PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lobby for draft rule change

In the last twenty years there has only been one number one overall draft pick that went on to win a Super Bowl.

That statistic flies in the face of the theory that tank-mode is a good game plan.
And could the reason for that be because they are building a team with top 5 draft picks every year and the rosters becomes top heavy. Changing that and giving them the picks in the 15 range enables a more balanced better growth cap wise and then they get the top 5 pick that puts them into playoff contention.

I would be fine with a limited weighted lottery like the NBA where the worst team has the best odds but is still unlikely to get the top pick. All non playoff teams are in it but only the first 3 or 4 picks are up for grabs then it goes back to normal order. I do not think many teams are purposely tanking like the NBA and they need the additional resources to try and turn things around so I prefer them to be rewarded with higher picks. I do think some of the bottom feeders would be better off packaging top picks for multiple later picks to turn things around.

Create a B league and demote the bottom teams to it.
The relegation system used in European "football" is diabolically brilliant.
The bottom rung of the tables literally fight for their financial lives with many of the players equally invested in their team's future.
It's both tragic and compelling.......and certainly a lot more interesting than watching 3rd string passers (or QB sneak artists) get snaps in a meaningless week 17 game.

The "Sunderland Til I die" documentary series on Netflix captures the drama and agony of relegation

Last edited:
This ain’t it. A lottery system will also never happen in the NFL.
right, because you know you could 100% trust the NFL to have a fair lottery. Without a doubt, 1000%.
sarcastic sarcasm GIF

Any team that finishes last and doesn't win the ping pong war........."Goodell fixed it against us......." In the Patriots case it would probably be true. :rofl:

Noooooo, the NBA is a nightmare with the lottery system. I can see maybe top 3 being random but top 15? Yuck

right, because you know you could 100% trust the NFL to have a fair lottery. Without a doubt, 1000%.
sarcastic sarcasm GIF
The people who want a lottery will be the first people crying that the fix is in when their team doesn’t get #1 overall after a really bad year.

The people who want a lottery will be the first people crying that the fix is in when their team doesn’t get #1 overall after a really bad year.
They are never going to be #1 overall as long as the Krafts own this team. The Steelers would be the model that the family will follow, be consistently competitive. The Steelers last picked #1 overall in 1970, selecting Terry Bradshaw.

They are never going to be #1 overall as long as the Krafts own this team. The Steelers would be the model that the family will follow, be consistently competitive. The Steelers last picked #1 overall in 1970, selecting Terry Bradshaw.
That’s fine. I was just offering a general commentary on the “change everything” crowd, which extends far beyond New England. As a comparison, there was absolutely nothing wrong with sudden death overtime. You have a 50/50 shot of getting the ball first and, even if you don’t, your D still has a shot to make a stop. But that wasn’t fair enough. So they instituted the new overtime rules. Oh wow! How great. Very fair...

Until Patty Mahomes couldn’t get the ball in OT because his defense couldn’t hold the lowly 2018 Patriots offense to a field goal. For the most part, nearly every rule change that has been instituted during the Goodell Er(ror)a has been terrible. A lottery would be no exception.

Appreciate the creativity but **** no.

That’s fine. I was just offering a general commentary on the “change everything” crowd, which extends far beyond New England. As a comparison, there was absolutely nothing wrong with sudden death overtime. You have a 50/50 shot of getting the ball first and, even if you don’t, your D still has a shot to make a stop. But that wasn’t fair enough. So they instituted the new overtime rules. Oh wow! How great. Very fair...

Until Patty Mahomes couldn’t get the ball in OT because his defense couldn’t hold the lowly 2018 Patriots offense to a field goal. For the most part, nearly every rule change that has been instituted during the Goodell Er(ror)a has been terrible. A lottery would be no exception.
I knew you were offering general commentary. I was more or less pointing out to the same folks that we can change chit all day, it's not going to affect the Pats in a positive manner ever.

The music is annoying AF but the quote is there.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back