PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How Can We Judge Whether Our Receivers Are Any Good?

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Stats are almost worthless when our QB's are so bad. BOB cannot even restrict his criticism to the privacy of team meetings and team discussions. The TV shots of the Kraft's in Germany was all telling. We have ZERO QB's who should be on the 53-man squad in 2023, unless Jones is the #4 until other teams decide whether to traded anything for him. I do see us keeing him unitl after the draft and then trading him. MAYBE, Zappe could still be worthy of a Practice Squad spot.
========
Seriously, how can we judge that the receivers are terrible or whether they any good at all. Can Thornton possibly be as bad as he looks? The vets can't be as bad as they look. A GM and coaches, perhaps different ones, will need to judge whether our current receivers should be in camp for the 2024 season. Only Douglas is a sure thing for 2024.

And, perhaps, Brown isn't all that terrible as acoach. Many, many folks have pointed out that there have been times when receivers have been wide open. Our QB's can't complete passes, and Mac's floaters are truly horrible and not worthy of an NFL QB.

Stats are almost worthless when our QB's are so bad. BOB cannot even restrict his criticism to the privacy of team meetings and team discussions. The TV shots of the Kraft's in Germany was all telling. We have ZERO QB's who should be on the 53-man squad in 2023, unless Jones is the #4 until other teams decide whether to traded anything for him. I do see us keeing him unitl after the draft and then trading him. MAYBE, Zappe could still be worthy of a Practice Squad spot.
========
Seriously, how can we judge that the receivers are terrible or whether they any good at all. Can Thornton possibly be as bad as he looks? The vets can't be as bad as they look. A GM and coaches, perhaps different ones, will need to judge whether our current receivers should be in camp for the 2024 season. Only Douglas is a sure thing for 2024.

And, perhaps, Brown isn't all that terrible as acoach. Many, many folks have pointed out that there have been times when receivers have been wide open. Our QB's can't complete passes, and Mac's floaters are truly horrible and not worthy of an NFL QB.
Watch the film.

There’s many guys who review film like Ted Johnson, Bedard, Perry, and others who have commented about how bad our WRs have been and not getting open.

Our offence is a gigantic **** storm that hit all together.

- Swiss cheese o-line who gives up quick pressure

- WRs who can’t get open

- QB who’s pressured with no one open makes bad decisions and loses confidence

Nothing is working with our passing game, and it comes down to a lack of talent at QB, WRs, and o-line

1701404825523.jpeg

Bourne ... Douglas of course

Do teams have interest in any of them .... that is a good barometer.
I would keep Bourne he plays hard ... within financial reason of course but then again.

========

One starter being an almost 31 has-been loser who drops everything and the other a disabled-in-spirit 27 yo who rarely sees the field, both of whom would have no free agent market, yet still being the preferred options, is a telling sign.

How'd BB's #1 WR N'Keal Harry work out with his 2 other teams?
FYI: Cut by the Vikings 3 days ago

Rule of thumb: If Bill handpicks a WR early in a draft, odds of failure are elevated.

Boney T concurs

You can tell if a receiver is good. You acting like no one has ever seen a receiver perform with bad QB play before.

Douglas seems to be doing just fine. Jakobi Meyers did just find with now his 4th QB.

Mike Evans for example was good before Brady, with Brady and after Brady..

Thornton is just bad. When have you seen a WR be bad then go to another team and become a star? Never happens especially with the Patriots. I can go down the list of guys.

You can tell if a receiver is good. You acting like no one has ever seen a receiver perform with bad QB play before.

Douglas seems to be doing just fine. Jakobi Meyers did just find with now his 4th QB.

Thornton is just bad. When have you seen a WR be bad then go to another team and become a star? Never happens especially with the Patriots. I can go down the list of guys.

Parker, Shuster and Boutte may not be very "good", but they would likely be serviceable #3's for one of the AFC playoff QB's and perhaps even others.

Some may go so far as to believe that of Thornton. I think that is a major leap; it seems he is simply a bust.

Do they beat coverage? Do they get seperation? Do they make catches consistently when the ball comes to them? Do they effectively get yards after the catch? Do defenses put special priority on any of them?

You know, all things that the Patriots receivers don't do. They suck. They've sucked for a long time. The GOAT was here and they sucked with him in his last year, they are worse now.

Parker, Shuster and Boutte may not be very "good", but they would likely be serviceable #3's for one of the AFC playoff QB's and perhaps even others.

Some may go so far as to believe that of Thornton. I think that is a major leap; it seems he is simply a bust.
Thornton can't run short routes.

Can he be a deep ball threat for a QB who can throw the deep ball?

I’d suggest staying current with what analysts have seen saying since 2019 that the Pats WR’s have been among the worst in the NFL. This has been mentioned many times on this board, but it’s evident it doesn’t seem to register with some posters.

Do you guys watch the games or sports shows on mute or something? Analysts continually point out how the Pats don’t have anyone on offense that scares D Coordinators. And I mean ANYONE.

Last edited:

Yea I think there is definitely some middle tier players who are largely affected by the person throwing the ball. Parker and Juju can be decent to good in certain situations. They have track records (tbd Boutte). But I have to agree that Thornton has looked just bad and he’d probably be ****ty on any team.

Then you look at Douglas who only has 400 yards but you can tell this kid is going to be decent with a better qb. I said same about Bourne last two years. Bourne had some really solid hands and busts ass. He’s a much better receiver than his stats have shown.

So yea, while Mac doesn’t make it easy to evaluate the ceiling of a receiver, we definitely have a clue based on their routes

Yeah they might be fine as a #3. Problem is here we are using them as a #1

The same question applies to the OL.

Good QBs identify whats coming and adjust the play call or maneuver in the pocket to execute. I have have real doubts if Jones can read NFL defenses.

• Ha Ha
Reactions: sb1
After Josh got dumped in Vegas, there were some telling comments about the system.

Could part of it be that defenses can handle the Pats style of offense much better now?

JJSS got wide open plenty last year. I know his knee probably is slowing him, but still.

How can Joe Judge see if out receivers are any good?

I'd prefer him to stay away from the offense and any personnel decisions made on that side of the ball.

========

do you watch the games? no one is EVER open. defenders are draped all over the receivers 8/10 times. watch other games....there's guys with 3-4 feet of separation constantly across the NFL....that rarely happens on Bill the Coach's team

There’s many guys who review film like Ted Johnson, Bedard, Perry, and others who have commented about how bad our WRs have been and not getting open.

Our offence is a gigantic **** storm that hit all together.

- Swiss cheese o-line who gives up quick pressure

- WRs who can’t get open

- QB who’s pressured with no one open makes bad decisions and loses confidence

Nothing is working with our passing game, and it comes down to a lack of talent at QB, WRs, and o-line

View attachment 54908
Absolutely agreed. Bill invested in unreliable WRs juju and Parker.

No slot WR, no 3rd down back
**** protection
No WR outside of KB,DD made any significant plays.

Go figure Parker recieved an extension, but KB didn't.

Absolutely agreed. Bill invested in unreliable WRs juju and Parker.

No slot WR, no 3rd down back
**** protection
No WR outside of KB,DD made any significant plays.

Go figure Parker recieved an extension, but KB didn't.
BELICHICK THOUGHT THAT
1) we had a reliable QB in Jones.
2) Thornton would be our starting outside receiver by now, with Parker as the backup. The extension was an insurance policy against the failure of Thornton to develop.
3) Juju was healthy and would be a top contributor in our offense led by top 15 QB Jones.
=================================
If Jones was a backup quality NFL QB, I think that we would be arguing about the need for a TOP WR, as we have done since we passed on Terrell and draft Seymour. Perhaps some coach will pay $25M a year for a top QB, but that is unlikely to happen unless the Kraft's sell the team.

The Giants 3rd stringer would probably make all our receivers look better.

Bourne was benched last year. Patricia and Belichick didn't want him to play, never mind get an extension. I suspect that any extension offer would have been a lowball one. Bourne was essentially asked to prove himself in 2023. He did. Given Bourne's 2022 stats, it was right for Bourne to bet on himself and hope for a better offer this coming off-season.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back