PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Logan Ryan was a beast tonight!!! (edit: How do you suppose we replace his production? + POLL)

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

How do the Patriots replace Logan Ryan's production once he hits free agency this offseason?

• Draft a prospect in this year's highly anticipated defensive back class

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • Get a veteran cornerback via free agency or trade (please name who)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • RE-SIGN THE BEAST!!!! Find a way to get Ryan to accept a team-friendly extension

Votes: 14 60.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have always thought of Ryan as a good #2 CB. He is what a #2 CB looks like these days in the NFL usually. Very few teams have a Talib/Harris situation with 2 legit guys.

Ryan is inconsitent. At times he can approach #1 levels and at time he is borderline #3. He certainly is a bit of a streaky player but I wonder how common that is about non #1 CBs. Probably more common than we think. It would be unfortunate to lose Ryan but this be the year to do it. This may be the best CB draft ever.

The number for Ryan that is fair is 5M per year. That is what #2's make and what he is. I would even go as high as 6M per year just cause of how integrated he is here. That being said If he wants 7+ go elsewhere. I just don't have the confidence due what i have seen to believe he has turned some kind of corner. This is what he is. He is a hot then cold CB. You don't over pay for that guy.

We are just such critical fans and forget how dominant he can be sometimes when he struggles. Right now is a very good time for him to get on a hot streak obviously.

Last edited:
I actually think they re-sign Ryan. He is versatile (plays outside and slot) and has been reliable. Seems like a smart player. Him with Butler is a good duo. Hopefully they keep Eric Rowe as well. Cyrus Jones is unknown but maybe he will pan out. I'd like to see more of Jonathan Jones at corner. He was good in college in coverage.

I still wonder if they think Ryan has any safety versatility. There was a rumor at one point of a McCourty/Ryan pairing, but Chung and Harmon prevented that. It'd be hard to pay Ryan #2 CB money to be a #3 guy, but a bit easier if they think he can take Harmon's big nickel cover 2 snaps too. Obviously, they'd still need a dime DB since the #3 safety and #3 corner can only be the same guy when only one is on the field at a time.

Patriots may take look with Logan Ryan at safety (March 2014)

#RutgersMafia

I truly wonder, given the chemistry of our secondary and Belichick's system of team defense and communication, if preserving our core of veteran defensive players would itself be worth resigning Ryan?

The amount of time it's taken to develop and establish this difference, I would hate to let Ryan walk and have to start from scratch at the CB position -a position that's notoriously difficult to find elite or solid players.

His knowledge of the system and tackling ability is something that Belichick, and should be willing to make into a salary priority this offseason, provided it doesn't disrupt our team economics.

Like everything else in a salary capped world it comes down to money. If ryan is willing to be paid like a very good #2 around 5 Or 6 mil IMO then of course I want him to stay. Anything over that, and I am assuming there will be some CB needy team who mistakes him as a #1 and gives him one of those 9-10 mil contract, goodbye see ya later. Butler is clearly the #1 corner and he should be seeing 10-12 mil a year. Ryan is good but not elite and that kind of coin is for elite players. So I voted replace him in the draft and would say the same for Harmon. Its an unfortunate side effect of the salary cap sometimes you have to let very good but not excellent players go. Its what makes the pats run so remarkable. Every year they reload and remake the team without missing a beat.

Having Ryan re-sign to a new contract makes a ton of sense in that he is already integrated into the secondary. Jones progressing next year bears watching. Butler definitely needs to be resigned to make this a solid secondary for a few more years....lets BB concentrate on other areas of need,

I faith that Bill would be able to replace Ryan if he were to leave.

As much as I complain about some of the transactions that are made on defense it's tough to argue with the results.

After 2014 they did not retain Revis, Browner, and Arrington. What championship contending team loses their top 3 cornberbacks in this pass happy league and STILL remains in championship consideration? The Pats

I'll admit, I thought Jamie Collins was the exception. That guy has absurd talent that just can't be replaced.......or so I thought. The Pats just keep getting it done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back