PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lob passes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halifax_Pats_Fan

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
...this is the one thing that has gotten me sick about this team in the recent past.

In come the Ravens and that is all Flacco does nowadays.

They get me ill and you know they are coming, lots of them.

Joe is gonna lob it up there and let their wideouts go up and get it. I can see it now.

We need to be able to defend these throws and increase our chances Sunday.

How are we gonna defend these passes (which include the obvious fades)?

Bracket Smith with Talib & McCourty, if Flacco wants to be stupid enough to throw the ball into what is essentially 2 CBs in coverage, let him. If it works for them then good play if not I'm sure CBS will enjoy the extra time for commercials coming from the ensuing turnover.

Boldin might be a bigger problem though, Dennard will have to play very well to keep him contained.

Our secondary has no chance.

Best bet is pass rush Flacco like flies on 5hit.

Last edited:
I'm watching NFL right now and seeing Baltimore's tying TD at the end of regulation made me think of the whole "turn around" debate on pass coverage. My understanding is the Pats train DBs to keep their eyes on the receiver foremost; seems to me with that sort of emphasis that final TD doesn't happen (not that such emphasis always prevents bad plays).

I'm watching NFL right now and seeing Baltimore's tying TD at the end of regulation made me think of the whole "turn around" debate on pass coverage. My understanding is the Pats train DBs to keep their eyes on the receiver foremost; seems to me with that sort of emphasis that final TD doesn't happen (not that such emphasis always prevents bad plays).

You're right. a TD (or a catch) don't happen....

.... a defensive pass interference inside the 5 yard line, does.... :mad:

It's hard to imagine Flacco having 3 straight good games. I believe I read somewhere he has 675 yards, 5 TD's, 0 INT's in these playoffs. He's beyond due and this will be the best defense he's faced of the 3 (Denver's is largely overrated, they played nobody). Smith has had too much success on this team but it was inferior secondaries and you know BB will focus on him. The secondary we have now boasts 2 different starting CB's than the ones we had the last 2 times and much improved at safety. I honestly have alot of faith in our D this week, even more if Chandler is able to get back.

When I was a kid there was this guy that would always smother-cover me by looking at my eyes. To counter this, I was able to perfect a method in which I made my eyes look up and "see" the ball was coming, when he would turn away from me and look for the ball, that is when I'd run in another direction and get wide open. Worked like a charm. (I hope the Ravens don't read this message--LOL)

McCourty will be key in this game. He's gotta keep an eye out for Torrey Smith.

What worries me is the pass rush. I don't think we got to Schaub once last night. He got hit after the throw a couple times, but no sacks.

Perhaps we should just raise a white flag and forfeit the game..

McCourty is the man. He's the only one with the speed to keep Smith from going over the top.

of course, you have to defend against everything, that being the BB answer, but those lob passes have been their bread and butter lately.

We need to find a way...

What worries me is the pass rush. I don't think we got to Schaub once last night. He got hit after the throw a couple times, but no sacks.

No but he was hurried a few times. And it seems to me that the focus was on Foster.

Solid gameplan considering what Schaub is.

Sacks is only ...a stat....containment and making Schaub release it when he is not ready is the key

of course, you have to defend against everything, that being the BB answer, but those lob passes have been their bread and butter lately.

We need to find a way...

Since when does Flacco scare anybody? That ******* Broncos D was way overrated to begin with and they played horrible. Champ Bailey looked like he was 50, Von Miller looked far from this supposedly elite passrusher and i have no idea what Rahim Moore was thinking on that play.

And our D is not the same as it was in the first meeting.

BB wouldve taken a time out before the 3rd down and set the defense correctly unlike jack del rio in that case.

Throwing deep to the right...
4 for 8, 184 yards, 3 TDs, 0 Int, Rating 135

Throwing deep up the middle...
0 for 1 (Smith was WIIIIIIIIIIIDE open though)

Throwing deep to the left...
0 for 2

All other passes...
14 for 23, 147 yards, 0 TDs, 0 Int, Rating 79

I was born at night, but it wasn't last night. I believe my pre-teen daughter could devise a defense to counter this. Put Dennard against Smith/Jones on the defensive left and Talib against Boldin. Tell Gregory to stay deep on the defensive left hash and give him the singular responsibility of not letting anyone get behind him on that side. Flacco is much more effective throwing to the right so make him look someplace else.

In the game in September, Flacco picked on Arrington and Chung. On Sunday, that will become much more difficult to do unless they legalize forward passes on special teams.

Aside from containing Rice, which I think they can do, I think this game may come down to our secondary capitalizing on their opportunities to get interceptions -- because they're going to exist, in part due to these passes. I like our chances a lot more now than at the start of the year.

...this is the one thing that has gotten me sick about this team in the recent past.

In come the Ravens and that is all Flacco does nowadays.

They get me ill and you know they are coming, lots of them.

Joe is gonna lob it up there and let their wideouts go up and get it. I can see it now.

We need to be able to defend these throws and increase our chances Sunday.

How are we gonna defend these passes (which include the obvious fades)?

I agree this is where we are going to be most vulnerable. The good thing is we have Talib and Denard now, and McCourty at safety. I know we didn't have Talib for the first game this year, and I can't remember if Denard played then, but no way he was as experienced as he is now. If our guys can keep up and stay in position, those lobbed balls can become INTs. That's what we have to hope for. If Smith can get behind our guys like he did Champ Bailey, we are in for a long day.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes