PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

List of College sateties who became NFL starting cornerbacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just reading the tea leaves... My take on Meriweather is that when the Pats drafted him they really thought he could transition to cb in the NFL. But they were a bit disappointed in his athleticism once they saw him on an every day basis. He was not obviously dynamic the way Griffin appeared in the Tennessee preseason game. This was reflected in Fred Smerlas comments as the season began, where he implied Meriweather hadn't really earned his roster spot but was there merely due to his draft status. Fred got that from somewhere, probably his buddy Pats' lawyer Jack Mula. I think Brandon sensed that he had somehow failed, and as a result lost his confidence and went into a bit of a shell. This hurt his progress early in the season. He finally transitioned back to his natural position, got his sea legs under him and began to play with confidence by playoff time. His talent was visible and encouraging.
The one area here in which I disagree, and which applies somewhat to the main topic of the thread, is whether training a rookie DB at CB necessarily means you intend to develop as a pure CB.

When asked about this (sorry, have no quotes, but I'm sure most of you will remember) BB said that the way in which he trains a rookie often has more to do with the best order to instill confidence and specific skills. CB is an easier position mentally than safety, so it's the first position he teaches a DB. As a CB, you don't have to make the calls for the secondary, you don't have to put other players in position.

I realize BB will say things to protect his players, but I'm inclined to take him at his word. M was practiced at CB to develop coverage skills at NFL speed. Yes, Asante was holding out at the time, but I also remember how many times Wilson played CB when the secondary was banged up, so I'm inclined to take BB at his word. A FS needs training at CB. He did it with Wilson every year. Doesn't mean he intends to switch him to LCB and have him cover Lee Evans.

There is a much bigger difference in skill set from playing cornerback in the NFL than safety. From hip flexibility to back pedaling technique to turn and run ability, a cornerbacks job is far more demanding in the NFL than free safety. Heck, I didn't even mention the ability to plant and drive when reversing direction.

But Meriweather showed CB-type skills. He had a 4.33 short shuttle at the combine, a good judge of hip-turn. He sinks his hips and bends his knees in his backpedal, like a CB. He has the kind of balance and flexibility you see from a CB. One of his strengths coming out of Miami was playing in space and route-recognition. He showed the ability to anticipate the route and stay with a receiver.

The guy has CB-like skills, which is why some were projecting him to that position coming out of college. I think it is foolish to write him off as a CB based on some limited exposure to the position during his rookie training camp. I don't think you can say one way or another whether he can play there as a pro, but I do think you can say he has some skills that make you think he might be able to do so.

Not really the thread topic, but just a few points:

Belichick likes versatility in his players, especially on defense. It's this versatility that allows him to more creative in his schemes and packages. Injuries, gameplans, and in-game adjustments usually dictate who plays where and why. Having specific players practice different roles gives BB the confidence to use that player during game situations.

If, during any series, he wants Brandon to handle CB responsibilities, he'll be able to. If, Rodney is needed in a LB's role, he's capable. In the past, we've seen Law in a Safety's role during a specific series. During TC, Wilfork played DE. Hobbs as a rookie, was covering slot receivers - something he'd never done on the college level. And of course, there's the proven versatility of both AD and Vrabel. We can go on and on with examples of how valuable it is for BB to have versatile players.

IMHO, it seems like Brandon is better suited for Wilson's position -- not Rodney's role or Samuel's. In a pinch, BB knows he can rely on him to play CB (for whatever reason). But he needs to find at home at one position ONLY. He's still developing...so allow him to learn Wilson's role with as many reps as possible. Who on the roster is better suited?

Gay's role: It's already been filled by our non-starting CBs and perhaps a lower ranked rookie.

Samuel's role: Law perhaps, our current roster of CBs, and a high ranked rookie will all compete.

Side note: If you read all of the CB draft profiles, you'll find many stating, "better suited to play Safety at the next level, etc." Wouldn't surprise me if after we draft a higher ranked CB with starting potential, BB drafts one of these CB/S prospects for versatility purposes.

It obvious you wont find many.
College players that make it to the NFL are the best players on their teams, and the best athletes.
You put your best players at the most important position (why does the best kid always pitch and play ss in little league)
So if you have great G skills, you are a T in college. If you have great s skills you are are a corner in college. If you are a good LB, you end up in the middle, even if you are better at OLB, and so on.
I think the rumor of Meriwhether playing corner is stupid, and the only thing to back it up is Adam Shefter GUESSING that he thinks they might do it. Dangerous stuff, because the guy who is in the middle of reporting news (signings, cuts, etc) and almost always correct, can throw in a complete conjuecture with nothing to back it up but his internally created idea, and it gets lumped in and assumed as something that he got inside info on. That is not the case.

However, if there is going to be a college safety that could move to corner, it would probably be someone from Miami. Miami traditionally has more speed in the secondary (hell they have more speed at waterboy) of any college program.
Most safeties in college play safety because they cannot play corner. Its not at all unreasonable that a player at Miami is playing safety, not because he cant play corner, but because they are loaded at corner, and he has corner skills AND safeties skills, while their other corners are fast but not big or do not hit.

It isn't about listing what players have done in the past, they have nothing to do with Meriwhether. Its about understanding why (Most college safeties are safeities because they cannot be corners) and whether he is the exception (i.e. could have been a great college corner, but they had many more, and he was 'better' in that he was also the best safety).

Not saying this IS the case, but if it is there should be no problem playing him at corner.

By the way, isnt Randall Gay another case of college s who played cb in the NFL? IIRC, he lost his corner job due to injury and played safety as a Sr.

As for cornerbacks in the 2008 NFL Draft, I tend to believe my eyes when assessing the cornerback play of Brandon Meriweather during preseason.
So what? It was his first time playing in the NFL, and he was playing his second position. He showed some ability to cover the pass late in the season.

This thread is full of know-it-alls. I don't care who you saw play while they were still living; there's a reason Belicheck listed Meriweather as a corner on the depth chart late in the season and during the super bowl, and chances are pretty damn good it's because he thinks he can play that position. We don't need another starting safety until Harrison retires and Belicheck obviously wants to make use of Meriweather's talent, of which there is a great deal. He can help us out by spelling sanders and playing nickel or dime coverage.

Intersting reading regardless of one's position on the subject matter.

Pees on Meriweather's versatility, 8-13-07:

Q: How much has Brandon Meriweather's versatility helped you?

DP: So far, it hasn't helped us that much. It was just one preseason game. He did some good things and some not so good things. What we're trying to find out is whether he does have that versatility. I'm not going to sit here and tell you, "Oh yeah," he has all that versatility. That's what we're trying to find out. Now's the time to find that out before the season starts.

Q: Without having a lot of college corner experience, has Meriweather looked like a natural?

DP: He actually was a corner early on in his career. He hasn't always been a safety. So he was a corner and that's the reason why the guys who have started as our nickel back, that's really a corner-type guy. That's Hank Poteat. That's Ray Mickens, Randall Gay. It's been all those guys and yet at the same time they can play some safety. That's what we're really looking at him first to be a corner, but we're trying everywhere to really see what he's going to be. Like I said, now's the time to do it, not when the season starts.

http://www.patriots.com/games/index.cfm?ac=gamereportdetail&pid=27071&pcid=82

In the same presser, Pees on why Geno remained at safety:

Q: Is there a reason why Eugene Wilson hasn't seen any reps at corner like he did last year?

DP: I had some discussions with Bill [Belichick] in the offseason and really felt like...I was thinking cornerback back to '04, but I really liked him at safety. I really want to put him in a position and let him soak it in and let him learn that position he's played in the past. That's really been the reason. Just leave him alone. And we always know in an emergency situation we could put him in there. But we didn't want to do that as much.

Q: Some of your corners have said that the transition isn't so easy. What's the challenge for a safety like Wilson to move over?

DP: It's just actually easier schematically to play corner, it's just harder physically. I don't mean the demand or the punishment of taking a hit, it's that you're going to be locked on 1-on-1 with a really good wide receiver at some point in time and sometimes we can help you, sometimes we can't. Safeties, you can usually put wherever on whomever you want to cover, a tight end, a back. There's going to be a time when there's a corner that's going to be 1-on-1 and if you don't practice that all the time, every day, it's going to be hard for you say all of a sudden, " I'm a good man-to-man corner." Whereas, most times as a safety, you're going to be playing some kind of zone and they're in man, it's kind of a restricted situation. If you're a good defensive back you can learn play that. The hardest part of playing safety is playing run support.

BB on Wilson playing safety and CB and adressing the transition between the two positions, 12-03-04:

Q: Eugene Wilson, he was a little matter of fact about the switching from safety to cornerback. He said it wasn't a big deal. Is that a big deal or is that something that is a matter of fact thing?

BB: No, it's like we talked about many times. [With] some players, they could never make that [switch]. Other guys, it's no big deal. Eugene is a very flexible, as we've seen, person and a very flexible player. He can go in and out of things and transition almost seamlessly. It doesn't really affect him. It doesn't bother him. Like I've said, there are other players where there is no way. I'm not saying skill wise, I am just saying to go from this set of responsibilities and just look at the plays to all of a sudden a totally different one is not something that they would want to deal with.

Q: What is it in his skill set that has allowed him to come in and just really pick it up?

BB: Well, I think it's his natural skill set at corner, his size, his quickness, his athletic ability, and all of that. What gave him the ability to play safety is his tackling. You can't really put a corner at safety without the tackling issue coming up. You just can't avoid that. For a guy to play safety that isn't a good tackler, that is a problem. I think Eugene is a very good tackler for a corner. I think he has done a good job at tackling as a safety. If you have enough ability to play corner, you have enough athletic ability to play safety. I don't think that is going to be too much of a problem. The physical part of it, the tackling, the toughness, the run support, the dealing with the linemen, the fullbacks, the tight ends, the crack blocks all of those types of things that corners don't see as much of, that is a whole different ball game. He has handled that well. He plays physically and he tackles well.

Q: Is it safe to assume that the converse is true, that the safety doesn't necessarily have that flexibility to play corner?

BB: Well, no I wouldn't say that is necessarily true. Some do and some don't. Quite a few of them don't.

Q: Well, that pretty much all corners would have the athletic ability to play safety. Is that what you are saying?

BB: Again, if they have enough size. I don't think you want a 170 pound guy in there or a 175 pound guy. I think when you get to 195 [pound] range, guys that are in that range, and even taking some players like Aeneas Williams and Everson Walls and guys like that, going back, that were primarily corners, Rod Woodson, that had enough size to move inside. Not that they were 220 pound safeties, but enough to go in there [and] they could handle that. Woodson is kind of the prototype really. He is probably what, 210, 212 whatever he was. He was a huge corner and then maybe an average sized safety. But, he was just exceptionally big as a corner. It's just like we talked about a couple of weeks ago with Kansas City. All of their corners are safeties. [Eric] Warfield was a safety in college. [Jerome] Woods was a safety in college who they moved to corner but then they moved back to safety. [William] Bartee played safety in college at Oklahoma. That is not that unusual to take guys as college safeties and bump them outside. You wonder why their colleges didn't play them outside, but that is another matter.

Q: Did Wilson have safety experience in college?

BB: He didn't have any safety experience until Wednesday before the Philadelphia game.

Q: Since he played corner in college, was the transition moving back last week a little bit easier, just kind of brushing up on some skills?
BB: Well, he has been playing corner all year. Eugene and I and Eric [Mangini] and Romeo [Crennel], we talked about that at the beginning of the season, from training camp. 'You are going to get plays at safety. You're also going to take plays at corner and you're also going to work on your skills at corner and do one on one.' In that particular situation, which isn't true of a lot of other positions, but because corner is more isolated than almost every other position on the field, if the corner or the safety, whoever it is, just works on his corner skills in individual periods and one on ones and stuff like that, that can go a long way to being on the road to his team skills. Whereas an offensive guard, he can do one on one pass protection a thousand times per day. You can put all of those other guys there in front of him and pass gains with the tackle and the center and stunts and all of that, you have to have a lot of team work and cooperation and cooperative work in there in terms of blocking that. Not that there isn't a lot of team work at corner, but there is certain degree of isolation out there that you just don't have at most of the other positions as you get closer to the middle of the field or closer to the ball.

Q: When he has played safety he has delivered a lot of hard hits. I just wonder where it comes from because there probably aren't going to be a lot of chances to do that playing corner in college, to just flat-out level somebody.

BB: I thought Eugene was a very good tackler coming out. I thought he tackled probably as well if not better than every corner in the draft. That is part of why he moved into safety, because of what we had seen him do with his physical play as a corner in college. But, still, it's still a big adjustment, going from the outside and seeing all of the plays from the outside in, and then moving inside and basically seeing all of the plays from the inside out. You kind of have to change your processing mechanisms of what you see and your progression of what you're reading. It's different.

Q: I know there are probably one million different keys and reads to play at corner.

BB: I wouldn't say a million.

Q: Did he just hide it? The transition seemed so natural.

BB: Look, Eugene has gotten a lot better. He did a good job last year, but when he first started playing safety, there were still a lot of things fundamentally and reaction wise that were okay, but they have gotten a lot better. That's true if of any second year or third year player. Guys that are playing the same position, whether it is [Ty] Warren or whoever it is. By doing the same thing repetitively through a couple of years, a lot of practices in the same system, if you work hard at it, you can't help but get better and Eugene has gotten better. I think he started at a decent level, but he is a lot better of a player now than he was one year ago. I don't think it's even close.

Q: Given the fact that he is a young player and given how much you have given to him to learn, is he a bit of an anomaly?

BB: Eugene is very versatile and adapts very well and he is very smart. He is a really smart player. Things come easily to him and he reacts to them very quickly and he is instinctive. You get a different formation or a team does something that maybe we haven't seen in a while, 'How are we going to handle it,' he reacts to that naturally and instinctively. Whereas some players, when they see something that they haven't seen in awhile, they kind of freeze. They don't know exactly what to do or they hesitate and wait to see what somebody else is going to recommend how we handle it and what the adjustments is going to be. That stuff comes, and I'm not saying easy, but it's relatively easy to him. He gets it and does the logical instinctive thing.

Q: Were those qualities first evident when you were looking at him in college?

BB: Yes. From watching him play at Illinois, his junior year they played a lot of man-to-man coverage. You could really see his skills. You could see him play against good receivers, guys like [Deion] Branch at Louisville and in the Bowl games and so forth. Then, his senior year they went to much more of a zone-oriented scheme, played some quarter coverages and did more combination types of covering and things like that, which kind of took him a little bit out of maybe the focal point of just playing man-to-man, but you could see a lot of the scheming and combination types of things and seeing him in a different type of system. We use both. It was really kind of a unique [situation]. When they changed their defensive system and changed coordinators there going into his senior year, it was actually helpful from our standpoint to be able to see him doing a lot of different things and doing them pretty well. He returned punts. He's played on special teams, covered kicks. A lot of the things that he has done here, in one way or another, he did in college in those last two seasons in one way or another.
http://cachewww.patriots.com/mediacenter/index.cfm?ac=audionewsdetail&pid=9931&pcid=85

How about the paycheck? If they are at all a CB, they are going to want to go into the NFL as a CB for the money. No?

Nice finds WtW... certainly, I would defer to the coaches who do this for a living to determine if Meriweather can make the transition.

I see both sides of the argument on this one, and I agree the transition is usually a dificult one... but to speak in absolutes is somewhat foolish.

Merriweather for corner.

Perhaps we can get him a pair of Platform Shoes or Raised soles so he can reach the magic 6 feet mark?

Bumping this for Wotan's posts.

So what? It was his first time playing in the NFL, and he was playing his second position. He showed some ability to cover the pass late in the season.

This thread is full of know-it-alls. I don't care who you saw play while they were still living; there's a reason Belicheck listed Meriweather as a corner on the depth chart late in the season and during the super bowl, and chances are pretty damn good it's because he thinks he can play that position. We don't need another starting safety until Harrison retires and Belicheck obviously wants to make use of Meriweather's talent, of which there is a great deal. He can help us out by spelling sanders and playing nickel or dime coverage.
Meriweather did not play cornerback in the second half of the season. As for Rodney Harrison and James Sanders, both players will be unrestricted free agents in 2009.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back