PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lombardi @The Ringer . on why Pats are hard to beat

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Patriots Week logo is funny. Sad Jet fan.

bBYO280.png

Just a thought here,

It seem that during this off season and TC period, there have been a LOT of national articles that attempt to make clear just what has allowed the Pats to have this much success for so long. And it isn't just BB or Brady, or "cheating", or even superior talent. FINALLY, it's staring to become clear to the haters, qualifiers, and general NFL fandom, that what the Pats have done over the last 17 years, is not only special, but the product of hard work, dedication, and understanding that a great team can be better than the sum of its individual parts.

BTW- this was a another great article that is starting to show the average fan why their team doesn't match up with the Pats even though, their team has all the big names.

Unfortunately this isn't going to cause some seismic shift among haters, but its a start that will make it harder for them to spew their slander and nudge them toward reality

yup, and deferring has become the trend around the NFL now, more and more teams are doing it.

Bill LOVES to get the "wrap around scores" to break teams backs. Its a psychological and scoreboard killer to give up points right before and right after halftime

Long before you could defer, they let you do it in Madden, and I found that teams when I deffered, the way the timing works, I almost always had possession right at the end of the 1st half then again at the beginning of the 2nd.

If you watch football games, you will see that trend, teams consistently have two possession chances.

Links to podcast on pats, please? :)

I know it isn't exactly what you asked, but the "Patriots Week" links are: Patriots Week

As far as the Patriots related podcasts, Michael Lombardi talks about the Patriots and BB (and other things of course) in virtually all of his "GM Street" Podcasts on The Ringer. Unfortunately the "GM Street" podcasts are mixed up with a bunch of other not-so-great podcasts on "The-NFL_Show" on The Ringer. I suggest looking up: https://www.theringer.com/the-nfl-show and then click on the ones that say "GM Street", those are the ones where Lombardi talks about being a NFL General Manager (GM), with numerous Patriot and BB references and examples.

Last edited:
Just a thought here,

It seem that during this off season and TC period, there have been a LOT of national articles that attempt to make clear just what has allowed the Pats to have this much success for so long. And it isn't just BB or Brady, or "cheating", or even superior talent. FINALLY, it's staring to become clear to the haters, qualifiers, and general NFL fandom, that what the Pats have done over the last 17 years, is not only special, but the product of hard work, dedication, and understanding that a great team can be better than the sum of its individual parts.

BTW- this was a another great article that is starting to show the average fan why their team doesn't match up with the Pats even though, their team has all the big names.

Unfortunately this isn't going to cause some seismic shift among haters, but its a start that will make it harder for them to spew their slander and nudge them toward reality

There is another overlooked institutional advantage. The Owner, is well financed, is a fan, but has learned to be concerned only with non football decisions.

Only the Pats employ a Chief of Football Operation executive, who is also a superior CAPologist. He also happens to be the de jure Head Coach and de facto General Manager as well.

By the very definition, there can be no divisive power struggles between the Head Coach and General manager, as he is one and the same man. The talented Chargers of the mid 2000s tore themselves apart, over the war between both a good Coach and a good GM.

And many other teams were destroyed by not quite as visible differences. Some GM's just draft players that don't fit the Coaches plans. That is as a big a drawback as any verbal war between the two.

Among big time Coaches, Only the Alabama Coach exercises such wide spread control and demonstrated talent in all three phases of his football operation. That is why he is my inside choice if a succession should be needed.

There is another overlooked institutional advantage. The Owner, is well financed, is a fan, but has learned to be concerned only with non football decisions.

Only the Pats employ a Chief of Football Operation executive, who is also a superior CAPologist. He also happens to be the de jure Head Coach and de facto General Manager as well.

By the very definition, there can be no divisive power struggles between the Head Coach and General manager, as he is one and the same man. The talented Chargers of the mid 2000s tore themselves apart, over the war between both a good Coach and a good GM.

And many other teams were destroyed by not quite as visible differences. Some GM's just draft players that don't fit the Coaches plans. That is as a big a drawback as any verbal war between the two.

Among big time Coaches, Only the Alabama Coach exercises such wide spread control and demonstrated talent in all three phases of his football operation. That is why he is my inside choice if a succession should be needed.

Interesting post. I share your high regard for Saban, although IMHO he hasn't demonstrated (at least yet) that he could be a top NFL coach (of course, there was a time when that was true of BB also).

Regarding him as a successor to BB, I get what you are saying, he has a similar impact in college football to that of BB in pro football. Good point. However, although he doesn't look it, Nick Saban is actually OLDER than BB, by about 6 months, so it isn't like he would be a long term solution, even if he decided to leave Alabama for the NFL (which would shock me at his age).

I know it isn't exactly what you asked, but the "Patriots Week" links are: Patriots Week

As far as the Patriots related podcasts, Michael Lombardi talks about the Patriots and BB (and other things of course) in virtually all of his "GM Street" Podcasts on The Ringer. Unfortunately the "GM Street" podcasts are mixed up with a bunch of other not-so-great podcasts on "The-NFL_Show" on The Ringer. I suggest looking up: https://www.theringer.com/the-nfl-show and then click on the ones that say "GM Street", those are the ones where Lombardi talks about being a NFL General Manager (GM), with numerous Patriot and BB references and examples.
As well as working with the legendary Al Davis (before he lost it) and the great Bill Walsh.

Interesting post. I share your high regard for Saban, although IMHO he hasn't demonstrated (at least yet) that he could be a top NFL coach (of course, there was a time when that was true of BB also).

Regarding him as a successor to BB, I get what you are saying, he has a similar impact in college football to that of BB in pro football. Good point. However, although he doesn't look it, Nick Saban is actually OLDER than BB, by about 6 months, so it isn't like he would be a long term solution, even if he decided to leave Alabama for the NFL (which would shock me at his age).

The only place Nick Saban has not dominated is the NFL. But he was wise enough to recognize that BB had too much of a head start at NE, and Miami would always be second best.

So he dealt himself out of a losing proposition. But I'll bet it grates on his soul. The one football land he never conquered. I'd bet he would take the challenge, even if it was only for a few years.

There podcast has Bill Simmons and his friend talking about their favorite Patriots wins:

Belichick’s 25 Greatest Patriots Wins, From 25 to 1

He's not the most knowledgeable fan compared to some but if you like him moderately or better it'll probably be a fun listen. I haven't listened to it yet, it's long.

There podcast has Bill Simmons and his friend talking about their favorite Patriots wins:

Belichick’s 25 Greatest Patriots Wins, From 25 to 1

He's not the most knowledgeable fan compared to some but if you like him moderately or better it'll probably be a fun listen. I haven't listened to it yet, it's long.

I'm not a huge Simmons fan, but I listened to this and it was a lot of fun. It's just two guys laughing it up having a good time talking about the Pats beating people in hilarious ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back