PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

lolphins: Mike Tannenbaum takes over football operations

I dunno, living out in LA I watched a bunch of Sanchez in his one year starting at USC, and I was near positive that he would be a bust. To this day, I'll never understand how anyone watched his college tape and thought that he would be an effective pro QB. His only chance to make it as a pro would have been to go somewhere where his entire decisionmaking process could be broken down and reassembled, and at that point you kinda have to question if it's even worth the effort.

To the extent that he hasn't been awful in Philly--and he has been bad in a nearly QB-proof system that requires him to make zero complex reads or especially quick decisions--the little bit of good is still far outweighed by the unfathomably awful turnovers. He just sucks, and he always will.

I would agree that Tannenbaum coincided with hte high point of the Jet franchise, but it simultaneously must be acknowledged that the high point wasn't even all that good. A barely-over-.500 team twice got just a tiny bit hot, won a couple games, and made it a round or so further than they reasonably should have. That two year stretch would be considered the definitive low point over the past 15 years if it happened to the Pats.

I don't think Tannenbaum was the worst GM. Plenty of GMs have destroyed their salary cap, and he at least had a few good draft picks to go along with it. But if we're dishing out credit for the meager success that the Jets had from 2008-2011, even then I think Rex deserves most of it.
You are right, success is certainly relative when you compare the Pats and Jets. And you could very well right in your assessment of of Sanchez. I was just trying to make a small point to those who might greet the news of Tanny's hiring with the Dolphins, with knee jerk reactions of blanket condemnation like we tend do with all things concerning the Jets. The truth is, like in most cases, not so black and white.

You are right, success is certainly relative when you compare the Pats and Jets. And you could very well right in your assessment of of Sanchez. I was just trying to make a small point to those who might greet the news of Tanny's hiring with the Dolphins, with knee jerk reactions of blanket condemnation like we tend do with all things concerning the Jets. The truth is, like in most cases, not so black and white.

I NEVER knee jerk react to anything ex-Jets do in the NFL. I expect at the worst an incremental INCREASE in their production for whatever organization they move to. In Tannenbaum's case,he's a professional with experience in the AFC East..a ton of experience. This has to be a good thing for the Phins.

As far as the Jets go however, I will CONTINUE to print "blanket condemnations" and will also insist on seeing things in a purely black and white way, as the truth is the JETS SUCK. Period. No grey area. Pure suck.

Tannenbaum had two great drafts (2006 and 2007) and then mostly crap other than Mo Wilkerson and a small handful of others for the his tenure. He wasted two top ten picks (Vernon Gholston and Mark Sanchez). Tannenbaum lived off his reputation for his two home run drafts for about three to four years.

I still think the funniest thing about this is that Philbin will report directly to Stephen Ross and Tannebaum will have no authority over him. I can't wait for Philbin starts going up the back stairs to Ross' office to complain about Tannebaum.

If I am correctly comprehending this move, the Dolphins will be super competitive for about two years then fall to somewhere around the Buffalo Bills status of non-threatening.

I mean how AWESOME is this AFC East! The gift that keeps on giving

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back