.

But my mind is racing on how the smallest things change the entire game, I just cant seem to let it go.

Since I already said all the things that went wrong on that last defensive play, lets move onto offense.

I should point out, that with 3 time outs, 30 seconds is plenty of time to do what the Pats needed to be done, but not completing one pass made this impossible, and getting sacked instead of Brady at least trying to throw the ball somewhere to avoid that sack obviously hurt more then anything.

But that first play, with Moss on the left being doubled and Welker running down the middle to keep everyone honest, Gaffney was WIDE open, this play should of been called again, Brady didn’t have the time he needed, but if he had this play assuming Gaffney catches the ball, could of essentially ended it, cause a pass over the top or even in stride was there for the taken, but that ball was so badly throwing I thought he was trying to hit Welker.

And the play with Moss, this ball is a completed pass if it isn't for Webster incredible effort. But I look at it like this, if it's six inches higher, it hits Moss in the hands and avoids Webster all together, and He ends up on the 10 yard line, with about 10 seconds left and two time outs. The game is completely in the Pats hands at that point if it happens. Aikman says asking that much from even Brady is too much, at some point you just run out of arm strength, which is true, which is why I went back to check it out, Brady had two more yards before he got to the line of scrimmage, which if he even used just one of them, you have a whole new story.

As good as Maroney was during the few kickoffs he had, I think I put Hobbs back there, with his speed and potential motivation to make up for what just happened to him, I take that chance, Maroney has been known to make bone head plays, and quite frankly sometimes I question if he knows what he’s doing.

I know this post is meaningless and we should move on, but this will definitely help me forget how much the Pats lost this game more then the Giants won it, and just proves, that the game is a game of inches.

And forget the whole pressure to go 19-0 playing a part, it couldn’t of had, the media with the undefeated stuff calmed down considerably after the regular season was over, and I never once thought about it during the playoffs, cause in the playoffs someone always goes undefeated. But I wish Asante made that catch, it would of been week 17 all over again.

The Giants played well but they also got all the breaks.

Festy, you know what? You are exactly right. I have been mulling it over and over and I keep whining to myself (rather than here) about how bad we played and how good the Giants played. You show another perspective that is so very true. Just ONE change in that fluke final drive of the Giants , (or within our 30 seconds of usual amazingness) could have changed EVERYTHING.... Puts it in better perspective for me.

You have pulled me out of the ditches! I don't know how to thank you. :rocker:

The Giants played well but they also got all the breaks.

You tend to get the breaks when your team is the aggressor, it always seems to work out that way. But I have to admit, after both Rodney and Asante had interceptions bounce off their hands, I had a feeling that something bad was a-brewin.

The killer play was the Houdini sack escape and superbowl miracle catch by Tyree, had that play not happened and the chances of that play not happening are probably like 90%, then this game is in the bank. There is no way the Giants go down the field and score after that sack.

This was extremely hard, this was brutally tough on my inner soul to swallow. I literally got all of 1 hour and 45 minutes sleep Sunday night and had to force myself out of bed to get to work. What an empty feeling I had the entire day on Monday sitting there staring at my computer in a complete fog. Clips of the game running through my head the entire day:

What if Asante just caught that ball ?

Why didn't Eli just go down when 3 guys had him, most other QB's would have went down ?

If you were going to pick off one of the 5 balls that went into your hands this season Brandon, why couldn't it be the one that could have gave us our perfect season and claim to greatness ?

Rodney, you are one of the toughest safeties in football, I thought I was seeing things, a scrawny little unknown WR, managed to keep you and your hands away from jarring out that football. A ball that seemed like it was literally stitched onto his hands. How in the world did that football not get jarred loose? I still can't believe it.

How did our coach or defensive cooridinator make a decision to leave our 5'9" corner isolated on an island against the Giants favorite red zone option, 6'5" Plaxico Burress? How did our coaches not account for this after all the game tape they've watched, knowing the Giants go to Plax 95% of the time in the redzone when they need a play? I know our coach is stubborn and he doesn't switch his CBs, but are you telling me that he couldn't have switched and put his best corner over on Plax inside of 40 seconds in the redzone. Is this too much to ask?

On the Brandon Jacobs 4th down run, I saw the penetration on the right side which slowed Jacobs inside and I thought it would have allowed enough weakside penetration to stop his progress. It did. Yet why was it 6 inches too late ?

Why did Pierre Woods allow a RB to roll him over and literally rip a critical fumble out of this hands when it would have given the Pats the ball on the Giant 30-yard line, in prime position to go up 14-3? Why would our LB allow that to happen?

I'll be honest, I sat and cried. It's Tuesday night and I'm a still a mess. This is hard, I just want each day to go by as quick as it can.

I was so confident given the fast track and warm climate that we were going to streamroll this team. And we should have. This just doesn't seem like it's real.

Yet with all this said, we're the favorites again next year, I can't wait for FA to begin and ofcourse the draft and ou #7 overall pick. Believe it or not, we are in prime position to make this great team even greater. So that's what will pull me thru. I guess we have to look at the last 3 years this way

Lost to Denver in divisional round
Lost to Indy in AFCCG
Lost to NYG in SB

Next year, we hit the top of the stairs.

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI, on the Hobbs coverage on Plaxico.

Here was the thought on the coverage, and result.

The Pats went to an all out Blitz. They were banking on Eli having Plaxico run a hot route to counter the Pass Rush. It was obvious the Pats were coming, so Hobbs took the inside away...

The idea was to sucker Eli into throwing an INT... However even a safety wouldn't have been able to get that unless they lined up near the sideline... it was a great ball thrown to the back corner.

If Eli felt the pressure and the Dline blew up the Oline then Hobbs might be still running towards the Endzone right now...

I accepted that the Pats lost, ...

I know this post is meaningless and we should move on, but this will definitely help me forget how much the Pats lost this game more then the Giants won it,

apparently, you don't know it, and haven't accepted it.
the pats should have never put themselves in that position to begin with, and they didn't make the plays while the giants did.
that's called playing football, and it's why they all show up.

the pats lost and the giants won.
you sound like a ****.

it's bad enough that I had to endure that loss w/o coming here and watching the fanbase turn into san diego fans the week after.

I agree with the OP.

It is true that the Patriots never should have put themselves in a position to lose the game

BUT he is right that several fluke/lucky occurrences happened on that last Giants drive.

That is all a part of the game and it ahs to be accepted, because when you put yourself in that position, the outcome becomes more of a tossup.

But all this PC stuff about how the Giants "smashed" the Patriots and completely outplayed them is pure BS designed to satisfy the NY media.

The truth is the Giants barely won and several fluke plays were part of that victory.

In the end winning is all tha matters no matter how it was accomplished.
Tyree's catch and Manning's throw were an example of amazing athletic play built on pure effort and desire.

FESTY -

you've made some fine points...and I agree with you and EOM on the fact that one or two plays made all the difference in the outcome and that was only because we put ourselves into that position.

Another point I have come to accept is the stars aligning for us on January 19, 2002. Can you imagine how the Raiders felt after the Tuck Game? They had the game won and had it taken away by an officiating decision. They probably still blame the officials for taking it away. Though bitterly, I prefer to lose fair and square to a mentally tough Giants team. A Houdini play by Eli and a great (lucky) catch on the other end is just one reason we lost. The other reasons being poor play calling/strategic adjustments and ineffective play of the O-Line. Oakland played a great game against us in terrible weather and it was all for naught because we got the benefit of the Tuck Rule.

Even after the Tuck Rule, the Dynasty has put themselves in perfect position to win by hard work and determination...and catching some nice breaks:
The elements helped us against Indy those 2004 & 2005 - if that game were indoors, I am not sure we win both so handily.
The ability to sledge hammer receivers and Marshall Faulk helped us in the SB - current rules would never allow it.
John Kasay kicked the ball out of bounds, helping our field position for Tom to drive us down the field for a 41yd FG to win the game.
McNabb lost his stomach at the worst time in a close Championship game - but we controlled that game from start to finish.

My point is not that we got lucky...but just that we've benefited from small things here and there to win THREE Superbowls! We worked equally hard and were even more talented this year, but a small break in the biggest game went against us.

It doesn't make me feel that much better, but maybe this is Karma from the Tuck Game...maybe it isn't. Maybe it is what it is.

Listening to Phil Simms on Mike and the Mad Dog...

He says Asante was looking down at his feet rather than at the ball as it was coming in. He says Asante jumped 6 inches on that play, and he has a 36 inch vertical.

Harrison had an easy INT.

He said the Giants ran a pick play illegally on the Steve Smith first down. I believe it was on Merriweather.

i know it just seems weird that how the game was played. I mean when they went for it on 4 and 13 instead of kicking the FG. before that play on 3rd down Brady got sacked. I remember saying to myself how they should go for a simple run and hope to get as much yards as possible. the key being not losing yards and then going for a FG that is closer instead of being from 49 yards out which is still makable.

and in the 4th quarter before the pats got the td. they left too much time on the clock. they should of tried atleast 1 or maybe 2 running plays. try to make the clock run down close to the 2 minute warning. and then there would of been less time on the clock when the giants get the ball.

im sure you guys think im wrong or its easy for me to say that now but I was saying that while I watched the game and not only that J.Mcdaniels called a horrible game on offense and should of made adjustments earlier in the game. there is no excuses.

i know it just seems weird that how the game was played. I mean when they went for it on 4 and 13 instead of kicking the FG. before that play on 3rd down Brady got sacked. I remember saying to myself how they should go for a simple run and hope to get as much yards as possible. the key being not losing yards and then going for a FG that is closer instead of being from 49 yards out which is still makable.

and in the 4th quarter before the pats got the td. they left too much time on the clock. they should of tried atleast 1 or maybe 2 running plays. try to make the clock run down close to the 2 minute warning. and then there would of been less time on the clock when the giants get the ball.

im sure you guys think im wrong or its easy for me to say that now but I was saying that while I watched the game and not only that J.Mcdaniels called a horrible game on offense and should of made adjustments earlier in the game. there is no excuses.

In real time, I was saying don't run. Don't try to run out the clock and leave yourself with a long 3rd and goal situation.

I was saying, please, please, please just try to score on every play.

Now that I know the result, I agree with you.

FYI, on the Hobbs coverage on Plaxico.

Here was the thought on the coverage, and result.

The Pats went to an all out Blitz. They were banking on Eli having Plaxico run a hot route to counter the Pass Rush. It was obvious the Pats were coming, so Hobbs took the inside away...

The idea was to sucker Eli into throwing an INT... However even a safety wouldn't have been able to get that unless they lined up near the sideline... it was a great ball thrown to the back corner.

If Eli felt the pressure and the Dline blew up the Oline then Hobbs might be still running towards the Endzone right now...

Regardless if that was infact the designed defensive play or not. That still doesn't prevent you from moving your best cover corner over to play Plaxico, what would have been so wrong about doing that. It's funny, because each team's best corner is always matched up with Moss, yet we for some reason, HAVE TO LEAVE OUR CORNERS ON THEIR SIDE OF THE FIELD. It's BB's rule, it's stubborn and it hurts the defense, because we can't match our best corner up with the opposing team's best wideout.

For example when we played the Colts, would it have been too hard to simply put Asante on Wayne and let Hobbs deal with Gonzo?

apparently, you don't know it, and haven't accepted it.
the pats should have never put themselves in that position to begin with, and they didn't make the plays while the giants did.
that's called playing football, and it's why they all show up.

the pats lost and the giants won.
you sound like a ****.

it's bad enough that I had to endure that loss w/o coming here and watching the fanbase turn into san diego fans the week after.

Your entitled to your opinion but I assure you I am not a ****.

I didnt even get up set when we lost, I was in total shock, winning so many games in a row, and losing, it was almost as if losing a regular game. But it wasn't, I tell you this now, if not for the 3 other SB we already have, this would of killed me, there would of been no way to cope with it.

But, the fact is, were not SD in here, were NE fans who realize that the calls for the most part and the bounces just did not go our way, if BB threw the red flag on that fumble the Pats clearly had in there possesion and down by contact, who knows what outcome were talking about.

But the Giants won, we did not.

Maybe heinsight is 20/20 but Hobbs should of kept Plax in front of him that whole time, instead of trying to beat him to the inside spot on the fake in route, keeping him in front of you makes it alot easier to knock that ball out on a hit then trying to defend a over the top floater.

Last edited:
I'm with you, festy.

We're not taking anything away from the Giants. They played well and made the plays they had to in order to win. As Tom Brady said, they are worthy NFL champions.

The funny thing to me - and the funny thing about football and sports in general - is how perception totally swings on the fate of one play.

The media write articles about this and that on how NE got outplayed, outcoached, dominated, etc., etc., etc.

And yet if Asante makes the pick, if Eli gets sacked, if Rodney knocks down the pass and NE makes the likely stop on 4th down, etc., etc., etc., etc. ... the perception totally changes. Suddenly Belichick looks like that much more of a defensive genius for shutting down the Giants better than most people had thought, more is made out of going 9 straight quarters in the playoffs without giving up a TD, more is added to the Brady legacy about improbably coming up huge in the clutch even though the Giants defense had played well for most of the game, more is made about how the 2007 Pats truly were unbeatable because now matter how well you play or even when you do shut down their offense for most of the game, you still can't beat them (kind of like in the San Diego game when Brady threw 3 INTs and NE still won by 9).

So it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST