PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lobby for draft rule change

Big Bucks

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Is it time the NFL changes how it gives out draft picks.. since the Colts tanked its season for Andrew Luck the race for the #1 overall pick has become the storyline most NFL fans do not want to see every year. The trust in teams is an all time low due to what is happening on the field with these teams losing, it literally has become an art for teams.

So for me it's time for a change.. make teams earn the #1 overall pick.

Keep the playoff teams in there usual position with the last picks of the draft round, that being this year 19 to 32.

Then reverse the norm, the best team not to make the playoff wins the #1 pick. make the league more exciting so that every game matters, the more the lower teams try to win the better for the league, better for the spectacle, better for us fans. So now the team that has the worst record has the 18th pick... this is a good thing for that team IMO the cost of always picking top 5 picks becomes prohibitive taking players at this point will enable teams to grow slowly and with prudence.. then when they are half decent then maybe they can win that #1 pick that can tip them over to become a playoff team for a few seasons.

Would love this to be talked about as a possible change in the next team meetings, but if they did it would suggest teams are tanking.. which is like the elephant in the room on a Sunday.

As a team that clearly tried to be above tanking maybe it could be a reason why the Patriots could motion the change.

So with this theory the Patriots would have had 4th overall and Miami 1st overall, but chances are more teams would have tried to win and reality is skewed.

thanks for reading

Wait it's time to do something because of an event that may or may not have happened 9 years ago?

The way to change it is have players not reward bad teams.

Wait it's time to do something because of an event that may or may not have happened 9 years ago?
No, its just the timeline from when teams were not hiding the fact in my opinion.. now we have a competition

This ain’t it. A lottery system will also never happen in the NFL.

I would say randomize every 5 or 6 spots. So bottom 6 anybody could get number 1 . So the tank could not necessarily work.

In the last twenty years there has only been one number one overall draft pick that went on to win a Super Bowl.

That statistic flies in the face of the theory that tank-mode is a good game plan.
its actually two iirc

...since the Colts tanked its season for Andrew Luck the race for the #1 overall pick has become the storyline most NFL fans do not want to see every year.
Yet they love talking about it....or writing 8 paragraph dissertations.
Is this what they call a "juxtaposition" ......or is it a "conundrum" ?

Create a B league and demote the bottom teams to it.

Create a B league and demote the bottom teams to it.
buy the CFL?

teams do bad, ship em off to play their home games in Tuktoyaktuk?

an idea worth considering, perhaps

In the last twenty years there has only been one number one overall draft pick that went on to win a Super Bowl.

That statistic flies in the face of the theory that tank-mode is a good game plan.

its actually two iirc

Eli (though should he actually count, since he was drafted by the Chargers?)

Cam and Jared Goff are number one overalls that made it to the SB, but lost.

All the other number ones I can think of were drafted more than 20 years ago (Peyton, Elway, Aikman, Plunkett, Bradshaw; technically Bledsoe too.)

Did I miss someone?

All the other number ones I can think of were drafted more than 20 years ago (Peyton, Elway, Aikman, Plunkett, Bradshaw; technically Bledsoe too.)

Did I miss someone?
eric fischer... OT 2013 KC Chiefs went 1 overall

Did I miss someone?

Eli definitely counts as a #1 overall pick, but I get your point. The team that "tanked" (I don't think the Chargers did, but for the sake of argument) didn't even get the guy who ended up winning the Super Bowl, because he refused to play for them. That's not a victory for tanking by any means.

I always thought it would be cool if the minute a team was mathematically eliminated from playoff contention each win after would help towards a better pick. Obviously there would be a bunch of math and scenarios built in but it would elimate tanking and add a ton of strategy to those fringe teams down the stretch.

I always thought it would be cool if the minute a team was mathematically eliminated from playoff contention each win after would help towards a better pick. Obviously there would be a bunch of math and scenarios built in but it would elimate tanking and add a ton of strategy to those fringe teams down the stretch.

I had a similar idea, where you order the draft based on the week they were eliminated from playoff contention. That way, in theory, if a team is still mathematically alive, it's harder for them to make the decision to tank. But once they're eliminated, there's no incentive to lose on purpose because their pick is locked in. It's got it's own issues as an idea, but it maintains the theory that the worst teams need the most help.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back